Jenkins Hotel, London and Cheap Eats??

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 02:20 PM
Pat

Jenkins Hotel, London and Cheap Eats??

Has anyone stayed at the Jenkins Hotel before? We booked a 3 nite stay and was wondering if anyone had any firsthand accounts. It received good reviews in Frommer's, Cheap Sleeps, etc. Any help would be appreciated! I was also trying to get a better handle on some of the lesser expensive restaurants for informal dining purposes. By the way, this will be our first visit to London. Thanks for any info!

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 05:51 PM
Sue

Just returned from a fantastic week in London. Not familiar with the hotel you mentioned, but inexpensive, and good eats available in any Pub throughout the city. Fish & chips, sandwiches, salads, other hot food usually priced 2.80 to 5.80 pounds. Enjoy your trip. Highly recommend you go see a play in the evening. Lion King & Cats outstanding. We easily got tickets to Cats on the day of showing. Happy to answer any questions you might have. Wonderful city and fast paced.

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 05:35 PM
Kathy

Sorry - can't help with the hotel. As for cheap eats, I always go for pub food, fish and chips and Indian food and I've rarely been dissapointed. For really cheap, go to one of the many falafel/kebob places. The prices are really cheap (~L3) and they often come with a free salad. For all the bad press London gets about food, I've never had a problem. Enjoy!

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 06:51 PM
Joan

Great vegetarian food--inexpensive--in Covent Gardens. It's called Food for Thought. Also liked the sandwiches at Pret. Enjoy your stay in London!!

Old Sep 26th, 2000, 01:56 AM
paul

The JD Wheatherspoon chain of pubs, do cheap beer and food.
They buy listed buildings, and change them into a pub, The one in Soho is an old picture house.
Thursday night in Curry night. £5, get's you a curry, rice, nan bread and popadum.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 04:52 AM
mary

Pat, I can't help with hotel as I am looking for one myself - I just have a really silly (but serious) question to SUE and KATHY who replied to your query. You mentioned lots of fish and chips. My question: do they just serve the vinegar in England or do they have ample and good tartar sauce. Should I bring my own tartar sauce from home? I can't eat fish without it. Thanks for your patience over such trivia, but I really need to know.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 08:03 AM
Nigel Page

Actually the Brits are quite civilised and yes you can indeed get tartar sauce. No need to drag it with you. Enjoy.