What to wear? Help, please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a teenage guy visiting Scotland this October...I want to look classy, but not over-the-top. I want to fit in, and not look like a tourist (my greatest phobia). I was thinking khakis, a vest, and a blazer, but I am open to suggestions.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also, which is better. A backpack, or a messenger bag?

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 04:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>><i>I want to fit in, and not look like a tourist (my greatest phobia). I was thinking khakis, a vest, and a blazer, but I am open to suggestions.</i><<

OK -- first of all where are you going in Scotland and what are your plans? I can think of almost no situation where you'd want/need a blazer and vest (waistcoat to English speakers )

2nd -- you will instantaneously be picked out as a tourist no matter what you wear. (Sorry, but why would that be soooooo terrible since a tourist is what you are? ) You will have different brands of clothing, or a different hairstyle, just the way one walks can be a give away . . . And then the instant you open your mouth all doubt is gone.

But honestly - a vest/blazer except for a very posh event - No need.

Basically - wear what you would normally wear.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 04:27 PM

what are your plans? any very upscale if not I would do a leather jacket versus a blazer - warmer and better in the rain
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Basically - wear what you would normally wear."

Depends rather on what that is. Droopy pants and T-shirts with offensive slogans, not so much.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 05:37 PM

>>Droopy pants and T-shirts with offensive slogans, not so much.<<

I honestly doubt someone who is considering a blazer and vest is in danger of wearing drop crotch jeans and smutty tee shirts
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 05:42 PM

A teenager on Fodors? Who wants to look "classy"? Ok well have a good time.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 05:44 PM

Khakis in October? You'd better bring a lot of them for when it rains and they get filthy!

When was the last time you saw a teenager in a vest and blazer except for special occasions or as part of a school uniform? This would definitely mark you as an outsider.

You're awfully young to be worried about looking like a tourist.

I would dress for the weather and with what you already own. Bring some sweaters and a waterproof jacket.
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 07:30 PM

You seem to think you have to "dress up" to go to the UK. You don't. In fact, you'll look exactly like what you don't want to look like if you do. Wear casual clothes like the ones I presume you wear at home, like jeans, long-sleeved shirts, a sweater, sweatshirt. If you wear khakis (which are NOT all that cool in Europe) and a vest and jacket, you will decidedly look totally un-cool. Be prepared for wet weather, wear layers, and make it casual unless you have "events" to attend. This isn't something to fret about. You will see many young folks in the UK looking a lot sloppier than you will be.

Have a great trip!
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Scotland, a vest is an undershirt.

Why don't you wear a kilt?

Scotland the Brave; she is no more.

Thin
Old Aug 30th, 2013, 07:52 PM

The great thing about being young is that "youth culture" is pretty consistent across cultures and usually casual, IMO.

However, you asked for help, so -- I'm wondering about well cut and clean dark jeans, a pair of decent dark slacks--I would not go for khakis--a button down shirt, and a pair of dark shoes. What about dark new balance or nike shoes with dark socks? I like the idea of the leather bomber jacket if you have one, or a sweater and windbreaker. Travel umbrella!

IF you are interviewing for a spot at University of St. Andrews, or attending a high brow golf event, etc., that sort of thing--events, as StCirq says--then the slacks, button down shirt, and, ok, blazer (I'd go to upscale resale shop for a $25 version) with dark shoes could serve.

For day in and day out, casual is likely to work well.
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 12:33 AM

On this looking like a tourist thing. Yesterday I passed a group of middle-aged people with a guide, so obviously tourists. I thought, German, Italian, out of town British?
Singly, you wouldn't have given them a glance.
Aha, a circumferentially challenged one in white trainers and a baseball hat. They must be American. Sure enough, they were, but all but one were dressed perfectly normally.
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 01:47 AM

Scotland at that time of the year is wet and rather cold. Leather jackets are heavy and not necessarily that warm. How about a nice wool coat and dark clothes, including a couple of warm jumpers and long sleeved tees? You will find yourself doing less laundry that way, but you have to pack extra clothes for layering. Comfortable walking shoes that are at least somewhat waterproof: definitely. Hat/scarf/umbrella: yes. And a messenger bag would go great with that ensemble. Don't forget to pack extra socks.

Wow I sound like your mother. I need to go do something immature to balance my day.
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 01:50 AM

You're going to stand out no matter what you wear so give up all hope of fitting in and instead focus on enjoying yourself. For the most part people don't care that you're a tourist. You won't even register to them unless you're acting like an ass.

Khakis? No. Wear jeans. The darker the better.

Backpack or messenger bag? Whatever is more comfortable for you carry. Which I carry depends on what's in it.
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 01:53 AM

Do you have skinny jeans? Wear those as they're all the rage right now.

A black pea coat always looks good.

I have only seen a handful of people wearing New Balance and they tend to be American.
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 02:08 AM

Red trousers will immediately identify you as an individual with class!
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 02:21 AM

An England football jersey will go down a treat! It would go well with the red trousers. ;-)
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 03:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I just returned from two weeks in Scotland. I made a point of noticing that people appeared to dress exactly as they do where I live, in Massachusetts. Including khakis.

The host with whom we spent a weekend is wearing khakis in my photos, I just checked to make sure (because I do live in a bubble, and it is true that I am not the most fashionable person and I frequently do not notice things). But it's true that he is not a teenager.

The friend who accompanied me on the trip said people throughout Scotland were dressed more casually than she would expect. She lives near Washington, DC.
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 03:43 AM

New Balance sneakers are quite fashionable in London at the moment - here in Belgium too.

From an article in the Independent, April this year:
'the New Balance late-Seventies running silhouette has become favoured once again among fashion insiders'

Bradley; don't worry, wear whatever you wear at home, make sure you have comfortable shoes and a warm waterproof jacket. If you are going to wear clothes that you do not normally wear, you will not be at ease.
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 08:30 AM

>>warm jumpers<<

Translation -- jumper equals pullover sweater (not the ladies dress it would be in the States)

Nikki: Yes, Khakis would be great . . . in summer. The OP is not visiting in Summer so would definitely stand out.
Old Aug 31st, 2013, 08:35 AM

Wear clothes, not too much, mostly plants. Or something like that...I'm paraphrasing.

~Liz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -