Jersey shore in Europe?

Search

Jersey shore in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jersey shore in Europe?

Here's the thing. Two families have vacationed together for 16 years now -- at the Jersey Shore, New Hampshire resorts, and places like the Adirondacks and Block Island. We like to rent a house and cook up a storm, while the kids enjoy the boardwalks and seashore in walking distance; but suite-type hotel rooms are ok too.

Next summer, one family is goin to spend a year in Paris. The other family is prepared to meet them for our shore week, but where?

+ August would be most convenient, but all the guidebooks say not to go to France in August.

+ We could go elsewhere, like maybe Brighton Beach? A lake in Germany? Italy might be too far afield -- although I've been to Forte de Marmi and it might work ok.

+ The kids (4 teenage boys) would want boardwalky-type fun, with shops/ arcades/ skateboard type sports.

+ Self-catering would be nice, but not strictly necessary.

+Maybe we should punt the seashore idea and enjoy a city...the grownups have travelled, but much of Europe is new to the kids.

Wattaya think, Fodorites?
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 12:30 PM

Lots of French people travel in August, but I'd say the thought of a villa or apartment on the French Riviera sounds pretty nice to me
You have beach, you also have sightseeing options
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 12:33 PM

Biscarosse-Plage and Mimizan-Plage, just south of Arcachon on the Atlantic coast, are the closest thing I can think of to the Jersey Shore in France. There are boardwalks and zillions of stores selling beach junk, cotton candy stands, windsailing places, and video arcades and all that, as well as miles of sandy beaches.

You might also consider the area around Biarritz and St-Jean-de-Luz, though they're not as honky-tonk as the beaches farther north.

I would definitely not go in August, as the beaches will be wall-to-wall with sunbathers and the traffic will be awful.

I trust you're comfortable with the main difference between the Jersey Shore and French beaches - that is, the topless issue. Your boys will love it.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 12:48 PM

September in Brittany or Pyrenees Atlantiques.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 01:42 PM

You will NOT (fortunately or unfortunately depending on your point of view) find anything quite the same as cheese steaks, Morey's Piers, tattoo central, FUDGE shops, those "Would you like a little Puerto Rican in you?" T-shirts, and so forth but WHO CARES???

Sounds like a great adventure..."allow" the children to broaden their horizons, too!!!

Have a great trip.