Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Itinerary – Naples/Sorrento/Capri - Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone!

We are flying into Naples in the middle of June, after being in Palermo and can't decide on how to plan this part of our trip. We land the middle of the day on Wednesday and have rented a car from the Naples airport. We have the car until the middle of the day on Saturday where we have to return it to the Rome airport.

I am looking into driving to Pompeii our first night and spending a little of the day on Thursday exploring and then driving to Sorrento.

From here I am not sure. We want to experience Carpi and are not sure if a day trip is long enough.

We would then drive from Sorrento to Rome on Saturday. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 09:16 AM

I wouldn't take a car on this itinerary. You can't take it to Capri; it'll cost to park in Sorrento.

From Naples you can bus or train (the Circumvesuviana commuter train) or get a private driver. If you want to see Pompeii en route, there's luggage storage.

And to go to Rome from Sorrento, take the Circumvesuviana to Naples Centrale and switch to the train to Rome.

Do you have any interest in the Amalfi coast? You're so close. I would not drive the famous Amalfi highway; no chance to look at the fabulous views. Try taking boats instead.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with Mimar - boats and trains are the way to do this. You don't have very long - while I would recommend spending at least one night on Capri, with just a couple of days you would do better to base in Sorrento and do Pompeii one day and Capri or the Amalfi coast the next. For my TR for this area see http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...om-s-italy.cfm
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 09:50 AM

I agree. From Naples, take the commuter train to Sorrento and use it as your base for day trips in both directions---Pompeii and Capri---and Positano.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 10:21 AM

I think it will be much easier with a car which we have done twice. We have stayed in Pompeii and enjoyed the ease of access to the ruins. Just make sure your hotel in Sorrento has free parking (ours did both times).

It's a straightforward drive both from Naples airport and to Rome - no problem, and much easier with luggage than multple public transport changes.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 02:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't get a car for this trip since you only have a few days and the coast roads will be crowded in June.

From the Naples airport you want to take the Curreri shuttle bus to Sorrento (10€), not the train. No point in bussing into Naples and transferring to a train which would take longer than the shuttle bus.
http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

If you want to start in Capri, take the Alibus ( http://www.portal.gesac.it/portal/pa...OPORTO/Autobus ) from the airport to the port and catch a ferry to Capri. Spend Wed night on Capri, tour around Capri Thursday and catch the last ferry on Thursday to Sorrento. Spend Thurs/Fri nights in Sorrento. Visit Pompeii on Friday. Saturday, train or bus to Rome.

Are you departing Rome Saturday or just need to turn you car in?
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 02:27 PM

We drove on the coast road the last two Junes with no problem with traffic - in fact last June (economy presumably) the road was incredibly quiet. Plus this person is talking about getting from Naples airport and to Rome - the latter a huge hassle without a car.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 03:08 PM

I would recommend at least staying one night in Capri. Day trippers usually don't tend to appreciate it as much. We stayed 5 nights and fell in love with the island. Sorrento seems like a good base for your visit the rest of the days. We didn't rent a car and found it quite easy to get around by train or bus or water taxi.
Old Apr 11th, 2010, 04:14 PM

My husband and I had a similar itinerary, however, we based ourselves Amalfi -- which I found to be much more charming than Sorrento. You can take a hovercraft from Amalfi to Capri. Downtown Amalfi by the water there are buses that go to Pompei, Positano, Ravello, etc.