Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary - Spain - Fill in the Blank Days

Aug 3rd, 2011, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Hi all, I shared my original itinerary with my husband and it got all turned around. Can you please fill in the blank days of 10 through 13 with the intention of getting a day trip into Morocco (I know the day will be long day) and ending up somewhere in the Costa del Sol area? We will have a car starting in Sevilla.
1. Home – Paris
2. Paris
3. Paris
4. Paris
5. Paris-Cordoba (by Train, then rent car
6. Cordoba (Car)
7. Cordoba-Sevilla (train - rent car)
8. Sevilla
9. Sevilla
10. Sevilla to ?
14. Granada
15. Granada – Madrid (by train)
16. Madrid
17. Madrid
18. Madrid - Home

Thanks for all your help.
Aug 3rd, 2011, 07:00 AM

I would move Granada to the 11 and 12 day and head for Madrid. There are many worthwhile towns to see in easy day trips from Madrid. I would skip Morocco, for a single day trip.

Vueling flies from Paris to Sevilla. A train train would be interminable. Then adjust your schedule accordingly.
Aug 3rd, 2011, 07:02 AM

Sorry pne more thing, I would not rent a car if you staying in Granada and Sevilla and Cordoba. Spanish buses and trains are fine.
Aug 3rd, 2011, 07:38 AM

Another vote for the "skip Morocco" school of thought. The day trip goes to Tangier, which is nothing like the rest of Morocco. It's dirty, pushy and not worth the time.

Maybe fill in your days with a stay in Marbella. It's a handy base for the white villages and is a nice resort in its own right, quite upmarket.
Aug 3rd, 2011, 08:40 AM

I agree with skipping Morocco, at least if you only have time for a daytrip to Tangier.

Basically if I count correctly you have 13 nights to visit Madrid & Andalucia (with an interest specifically in Cordoba, Sevilla & Granada). I'd be tempted to do something like this:

Sevilla - 3-4 nights; fly from Paris
If you want to do any daytrips I'd stay at least 4 nights otherwise 3 nights for Sevilla itself will be OK. There are all kinds of daytrips feasible by public transportation from Sevilla (Jerez, Arcos, Cadiz, Carmona, Sanlucar, etc...).

Granada - 2 nights; bus or train from Sevilla

Cordoba - 1-2 nights; bus from Granada
Note: many people visit Cordoba as a daytrip from Sevilla. This can be done if you want to hit the main tourist sites in the Juderia area, the Alcazar and the Mezquita. But Cordoba is a great city to visit for 1-2 nights if you have the time.

Madrid: 4 nights; AVE (train) from Cordoba
Do at least one daytrip (if not both) - Toledo and/or Segovia

This still leaves 1-2 nights. With these 1-2 nights you could add time in Paris OR you could rent a car in Sevilla and spend this time exploring the white villages between Sevilla & Granada. Drop the car on arrival in Granada.

Other ideas:

Vueling also flys to Malaga. You could fly Paris to Malaga spend a couple of days in Malaga. Then head to Granada (bus) for 2 nights, then Sevilla by bus/train for 3-4 nights, then Cordoba 1-2 nights, and end up in Madrid.
Aug 3rd, 2011, 08:41 AM

Forget to ask: when is your trip? Depending on the time of year for your trip you may want to sequence the cities in a particular order.
Aug 3rd, 2011, 08:51 AM

You don't say what time of year you are going. There is Cadiz, Ronda and Malaga to consider. I also agree with everything Aduchamp said. I would add another night to Seville.
Aug 4th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

I will start my travel either September 16 or September 21. I adjusted my itinerary based on your comments. How does this one look? We do like to rent a car as we like to do a lot of sightseeing on our own, but I don't want to hassle with parking

1. Home – Paris
2. Paris
3. Paris
4. Paris
5. Paris - Sevilla (Plane)
6. Sevilla
7. Sevilla
8. Sevilla
9. Sevilla to Costa de Sol (get a car)
10. Costa de Sol (car)
11. Costa de Sol (car)
12. Granada (turn in car)
13. Granada
14. Granada – Madrid (train)
15. Madrid
16. Madrid
17. Madrid
18. Madrid - Home

Thank you all for your comments.
Aug 4th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

I will start my travel either September 16 or September 21. I adjusted my itinerary based on your comments. How does this one look? We do like to rent a car as we like to do a lot of sightseeing on our own, but I don't want to hassle with parking

1. Home – Paris
2. Paris
3. Paris
4. Paris
5. Paris - Sevilla (Plane)
6. Sevilla
7. Sevilla
8. Sevilla
9. Sevilla to Costa de Sol (get a car)
10. Costa de Sol (car)
11. Costa de Sol (car)
12. Granada (turn in car)
13. Granada
14. Granada – Madrid (train)
15. Madrid
16. Madrid
17. Madrid
18. Madrid - Home

Thank you all for your comments.
Aug 4th, 2011, 02:28 PM

If you have not visited Paris in the past, spending more time in Paris than Seville would be my choice.
Aug 4th, 2011, 02:42 PM

This looks good. The only comment is if you decide to shift more time to Paris I'd probably use a day from the Costa del Sol vs Sevilla. I'd probably choose the White villages vs the Costa del Sol, but that's my personal choice. I would definately visit Cordoba as a daytrip from Sevilla.