jaunting carts --yes or no

Jun 25th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

jaunting carts --yes or no

we are 6 adults on our first trip to Ireland. in planning our trip we have received conflicting advice on whether to experience the jaunting carts (near Muckross house ,i assume) . some tell us that it's too expensive ,others say it's a great experience. can i ask you (any and all ) for your experienced opinion? also i can't seem to find a rate /fee for this experience -
many thanks
Jun 25th, 2008, 03:48 AM

If it helps your filtering system, I can tell you that I do not know any Irish person who has ever used one.
Jun 25th, 2008, 04:52 AM

we took the jaunting car ride partway up into Gap of Dunloe, starting from Kate Kearney's cottage. It was very much worth the price (which I have to admit I can't remember precisely). We had 3 of us in one cart, and it was quite crowded, but we are kind of big. We just did the short tour, up and back. You can go on the longer tour all the way through which includes a boatride to Ross Castle and a bus back to Kate's, which is probably a lot of fun.

We saw lots of folks on the carts around Muckross house, and while this looked pleasant, I think Gap of Dunloe was better.
Jun 25th, 2008, 05:11 AM

It is really just a personal opinion. We took one to see the waterfall by the Muckross house which was very nice. It was raining, so it took less time to take the cart. It was cute and we have some funny pictures. It wasn't a very long ride, but it was something different to do. I think you can negotiate the price, but I don't remember.
Jun 25th, 2008, 05:17 AM

We've done it a couple of times and enjoyed it. I'd say go for it. It's fun.
And we got to see some added beautiful scenery.
We did it at Muckross, but it sounds like taking a ride to Gap of Dunloe would be great.
Jun 25th, 2008, 05:21 AM

There were three of us when we took a jaunting car from Killarney (in town) up by the lake and back. It was 5 years ago and I don't remember the price, but I felt it was worth every penny. The driver told all sorts of interesting stories as we went along and even though it was raining, we forgot the weather and enjoyed the sights and stories.

We could never remember after whether it was John the driver and Bob the horse or the other way around, so we just told Bob 'n John stories when we got back (some of which my sister made up).

Also took the jaunting car from Muckross House back to town on another trip and that was fun.

But then little things amuse me and I like many events which others deem "too touristy", but then I am a tourist, am I not? So take my advice for what it is worth.
Jun 25th, 2008, 05:26 AM

A horse and driver were mentioned. Are these jaunting carts similar to fiacres? Thanks!
Jun 25th, 2008, 06:39 AM

I'm sort of with Padraig on this one, but it was a lost cause on my wife. The whole having an animal along for a trip (apparently I would not suffice) was something she could not live without.

I did the Gap of Dunloe with her and by sister and BIL and there was a jaunting car involved. On steep hills you have to get out, especially w/ 4 because the horse can't pull the load. I ended up walking a lot of it because I preferred to enjoy the countryside, take some pictures and experience it rather than hearing stories of dubious authenticity. The drive we had wasn't as ineteresting as his horse IMO.

Bill
Jun 25th, 2008, 06:40 AM

Here is a link to pictures of jaunting cars;

http://www.vacationkillarney.com/Jarvey.htm
Jun 25th, 2008, 07:27 AM

Thanks wojazz! They're fiacres. Very uncomfortable and smelling of horse.
Jun 25th, 2008, 07:39 AM

And just to close the circle for adrienne, the fiacre is ultimately Irish; it is named after the patron saint of cab-drivers, the Irish Fiachra, known in France as Fiacre.
Jun 27th, 2008, 03:37 PM

"......and smelling of horse."

And that's a bad thing????

Jun 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM

My personal opinion/experience: I walk right by as I do not like the rough ride in a cart and am not always in the mood to be schmoozed (sp?) or to hear Big tales. If you enjoy this type of ride and listening to tales straight from the Blarney Stone, then I say go for it. It is your vacation and your money, so other people's opinions are of no consequence.
Jun 27th, 2008, 04:14 PM

This is a no brainer - when you go to Paris you HAVE to go to the top of the Eifel Tower. When you're in Rome you HAVE to throw coins in the Trevi Fountain. When in Switzerland you HAVE to try Fondue. In Germany it's the beer, in New York it's a cab ride and in Florida you go to Disney. It's part of the experience for first time visitors. I get so tired of people being afraid to admit they ARE tourists. No one will think any less of you.
Jun 27th, 2008, 05:14 PM

Thanks Padraig. I knew about St. Fiacre being the patron saint of cabbies (learned about him in Paris while getting some info on Anne of Austria) but I didn't know he was Irish.

maureencol - horse is not the worst smell in the world but it's not nearly the best!
Jun 29th, 2008, 10:54 PM

"maureencol - horse is not the worst smell in the world but it's not nearly the best!"

LOL...to me it's up there next to a turf fire! LOL
Jul 1st, 2008, 12:34 PM

Some people say that when you go to Ireland you HAVE to kiss the Blarney Stone. I HAVE to disagree with them. It has nothing to do with whether people think less of you. It's whether or not it's the kind of activity you like. This is not about being a tourist or touristy, it is a question of the value of the event.

I PERSONALLY don't believe it's worth the expense, but some people love it. There aren't many other experiences like it, so if it's something you like the idea of, go for it. On the other hand, there are lots of Blarney options, so I usually suggest the options.

Again, I don't think this has anything to do with being touristy, it's a question of value.

By the way, I believe Deros tours has a price for the ride over the gap of dunloe if you pre book or you can bargain with the driver. I think prices for the rides around Muckross are up to the drivers and supply and demand.

Bill
Jul 1st, 2008, 01:30 PM

When we took the Gap of Dunloe tour (last summer), I believe we were told we could hire a jaunting cart for 20E each when we got to Kate Kearney's. As we were on a budget and (relatively) in shape, we elected to walk the Gap instead. I have no idea about fees to other parts of the park.

I personally prefer walking. I think for anyone else, it would depend on how active you are and whether you're used to walking whatever distance you're talking about, as well as if you want to pay for it. If you walk, you can stop whenever you like to take pictures or just enjoy things. If you take the carts, you get to sit and listen to stories while you watch the scenery. It's just a matter of budget and your travel style.
Jul 3rd, 2008, 07:28 PM

Wojazz, I remember reading your account before we went to Ireland 2 years ago. I was afraid we would have to walk uphill, which I really didn't want to do, and was even prepared to pay for 2 carts if necessary.

our poor old horse did drag the 3 of us the whole way. And, honestly, we add up to a lot of weight. the driver walked much of the way, although she occasionally jumped on the cart for downhill sections.

I can't recall for sure, but I think we paid 40 Euros for the ride. It was about 90 minutes. I enjoyed the driver's stories. And it was really empty the day we were there, nobody else on the road, except a couple of bicycles.

One could certainly walk it, and it would be very nice. But I loved the car ride. probably the only negative is I didn't get many good pictures, because we were generally moving, or it was awkward from the cart. Also, it really was crowded...not what I'd call a comfortable ride.
Jul 7th, 2008, 08:11 AM

I have to laugh...There is a comedy show on here called Naked camera and its kind of undercover TV. They filme candid Camera Style and were at the Carts in Killarney. The Comedian runs up to a driver and has handcuffs on and wants a lift....to Belfast and has a bag of money. The horse driver is hilarious saying to him "Jesus what are you after doing?!" Padraig you can appreciate this its too funny as you are not sure he is taking him serious or not as he wants to return the bag of money to the gard awho jokimngly handcuffed him when they stopped for a pint in the pub... I still think its a racket and would myself Not take one but if I was in Vencice I might take a Gondola so there! Jusst to say i had the experience even though its a rip off!