Itinerary Madness

Search

Itinerary Madness

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary Madness

Hi, My wife and I are taking a belated honeymoon to Ireland in July. Unfortunately, I didn't check out this forum before booking our flight and rental car. We are flying in and out of Dublin (We should have incorporated Shannon into our flight plans). I have been reading the other posts and have found the feedback people get to be very helpful. I was hoping for some on my own!

My wife and I are in our early thirties. We value scenery, pubs and getting out (though in a relaxed, laidback sort of way). We would like to try and avoid the super touristy scene, but at the same time we recognize we might have to deal with this in order to see some of the more special sights. We also don't feel the need to see everything if it means that we have to always be "on the go." I guess what I am trying to say is that we are willing to miss some things (maybe see them on the next trip!) in order to be on a more relaxed pace.

Anyways, my wife says I am over-thinking things so I will shut up now and share our VERY ROUGH itinerary. Let me know what you think. THANKS!

Day 1 - Fly into Dublin
Day 2 - Dublin - Check things out
Day 3 - Pick up rental car in downtown Dublin and drive to Kilkenny for the night. Side trip to rock of Cashel
Day 4 - Kinsale
Day 5 - Kinsale - Maybe day trip it to Mizen Head
Day 6 - Kenmare
Day 7 - Kenmare - ROK
Day 8 - Dingle
Day 9 - Dingle - Rent bikes and do the loop. My wife is worried about getting run over by a tour bus.
Day 10 - Doolin or Ennis - Cliffs of Moher
Day 11 - Galway
Day 12 - Galway - Bike the Aran Islands - Inishmore
Day 13 - Clifden
Day 14 - Clifden - Spend the day in Connemara
Day 15- Drive from Clifedn to Trim
Day 16 - Fly out from Dublin back to Seattle

Like I said it is very rough and lacking details. Any and all feedback would be great!

Thanks

P.S. - I would also like to see a cool castle or two.
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:03 PM

Welcome to the Fodor's Forum! I can't help you with your itinerary, but I can say you might get more responses if you repost under the title "Ireland-Itinerary Madness".

And, excuse the pun, but there's a "Coole" Castle in Enniskillen, in Northern Ireland
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:07 PM

beankeen,

If you go over to Killarney from Kenmare you can tour Ross Castle. You could go to Bunratty on your way to the clifs and Galway and see Bunratty Castle.

Joan
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:24 AM

This is not a bad itinerary. I would suggest you drive the Ring of Beara enrout from Kinsale to Kenmare or at least do the Healy pass portion. I would also skip Doolin (not a Fan) and spend the night in Ennis or Ballyvaughn. If after Galway your tired of city life there is a nice little coastal village called Roundstone just south of Clifden, I believe they have their Art Festival in July and It is convient to the Connermara. Have fun
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:11 AM

I would not do a side trip to the Rock of Cashel on the day you go to Kilkenny. You only have one night in Kilkenny and there is plenty to see there to keep you busy. Kilkenny is a great town and of course, they have a castle. You could possibly see Cashel and Cahir Castle on the way to Kinsale. Cahir Castle is one of the most well preserved in Ireland.

Kinsale all the way to Mizen and back would be a pretty full day, but do-able. The other possibility would be to catch it on the way to Kenmare. I think it would be a very full day to do the full Ring of Beara from Kinsale to Kenmare, but you could certainly do the Healy Pass portion as JOHNOD suggested.

If you go to Mizen Head, consider driving into Crookhaven to catch a tiny but beautiful fishing village. As you loop around the bay from Goleen, you will pass a small beach. There is a small road to the right that climbs a very steep hill. This is Brow Head. At the top is an watch tower and a spectacular view.

Ross Castle is a good suggestion and Bunratty is just south of Ennis. Dunguaire is in a particularly picturesque setting (esp when the tide is in) just ourside of Kinvara, south of Galway.

Augnanure Castle is an interesting castle in Oughterard just north of Galway. Just east of Galway is Athenry castle which has been well restored also.

By the way, my wife and I and friends got locked in the castle grounds at Coole. The result was hysterical and had us "driving" the fairways of the adjacent golf course. You won't be near there though.

The only advantage of Doolin over Ennis is its proximity to the Cliffs. Midday at the Cliffs is usually a madhouse and being there in the evening is much more pleasant. Otherwise, Ennis is a more interesting town. Doolin is one long strip with three well known music pubs that in July, will be packed to the rafters.

Biking is pretty popular in Ireland. You should be as safe as you are on any road in the States.

You could easily make a pretty full day of driving from Clifden to Trim so if you want to see the castle, make sure you check the opening times.

Be sure you give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport the next morning if you have an early flight. Traffic can be pretty serious on the M50 and M1 into the airport.

Bill
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the posting advice djman. I will do that right now.

I appreciate all of the advice from everyone. There is only so much I can get from a guidebook. It is nice to get some advice from people in the know.

-Healy Pass is in. I looked into and it sounds great. Thanks

-Doolin vs Ennis. I have gotten so many different opinions. Are there any other options? Maybe an out of the way village or something?

-Mizen Head is out. What about going to Baltimore instead? I have heard some good things.

-If we decided to stay the night on Inishmore would our car be safe overnight in Galway. We would have to store some of our stuff in it too, unless there is another option.

-One last question. Both my wife and I are teachers. We are interested in learning about the school system in Ireland. Will the schools there be out for summer break? Do they have a summer break? We would love to go visit one. Just a thought.

Thanks again for everything.

Shane