itinerary planning advice

Old Feb 18th, 2020, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itinerary planning advice

We are headed to France next month, March 19-27, with 8 full days/nights on the ground. We plan to fly in/out of Paris, as it appears to be the easiest and most sensical option. Our rough plan looks as follows. Would love perspective as to if this plan makes sense, is too much, or is even doable. We prefer natural scenery to big cities and want to explore markets, drink wine, walk villages, perhaps bike, and get a feel for the country. We are active and in our fourties. Thanks in advance!

day 1 - Arrive in Paris. spend day exploring or take train straight to Aix en Provence
day 2: take train to Aix or spend day in Aix exploring (if took train there on day 1) - overnight in Aix
day 3: rent car. Explore Provence/Luberon - overnight in Aix
day 4: keep rental car: Explore Gorges du Verdon - overnight in Aix
day 5: keep rental car: Explore St. Remy/les Baux, Pont du Gard - overnight in St Remy and return car in St Remy
day 6: train to Loire Valley. Tours?? overnight in Loire Valley
day 7: explore Loire Valley. Do we need to rent another car? or can we train to see chateaus? overnight in Loire Valley
day 8: train back to Paris. Explore remainder of day. Overnight in Paris. Fly home next morning.

Old Feb 18th, 2020, 01:55 PM

In March?
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 01:56 PM

In March?

Just check the climate for those places in March.
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 02:36 PM

Yeah - you're moving around too much.

You have either 1 half-day in Paris or 2 half-days. I assume you have been to Paris before & don't really want to focus on Paris for this trip.

I assume you intend to return the car in Avignon (not St Remy) & take the train from there. It is a 5 hr plus train ride with a train change, (plus maybe a station change in Paris). So day 6 is a complete loss and not a fun day. You therefore only have 1 day in the Loire. And what if the weather is foul???

Day 4 is the Gorges du Verdon & Aix. If my count is correct - that's a Sunday. Aix will be dead - except for museums & churches. What if the weather is foul?? I would hate to be on the Route du Cretes in the Gorge (where are the best views are located) on a rainy day. That drive scares me on a perfect day.

Note that Provence is north of Milwaukee, Wi. Are they biking in Milwaukee in mid/late March. We were in Tuscany (same latittude as Provence) a few years ago in late March - and it showed.

If this was my trip, I would only visit Paris & Provence. Transportation between the two is excellent.

Stu Dudley

Last edited by StuDudley; Feb 18th, 2020 at 02:41 PM.