January in Sicily?

Aug 24th, 2001, 10:29 AM
Helga

January in Sicily?

To those of you who know Sicily: is January a good month to visit there? Is it warm? Any suggestions for a hotel or resort base for day trips. Many thanks

Aug 24th, 2001, 10:37 AM
Nutella

I was in Sicily during a February and it was COLD. Wool coat weather. Pleasant when sunny but not so pleasant for sightseeing when cloudy. On one hand I was literally the only tourist in some of the towns I visited, which was a unique amazing experience. On the other hand, Sicily has beautiful islands and coast that can best be enjoyed in warmer weather.

Aug 24th, 2001, 10:38 AM
Helga

A friend and I were in Sicily in April and weather was pleasant, just like California. You could base in Palermo, but it was not our favorite city. We particularly enjoyed Cefalu not far away, and went to Messina, Taormina, Catania, Syracusa, Agrigento. We took the short ferry ride to Reggio Calabria from Messina and liked it. Sicily is a very interesting island with lovely views all around. The train rides are particularly nice across the island with citrus trees, flowers, etc. The people were very pleasant. Have fun!

Aug 24th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Davidx

I have been in early February and it was great then. If you send me an e-mail I will attach some notes I made which may help you decide where to base yourself. There is so much to see in different parts that I hope you might pick more than one centre. What is for certain is that when you return there will be masses that you owuld like to have seen in addition to the wonderful things you have seen. You might have guessed that I fell for Sicily!

Aug 24th, 2001, 02:04 PM
Micia

It is not warm by any means in my opinion, however, I am not from Alaska either.
I would say that unless you are use to cold climates and do not get cold easily, it won't be to bad for you.
However, if you are like most of the population, and most Italians, you will bring a good winter coat.
Hope you have a great time and enjoy the food.
Expect it to be windy around the water and high places.

Also, basically anywhere you go will be nice, and the people are great.

Aug 25th, 2001, 11:07 AM
michele

Helga,
I was in Sicily several years ago in January and it POURED the entire week.
Despite every guidebook's promises of "mild weather", I later learned from reading "Persephone's Island" that IF it's going to rain, that's the month for it. At any rate, even if it's dry, it will not be warm. YOu'll need a jacket or lined raincoat.

Michele

Aug 25th, 2001, 11:34 AM
Jenny

Spent a week in Sicily end of Jan. 99. Love the island, but the weather wasn't the greatest. Wet and cold mostly. And many restaurants and hotels were closed. We flew to Palermo, picked up a car and drove around the island. No problems finding places to stay. Taormina is lovely. The ruins at Agrigento and Selinunte are most impressive. Will be going back next week for a week.

Aug 26th, 2001, 08:50 AM
jenny

Just discovered a most useful website for Sicily. www.bestofsicily.com

Sep 4th, 2001, 03:24 AM
Caro

Tip for hotel in Sicily: Hotel Torre Artale. This beautiful 3* hotel is situated between Palermo and Cefalu, in a town called Trabia. It's an old villa that has been renovated. I staid here in June and I'm going back next year!
hotel website: www.torreartale.com

Sep 6th, 2001, 03:44 AM
Marget

Helga,
My husband and I have lived in Sicily for a year now. We're originally from Florida, but January is COLD!!! High humidity makes for bone chilling days with some wind. But, as suggested, you will beat the large crowds and have an incredible experience. Should you decide to wait until another month, I can tell you do not come in August (all Italians take their vacation and most shops/restaurants are closed) February brings "Carnivale", a Mardi-Gras Italian style! June 1 usually begins the season and prices for hotels will be high. rainy season begins mid-October through March, with March being the wettest. All told, she's a beautiful island and well worth "un ombrello"! Ciao!

Sep 8th, 2001, 10:22 AM
topper

Topping for Cia