Reload this Page >

Itinerary questions about Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 05:22 PM
jay wagner

I'm sending my folks to Rome for their their 40th wedding anniversary and am trying to prepare an itinerary that is structured enough to help them see the sites, but loose enough that they don't have to rush, rush, rush. They'll spend five nights in Rome, arriving at 8:42 a.m. They are well-traveled in the U.S., have an interest in how people live, havea cursory interest in art, which you can't avoid in Rome, and like a good meal and a nice hotel room. Do you think five days is too much? Ideas?

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 06:09 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Jay, Your first stop should be at this site: www.twenj.com Then, contact the Scala Reale people for perhaps 2 of their tours. Five days is about right for a good orientation to Rome.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 08:32 AM
Vita

Jay, I'm leaving for my first trip to Italy this week. Woohoo! I've also scheduled for 5 nights in Rome so I could dedicate 1 day to the Vatican; 1 day for the Forum, Colosseum, etc.; 1 day for the area around the Spanish Steps, 1 day for Trastavere, and 1 to just hang out and either revisit areas that I like or chill or just walk around. From my research, I don't think that 5 nights is too much and it will allow for a relaxing trip. If your parents find that they don't like Rome, they can always do a day trip to one of the charming surrounding towns.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 10:47 AM
paul

I was in Rome with my wife for a wedding anniversary. The previous year in Florence a young operator prepare a nice itinerary (four days)for us. <BR>It was the first time in Rome and we'll never forget. Contact this girl at [email protected]

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 02:00 PM
John G

5 days in Roma? That is too little. You need at least 9 days, and that is not enough. I send everyone who is going to Roma the first time to the Borghese Gardens. This is where Romans like to play, walk the dog, roller skate, etc. You can rent a bike, jog, sit on a bench and see how real people relax. I think it is one of the best places in Roma. Frankly, the Vatican is so overwhelming, that you need days to see everything. Send your parents there just to see the Sistine Chapel and San Pietro's Basilica then have them move on to something else. Trying to cram everything in in a couple of hours will have their heads spinning. If your parents like to sit at outside cafes, send them to Trastevere. It is full of restaurants and is fun at night. I know that most people want to see the Fontana di Trevi, but it is always so crowded with tourists that you can hardly get closed to it. I personally feel it is a waste of time. I do recommend the Spanish Steps, however. There is great shopping on the Via Condotti and you can sit on the steps and talk to Italian teenagers. They love to talk to Americans. If you go up the steps and turn to the left onto the Via Trinita d. Monte you will find many cafes with tables under beautiful shade trees. This is near the Piazza del Popolo, and across the street are the Borghese Gardens. When are your parents leaving? I could email my friend who lives in Roma and have him recommed a nice restaurant or something he thinks is special to see that tourist don't go to. Ciao, John G.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:14 AM
jwagnerdsm

Oct. 24 to the 30th.