Itinerary Northern Italy

Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Northern Italy

Sorry to ask you to check one more itinerary, but you guys are amazing. Could I bother you to take a look at this and see what you think? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Day 1--Arrive Milan 10 a.m.; train to Verona (90 mins); jet-lagged afternoon/evening/night in Verona

Day 2--Day/night Verona

Day 3--Morning pick up car; drive around small towns (Asolo, Marostica, Treviso, whatever we feel like). Night Bassano del Grappa (1.5 hrs from Verona)

Day 4—More driving around small towns. Night: Bassano del Grappa

Day 5--Morning: Drive to Venice (2 hrs from Bassano), drop off car; afternoon/evening/night Venice

Day 6--Day/night Venice

Day 7--Day/night Venice

Day 8--Train to La Spezia (6 hours), then Manarola (10 mins). Night: Manarola

Day 9--Day: Hike Cinque Terre goat paths. Night: Manarola

Day 10--Morning: Loll on balcony staring at sea; when we get around to it, train to Portofino. Night: Portofino

Day 11--Morning train to Milan; afternoon/evening/night Milan

Day 12--Fly out of Milan

Thank you!
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Oh yes, this is for October.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 12:33 PM
ira

Hi P,

When in Oct?

Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Arriving the fifth.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 01:35 PM

Well, if possible, I'd fly into Venice and out of Milan. It takes me several days to recover from jet lag and Venice is the perfect place to do that. No driving, no navigating, and little heavy-duty obligatory sight-seeing.

Then you could work your way west across the country. As a general rule, I like longer stays in one spot, making excursions. Settling into one spot, making it a little home, becoming something of a familiar at the gelato stand, and so on, is to me both more relaxing and more enlightening. So I might stay in one place for both Bassano and Verone.

Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Good idea, M, but I bought the tix with miles, and Milan was the only option, so I was trying to build an efficient loop. A couple days of low-energy strolling around Verona, which seems fairly manageable, then I thought I'd be sufficiently restored to sit in medieval villages sipping Prosecco.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 03:10 PM

Hi Paula, your itinerary looks very good to me. I imagine that you know that you can get the bus from Milpensa airport to the Central Train station in Milan (assuming that you are arriving at the Milpensa airport).

Taking the train to Verona will be so easy and having two nights there will IMO give you plenty of time to get over whatever jetlag you have.

I have not been in Bassano del Grappa, I will be interested in your report about this town. Asolo, Treviso etc. are wonderful. You might think about visiting Castelfranco also. And if you want to see a very antique castle with a creepy story, from Treviso go north to Susegana. The century old castle there has a tower that is completely enclosed. The duke that owned the castle (many centuries ago) found out his young wife cheated on him with some handsome young fellow. He put them in the tower and had his workmen enclose all the open spaces in the tower, so they obviously died in misery. Below the castle, when you face it, on your right side, is a path that looks like nothing more than a horse path. It was the "road" from Venice to Austria centuries ago. I went down the cliff and stood on this path, under the small bridge and could only imagine how this small path was considered quite a road a long time ago.

Just a bit north of Susegana is Congeliano. If you drive there do go up the road to the Castle of Congeliano. There is a cafe and also the most wonderful view of the Veneto plains looking north and to the Dolomites. The next city is Vittorio Veneto. Did you ever see the movie "In Love and War" with Sandra Bullock? This movie was filmed there some years ago. A more or less true story involving Heminway who was there during WWI. The last battle of WWI was suppose to have been fought and won in Vittorio Veneto. You might want to rent this DVD before your trip.

And oh yes, sipping Prosecco!!! Have a glass or two for me. I love Prosecco. The area of Conegliano is know for its Prosecco.

Venice, Cinque Terre, Portofino and Milan are all wonderful.

I really like your itinerary Paula. Wish I were going with you! Enjoy every moment, I know you will. And I sure hope you will file a trip report when you return home and get settled in. Best wishes to you.

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Hoo hoo! I'm excited now. Thanks, Love.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:33 AM

I did an intinerary close to this in 2002, but we did Lake Garda, with a Day trip to Verona.

My only caution is that our train ride from Manarola to Milan was late and it got a bit harry - but I believe our flight was at 12:10... so you seem to have a bit more time. I did say, however, that I would make a point to stay in the city I was flying out of next time - so take that advice for what it is worth...

Where are you staying in Manarola? We stayed at Capellini's rooms - wonderful views, ok room, no brkfst, but we were ok with that. Our best meal was at the place in town on the right, before the gelato shop. I really don't know its name, but there are only three restaurants as I remember! We ate at the place overlooking the water and enjoyed it, but I don't remember all that much about the food. However, the place in mid-town had the best PESTO lasagna - to die for! I'll try to look in my scrap book tonight to see if I have the receipt for the name...

Otherwise itinerary looks great!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

I don't have any hotels booked yet, so thanks for the suggestion, and if you have any others, please send them along. I am staying in Milan the night before I fly out--you're braver than I, if you were cutting it that close! Pesto lasagna, mmmm.....
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:57 AM

Bassano del Grappa is a wonderful town in which to base yourselves. If you have a clear day, might I suggest a drive up to the top of Mount Grappa.
Besides wonderful views, Mt. Grappa is the site of a WW1 memorial.
Because of that WW1 experience, many of the towns in that region, like Bassano, added del Grappa to their name:
Paderno del Grappa
Crespano del Grappa

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:10 AM

Paula, we stayed at Villa Steno in Monterosso (CT). Don't know what you are looking for but it was very nice. We had a room with a view of the sea, great terrace, private bath and really nice breakfast.

Definately eat at Gambero Rosso in Vernazza! The best meal of our trip!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Hey, Motor City Girl! I may be "fromNY" these days, but my heart's still in Motown. Hoist one for me at the Majestic, and I'll see you one day at the Russell Street Deli.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 11:49 AM

Sounds like a plan! Unfortunately, I left my heart in Charleston, SC when my parents dragged me here many years ago. What I wouldn't give for a good glass of sweet tea, some boiled peanuts and shrimp right off the dock!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Doble_Vergasser

We drove to Marostica and Bassano. We also went to Palladio's Villa Emo at Fanzola in the same day. In the CT area, the only place that I know is Portofino.

I think your itinerary looks pretty good. Two full days for Venice is about right. Flights out of Milan can be difficult if you are coming from somewhere else (so you planned well for that).

If it was me, I would have just one location/hotel for Lombardia/ Veneto and just one for Liguria (I think the trains would be frequent enough).

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 09:18 AM

This itin looks wonderful. If you're into art, you might make a detour to Padua to see the Giotto frescoes at Scrovegni chapel.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody, I think we're set. Per Doble's suggestion, we're staying in Manarola three nights and day-tripping to Portofino (besides the hassle of moving, the hotels are scary expensive). And instead of staying in Bassano proper, we're staying in a cool agriturismo place nearby. I'll be sure to report back. Ciao!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 05:37 PM

Hey Paula,

I think your trip sounds wonderful! My only suggestion would be to skip the full day in Milan and add a day to lovely Venice! Just because everywhere you are going is SO much better than Milan. I would not want to finish such a wonderful trip in Milan.....

Buon viaggio!