Search

Itinerary to Peloponnese,Meteora,Pelion and islands

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2020, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary to Peloponnese,Meteora,Pelion and islands

Hi
i am planing to visit greece either in september 2020 or in June 2021 depends to the post covid19 situation.
My program is as follows:
Day 1: Earlier arriving to Athens airport(5:30 am) to epidavros (i visied nafplio, mycenes ,mystras , laconia and Mani from some years ago)
Day 2: Epidavros -Galatas-Poros
Day 3: Poros -Galatas --pylos
Day 4: pylos
Day 5: koroni
Day 6: koroni
Day 7: Finikounda
Day 8: Finikounda
Day 9: Ancient Messina -Demitsana
Day 10: Demitsana
Day 11: kalavryta
Day 12: Kalavryta -Diakofto- Galaxidi
Day 13: Galaxidi -Delphi -arachova
Day 14: kastraki( Meteora).
Day 15 Kastraki (Meteora)
Day 16-17-18-19-Pelion
Day 20 Athens airport ,piraeus to Syros
Day 21 Syros
Day 22 Syros
Day 23-24-25-26 Amorgos
Day 27-28-29 Astypalea
Day :30-31 Athens
departure
The scond option for the islands is :
Day 20 Athens airport to skiathos
Day 21-22 Skiathos
Day 23-24-25-26 -27 Skopelos
Day 28 Skiathos - fly to Athens
Day 29 - 30 Athens
​​​​​​​Day 31 departure

I'd greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions! .
Old May 25th, 2020, 03:46 AM

I've only been to some of those places so my only comment is that if you want to travel from the Pelion to Skiathos, you could take the ferry and not travel all the way to Athens. I prefer Greece in the spring rather than the autumn, but that's personal choice.

Do you plan to travel by bus or by car?
Old May 25th, 2020, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Peloponnese,Meteora ,Pelion and islands

Thank you for your reply.
yes, i will rent a car and this is why i have to return to athens airport for the drop off .
The itinerary i planned can't be done without car. Unless ,i make two separate trips ,one to the north starting from Thessaloniki to edessa florina, lake prespas ,kastoria zagoria ,ioannina ,meteora , and thessaliniki for 2 days ,and take the bus to volos port for the sporades.
The second trip will include the peloponnese,(epidavros , poros ,Messenia , arcadia , kalavryta, galaxidi ,delphi and the pelion ) or/ from arcadia to Patras , the ferry to kefalonia ,lefkada(i have to search for a rent car agency which allow to tranport the car on the ferry) and il will return to athens via naufpactos and galaxidi.

Old May 26th, 2020, 07:28 AM

As above: take the car and passengers ferry FB Proteus from Volos to Skiathos - Skopelos - Alonissos and back to Mantoudi.
Old May 27th, 2020, 12:33 AM

Most, if not all, of those destinations in Messinia can be visited from one base, but your itinerary only shows days, not nights. For instance, when we visited the area, stayed in Petalidi, and visited Ancient Messene, Pylos, Koroni, and Methoni from there. I don’t remember stopping in Finikounda, but it’s near Methoni. There is also an interesting monastery near Ancient Messene, worth a short stop.
Old May 28th, 2020, 01:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you a lot for your replies.
What about Koroni as a base to explore Messini and to go around .I am not much to beaches.However a good sea view is very plaisant when in a terrace of restaurant or cafes .Sometimes ,it is nice to swim in a lovely sandy beach .I prefer a picturesque town with beautiful architecture, nice center square ,shops, cafes ,restaurant loads of life in the evening .From there ,each day we can visit other villages ,forteresses ,museums ,palaces ....

Old Jun 6th, 2020, 01:50 AM

Ancient Messene is fabulous, don’t miss it. Within Koroni castle you’ll find a picturesque convent with a gorgeous flower filled garden - do show respect to the friendly and welcoming nuns by by covering knees and shoulders. Within Pylos castle is the archaeological museum holding the finds from Nestor’s Palace (guidebooks might still show the museum as being in Chora but it relocated recently). There are boat trips from the harbour at Pylos. My favourite beach is Tsapi, between Koroni and Finikounda. It is reached down a very winding road with unfenced drops, and when you get there you’ll find 2 tavernas and a small whitewashed church. Voidokilia beach is of course amazing - completely undeveloped so take water and shade if planning to stay a while. Thessaloniki is a beautiful and interesting city. On the way to Ioannina stop off at the alpine town of Metsovo. Between Ioannina and Arta take a short detour to Dodoni. Of course you can check out other Thessaloniki attractions. If you like archeology you have to go to Vergina and Pella, also visit the beautiful national archaeological museum of Thessaloniki and walk around the upper districts of Thessaloniki. If you can drive around there will be plenty of fantastic places that deserve attention. On the way to Volos from Thessaloniki check the villages of Litochoro and Palaios Panteleimonas, Platamonas Castle, you can also visit some beautiful waterfalls at the outskirts of Olympos (Urlias Stream).
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the interesting suggestions and the information about the beach of Tsapi near Koroni the recently relocated meseum in the castle of Pylos and the visit of the archaeological meseum of Thessaloniki.
Urlias stream seems beautiful as Polylimnio and Neda watefalls in Messina !
From the photos , Palaios panteleimonas is a beautiful mountain village on the way from Thessaloniki to volos. Palaios is not to be confused as i wrote it uncorrectly the first time , with Plairos which is also a picturesque village near Preveza !
Also , Litochoro seems a picturesque village near olympos .
Of course i can't miss Metsovo and Dodoni.

Regarding my initial itinerary ,do you think that it is better to separate the trip in the Peloponnese from the mailand trip in the center and the north of Greece into two trips?

There are 2 options:
The first one ,i wil start from Thessaloniki to Vergina,Pella ,Nymfaio(overnight) ,Kastoria 3 nights with an excursion to the Lake prespa, and from kastoria to Ioannina (2 nights) zagoria villages (3 nights ),Parga (2 nights) and on the way to Meteora , visit syvota and overnight in Metsovo before to continue to Meteora (2 nights ) and return to Thessaloniki to leave the car and stay 2 nights to visit the city (Total 16 nights)
From Thessaloniki to Volos by bus and the ferry to Skopelos ,4 nights ,Alonissos ,2 night and Skiathos (3 nights).
All this option (25 nights )

Second option:

I)-Starting from Athens airport to Argolida to visit Corinthia and Epidavros(overnight in Palia epidavros , galatas to poros (1 night) and hydra(1 night) return to poros and overnight in nafplio (1 night ) with the option to stay in Nafplio during all the 4 nights as a base to explore the region.

II- Direction to Messinia to visit Pylos (3 nights to explore Methoni, gialova, voidolikia , ) koroni (2 nights ), after i will visit ancien Messina and overnight in karytaina (1 night) Demitsana and Stemnitsa ( I night ) ,olympia (1 night),kalvryta (1 night to take the train to diakofo ) cross the bridge to nafpactos an overnight in Galaxidi (1 night ) Delphi ,arachova and Athens airport.

III- Fly to Astypalea for 3 nights, the ferry to amorgos 4 nights ,syros 3 nights and return to piraeus(or start from piraeus to syros ,amorgos ,astypalea and fly to Athens (2 nights).
Total for this option (26 nights)
What do you think ?

Old Jun 8th, 2020, 01:47 AM

"What do you think ?"

I think you already got answers to your questions in your other threads
Old Jun 9th, 2020, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

As you can see, i haven't received from 25th May untill the 6th June 2020 ( 10 days) any reply that could help me ,so i had to make a new post.
Also ,posting a new post with some rectifications can open the door for more people with different opinions to see it and share their remarks .
​​Thank you for your reply anyways.
Old Oct 6th, 2020, 06:38 AM

Hi, did you do the trip this september, if you did please let us know what were the best places and if you really did have a good time there!