Jeans on Irish women over 40?

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Leslie_in_VA

Jeans on Irish women over 40?

I posted previously on this subject and received both fashion advice and attacks on my patriotism.

What I am trying to find out, however, is not what is comfortable or what would look good on me, but whether you see many Irish women over 40 in jeans.

I'm not trying to repudiate my citizenship, nor am I looking for advice. I'm a seasoned traveler, and I try to dress in a manner that will not offend the locals. That's it. If you've been to Ireland lately, and you noticed what the local women were wearing, please pass that information along. Thank you.

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:27 PM
nbujic

Hi Leslie,
We visited Ireland last year. From what I saw , the women were not very elegant. Dublin seems to be a city of yonge people - so jeans are most likely fine ( if you find them comfortable).

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow is right!

Yes, I belive that some women over 40 that are Irish citzens wear jeans in Ireland. I am certain that you won't offend the Irish by wearing denim. As pointed out on your other nearly identical post, there are different styles of jeans and "over 40" is rather ambiguous. I will say that when seeing an Irish woman wearing jeans, I might have offended them more by asking "Excuse me, are you over 40?" You know, 40 is the new 29 and 3 months.

Sorry that you felt attacked before, though I didn't read it that way. Most people assume that when people come to a forum that generally is used for travel advise and ask a fashion question, that frequently they are looking for advise. I understand that you are a seasoned traveler, but perhaps not as seasoned on travel forums. The responses were certainly not out of line and by no means unusually harsh. Sorry if you were not able to get the information that you needed.

Bill
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Fashions in Ireland are as varied as anywhere in the US. The rule of thumb for over 40s is to be wearing pants

When I think of what women over 40 in Ireland were wearing, I think of what the women working in the shops wear. Usually a solid top and many times fitted and untucked...sometimes with jeans, often with slacks.

I think it is the tops that make Americans stand out more than the pants. Sweatshirts...especially ones with scenes and embroidery...are not common in Ireland.

Visit http://www.dunnesstores.ie and see what they are promoting for their spring collection....which just happens to feature a model who is definitely over 40 (it wouldn't be unusual for any of those tops to be 'dressed down' with jeans in Ireland).
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM

With all due respect, why would you offend a local by wearing jeans? Unless you look ridiculous in them. Go look in a double full length mirror and then decide for yourself. How can people on a forum do this for you?
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:46 PM

LOL I thought this question meant- Should an Irish Woman wear jeans?

Since Leslie in Va has de-registered her screen name, I don't know if she will be around to read this- but- I met a beautiful Irish lady just the other day, at Whole Foods in Portland Oregon.
She was wearing a lovely scarf, Burberry coat and jeans. I am pretty sure she was over 40.

So if you look like her in jeans, I say, go for it
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 01:51 PM

We were in Ireland in June and I am 40.I did take notice of what the other women had on.

When I was cold and had on a sweater and jacket they had on tank tops.

I had on jeans and so did they.

They had on very little jewelry.

No nail polish,did see toes polished.

Very little makeup.

No logos on anything.

The one thing that was the most different was how tiny the women are.I am 5'10 and a size 8,and I felt huge not just tall but BIG.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:07 AM

Author: nbujic
Date: 01/08/2007, 04:27 pm
Hi Leslie,
We visited Ireland last year. From what I saw , the women were not very elegant~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.. Thanks for that

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 07:20 AM

leslie,

In your previous psot you were rather specific in saying that you, " would prefer not to be instantly recognizable as an American...!"

That's quite a bit different than not wanting to offend anyone with your dress.

You'll find that when you go to Europe that Americans are not the only people wearing jeans as I would hope someone has pointed out by now.

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:44 AM

"Author: nbujic
Date: 01/08/2007, 04:27 pm
Hi Leslie,
We visited Ireland last year. From what I saw , the women were not very elegant~~~~~~~~~"

Actually, I am always impressed by the fashion of the women in Ireland. My relatives are very fashion conscious and buy their clothes from the expensive little boutiques as opposed to the Dunnes stores type. I went to a fashion show with them last year. I usually shop in Dunnes or Penny's because of the price. But then I am from "casual" Southern California.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:09 AM
nbujic

my apologizes to all elegant women of Ireland and their relatives.
All I can say is that walking around Dublin and other places most people seemed very casually dressed.
On the other hand, they may have been American women over 40 in jeans!

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 06:54 PM

Leslie,
I was in Ireland in July. Lots of women who looked like the same age as myself(over 40) were in jeans. In fact women of all ages were dressed just like the women in the states. Be comfortable if jeans is that for you wear them. But this is coming from a women who will wear shorts (oh, yes the dreaded shorts) and yes even my cute little nikes! We were in the 80+ weather and I wanted to be comfortable. My name is Leslie also. Go and be comfortable.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:18 PM

Sorry, youz is all is wrong!

You obviously haven’t heard of the recent and far-reaching fatwa issued by the DFF (Department of Fashion Fastidiousness).

My sisters have informed me that, in an effort to ensure that the population shake off the tag of “not being very fashionable”, the Irish government have made it a criminal offence for any woman over the age of 40 to wear jeans, tracksuits, shorts, white running shoes, Birkenstock sandals (with or without socks), certain colours (pink, purple, yellow being the primary culprits), anything in velour (any shape, any size, any colour).

It is important to know that visitors are NOT exempt from this fatwa, as a recent vote in Dail Eireann has put into effect a plan to ensure only the most fashionable of visitors are allowed into the country; returning Diaspora is SO last decade!

A special task force, the FFP (Fashion Fastidiousness Police), patrol the major cities on a regular basis and often make unexpected forays into the countryside to apprehend unsuspecting tourists attending musical sessions. While tourists are generally let off with a caution on the first offence and provided with the address of the nearest Brown Thomas store, serial offenders are often given a custodial sentence, similar to the locals.

Visitors considered serial offenders and local first-time offenders are interned in special camps where they will not be seen by tourists (Darndale, Corduff, Tallaght – if a tourist ever happened on these areas, they are unlikely to get out alive).

Those that show genuine remorse during internment are given the opportunity to attend “Boot Camp” in Paris. Well, that is actually a misnomer; it is actually “Stiletto Camp” – yes, cruelty beyond belief! Women are forced to wear four-inch Chanel sling-backs (one size too small), carrying 50 Kg bags of shopping, while being forced-marched over some of the toughest terrain in Paris: the cobble-stones of the Isle and the Marais; the sandy, uneven pathways of the Jardin des Tuileries; the ultimate – the climb up the steps to the Sacre Coeur.

Embassies world-wide have been alerted to the new laws and have provided the new Irish travel attire requirements to only the BEST retailers. Americans should consult their locals SAKs, Canadians Holts.

Glad to be of Help.

Best regards … Ger

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:44 PM

Ger- You must have a degree in writing! Loved it! As I said before, I am 75yrs. old, live in southern Cal. and wear my jeans all the time (top out, 'tho! Wear the darn jeans whenever and don't fret. Go and enjoy!!
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 08:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ger, you tell your sisters to mail me any Lainey Keogh that I might like.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:03 AM

http://www.mireilleguiliano.com/press/lorenz.htm
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:22 AM

I love it! It's our dirty little secret. ;-)
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:41 AM

That is so funny! I thought there would have to be some with those crepes stands all over the place.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:48 AM

check the cartoon on what to wear. I posted these last years but we have alot of new women posters who will enjoy them
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 01:41 PM

Hilarious Mimi

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -