Reload this Page >

I've just seen the Queen (Really)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 02:40 AM
david west

I just left my office to get a pint of milk (being English I grind to a halt without regular doses of tea). <BR><BR>Next thing...<BR><BR>Motorcycle outriders close of the street, closely followed by a motorcade, and in the back of a jag...HRH The Queen.<BR><BR>She must be lost to be in Clerkenwell.<BR><BR>She was going very quickly so I couldn't see if she was eating swans.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 03:11 AM
spoon

Yawn!<BR><BR>Work by St Paul's she comes past frequently...presumably on her way to stick pins in commoners incarcerated in the Tower for eating swans.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Anita

We were in London in time for the Trooping of the Colors. We waited near Buckingham Palace & were talking with a policeman. Bands & marching troops had been passing for a while. Then from a distance to our left side came a carriage so of course everyone looked. I asked if that was the Queen's carriage & he said that it wasn't. There would be more "noise" when the Queen passed. A short time later another carriage came out & he whispered "That's the Queen". If he hadn't said it I would never have guessed. The crowd was no more noisy than before. I guess I expected cheering & stuff like you see here when political people do their thing. Still it was a beautiful day & the crowds were very pleasant.Not like most times in the US where you get jostled around.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Drinkapinta

David, sounds as if she was getting the milk in, too. <BR>By the way - did you demote her intentionally? I bet you did. It's HM The Queen and all the rest are HRHs.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:50 AM
david west

I was in the local budgens. <BR><BR>I did wonder about the small well spoken woman hanging around the Swan counter.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Pinta

And what was one tippling?

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:56 AM
db

was she swanning around or buying swan vestas

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:23 AM
kirkbyblue

Does anyone really care about an upper-class septogenarian parasite's movements?

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:24 AM
brit

nope

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Buckingham

I was in her house 2 weeks ago ( along with 20,000 other tourist )and I must say she lives in some nice digs.<BR><BR>Very nice indeed.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Queen

Go down to new Orleans on Bourbon Street and you'll see more Queens than you can shake a stick at.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:37 AM
brit

excellent! coz Bourbon St and New Orleans is where I'm going on hol next year. Far more interesting

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:52 AM
curious

Ok, call me uninformed or just american. Possibly they're the same thing but whats the deal with all the "swan" reverences??

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 06:18 AM
kirkbyblue

In this wonderful monarchy we call the UK, only members of the Royal family are allowed to eat swan. Keeps us commoners in our place don't you know?

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 06:32 AM
CAgal

I saw the Queen (AND Phillip) years ago in Cupertino, CA. She was in a limo headed to tour Hewlett-Packard. True story. Don't think she was eating swans then either.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Starbuck

Is royalty allowed to go to Starbucks for frapuchinos? Or should I say fraputeanos?

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 06:34 AM
david west

Well she should keep away from her ravens if this tale from todays Guardian is anything to go by:<BR><BR>A hand-reared raven with royal connections stunned its owner when it<BR>told him to "shut up".<BR><BR>Zeus, whose father is one of the Queen's famous flock at the Tower of<BR>London, suddenly started speaking when he was six months old.<BR><BR>Now the bird, which should be the jewel in bird of prey exhibitor<BR>Richard Cooper's crown, has become the thorn in his side by mimicking<BR>family and friends.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Lizzie

Except she called it Hewlett PacKARD.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Red

You saw Freddie Mercury? I thought he was dead.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:08 PM
MaryC

God save Freddie Mercury!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -