JFK connections- SFO to Milan

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JFK connections- SFO to Milan

I am using freq flyer miles to get to Milan from San Francisco on American Airlines. We change planes in JFK.
The connection only allows us 1hr:15 min between flights. Looks like we arrive and leave from terminal 8, so that helps...

Q1: but isnt that cutting it pretty close? Is terminal 8 very big?

Q2 Better to check no luggage?

Q3: I assume we will not have to go thru security again?

We already have the reservations and there seem to be no other options on American. I was lucky to get what I got.

Same problem on the way back. Wont we have to take the bags through customs in JFK? I don't see how we can make it if we do. But thats what they are offering.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
J62

A1. No, terminal 8 isn't that big. you can walk from gate to gate in 10min or less. SFO planes usually arrive at gates 40something. Milan flighs (at least today) departed from gate 39 - a 1min walk from your arrival gate.

A2. Whether you check or carryon only is up to you. It really doesn't matter. AA T8 is pretty efficient.

A3. No, you do not need to go through security again.

Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:47 PM

As long as the flight from SFO is reasonably on time, there is no problem on the flight over and you are correct...you deplane, you walk to the gate of the Milan flight and you're done...no security..no check in (they'll issue your boarding pass at SFO)...terminal 8 is relatively completely refurbished and is quite nice actually...you might even have time to pick up a snack or drink or whatever...

Return is a bit more problematic but since AA is making the booking probably okay but as you noted, you deplane, you have a long walk through a series of underground walkways to US immigration, the queue for US citizens is uaually pretty quick (although it can be long, the inspection process for US citizens is relatively quick), then you will have to pick up your bags off the carousel..time can vary depending on how many other flights are involved, go through the customs inspector, usually no problem, re-deposit your bags outside the customs hall (they will be tagged to SFO) but this time you will have to go through security again...there is just no direct way through to the departure lounge...the good news is there are several flights a day to SFO so if you should mis-connect, they are responsible for getting you on the next available flight but there's little you can do about it unfortunately.
Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 09:47 PM

...you are probably better if you can schlep your bags on board on teh return to not check them...that way once you're through the immigration line you can clear customs pretty quickly.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

I feel better about the outbound trip. As long as flight is no more than 1 hr late we are OK. If late, will have to miss our first day as next flight is 24hrs later.

If we miss home connection, you are right, there are more possibilities to get from JFK to SFO.

By the way, when I booked the flights, there was 1hr 45 mins between connections, but that changed to 1hr 15min. I guess they could change yet again...so I will stop worrying!

Thanks

Tim