January in Languedoc/Rousellon

Old Apr 7th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
January in Languedoc/Rousellon

Our intention is to house hunt, to find something small to escape to for 3 months of the year. The only time at this stage that I can get there is early January. I am considering Carcassonne as a base, but open to other suggestions. We will have a car and have a number of agencies organising to show us places.

Just after some general thoughts about using Carcassonne as a base, ( accom recomendations appreciated). I know its not the greatest time to visit but what the hey !!

ps, travelling from Australia.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 05:08 AM

I suppose Carcassonne makes sense if you are working with agencies to help you find a place, but I wouldn't stay there, even in January when the tourist stream will be slow. I also suppose, since you misspell the area (it's Roussillon) that you haven't really done much homework. If I were house hunting in the area I'd be basing myself in the Castelnaudary, Puylaurent, Graulhet, St-Fériol area, but of course it all depends on what you're looking to buy. Maybe if you tell us what your goal is, it would be easier to give you suggestions.
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 06:33 AM

It seems peculiar, at least to me, that someone would execute a supplemental home purchase without thoroughly investigating an area and without having spent a good deal of time in the region.

As you have no specific purchase motives other than a place to escape, Carcassonne is perhaps as good as any location. If you have not done a good amount of internet research before you arrive, you might want to consider:

http://www.expatriates.com/
http://www.totalfrance.com/
Old Apr 7th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, not enough time spent on the original post...and done late at night.

For the last 12 months we have been narrowing down the area in which we want to purchase a small holiday home. For use in 2 or 3 years time when i decide to semi retire.Most of our previous visits to France have been Paris and north, other than 10 days in Provence.

The process from Australia is a bit hit and miss but we have decided that the south western corner has what we need. It is close to the Spanish border and also has some easy access to ski slopes, plus there is a good mix of mountain and seaside within easy drive. The TGV is also reasonably close.

We are leaning towards the area between Montpellier and Perpginan, until we actually spend some time there we are not sure about on the coast or slightly inland, I personally like some of the small villages around Beziers,Autignac ,Servian and Cazouls. My wife is more inclined to coastal places

In January we will be meeting up with our daughters in Paris and we want to take them south with us for a week whilst we house hunt, a friend had suggested Carcassonne as the girls would have things to do if they did want to look at properties, otherwise we would have considered a Gite. I am very open to other suggestions as to a base.
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 02:22 AM

Hi Marko - we are booked to spend a week in Agde (not Cap d'agde, but Agde). We picked it because it seemed like a 'quaint town' that was close to the touristy amentities that the kids might want to take advantage of (we plan to do some scuba diving), while not being "in" them, and day trip able to Pont du Gard, Millau/Tarn, Carcassonne which were the 'outer reaches' of where we plan to visit. We haven't stayed their yet, but will in June, so I can only comment on pre-visit experience, but the owner has been really helpful, given good refrences etc. She has a little collection of properties www.med-holidays.com I'll do a trip report when I get back
Old Apr 8th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Canada !!