Itinerary- Lausanne, Lienz, Salzburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are planning a trip in Sept./Oct. 2005. I know it is a ways off, but we are coordinating with others and I like to get started early in planning.
Our goals are to visit with a friend in Lausanne for a couple of days, see some second cousins in Griefenburg, Austria near Lienz, and to meet up with some friends who will be staying in Salzburg.
I thought we would land in Geneva stay in Lausanne, train to Lucerne or Interlaken and then train to Lindau, where we'd rent a car. Travel in Bavaria, get to Lienz for a couple of days to see if we can meet our relatives and then drive to Salzburg and maybe Munich for a couple of days. Spend 14 to 16 days on the trip.
On vacations we usually spend 3 to 5 days in two or three cities so this is a little unusual for us. Any comments, suggestions, or help is appreciated about routes, hotels, or towns to stay. Thanks.
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 05:12 PM

I think it is a good plan. All the places you name are good to visit.

Lienz is south of the Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse and the Hoheturen National Park. If you like mountain scenery, you will see it there.

From where do you plan to fly home?
Geneva does not have a lot of flights to the USA directly. Zürich has more, but is usually hard to get a good price into that airport.

The Hochalapenstrasse is a toll road.
But it is the shortest route between Lienz and Salzburg. I have driven the high road several times, and if you don't let it scare you, it is not that tough to drive. Just be sure you have good tires!!!!!!!!!!!!! And brakes.
It is spectacular.

Also Lienz is on the north side of the Dolomites. So you could tour them, too. I think by the time you visit Switzerland and that part of Austria and Italy, you will have seen the sights!!
The only question I have is why Interlaken? If you want to see the Alps, you will need to travel "taleinwarts" (valley inwards) from there by either car or train to Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen. From those two places you can go higher for the real views. My favorite places for that purpose are the ridge that towers over Wengen called the Männlichen, or First (means ridge)which is high above Grindelwald. There are spectacular cable lift rides that take you to both high places. I think the gondola to First from Grindelwald is a real thrill. You get an eyefull of the north wall of the Eiger the whole way up. You can also see the Eiger and the Jungfrau from the Männlichen. I like them both, and recommend them both for spectacular viewing on a clear day.

One final note. Heiligenblut is a charming if small village on the south side of the Austrian mountains. It has some good hotels there, but if you are staying near Lienz, you should have no trouble driving back and forth in one day.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Bob. I am planning on flying back from Munich or Salzburg. If we stay in Munich, how far ahead do I need hotel reservations in October because of Octoberfest? It would be the first week in October.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:55 AM

PLEASE believe me in terms of the accommodations in Munich during Oktoberfest...think about booking a FULL YEAR out for a lot of centrally-located hotels. You might deal directly with them via e-mail, too.

You can always cancel but you cannot obtain what isn't to be had.

Have a great trip
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:31 PM

Actually October Fest starts in September. This year, 2004, the official start is on September 18 to be exact. It ends October 3. Hotel prices are higher during that time.

I like to stay at the Hotel Astoria in Schwabing. I suddenly remembered that I would be there to leave on the first day of Oktoberfest. I received an email confirmation on May 8, 2004 after making a phone call.

You might consider the Astoria because it is only 4 U-bahn stops from the center of town. It is 2 U-bahn stops from the Nordfriedhof stop for the Lufthansa bus to the airport. I have found that to be a convenient way to get to the airport. You can take a taxi to the Nordfriendhof stop, or take the subway south 2 stops. Elevators and escalators are in service.

There are not many international overseas flights out of Salzburg. I doubt if any direct US flights from there exist. Also I think your airfare would be cheaper out of Munich.

The main problem with the Munich airport is that is well out from the city center.
But the same is true of CDG, Heathrow, Gatwick, etc.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:36 PM

Quadruple oooppps. CORRECTION!
Correction please to my second post on this subject.

The Nordfriendhof stop is NORTH of the hotel Astoria. Downtown Munich is south. The Astoria itself is located on a side street that is near the Gieselastrasse U-Bahn stop.
The main drag through Schwabing is lively to say the least at night.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. It sounds like Octoberfest won't be a problem, but I had heard that there are conventions in Munich in October. I will probably be using frequent flyer miles; into Geneva out of Munich. I will check on the Astoria, it sounds fun.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 07:23 PM

The breakfast at the Astoria is fabulous. More than you can eat.
Huge variety of cheeses, breads, cereals, juices, meats, sweets, teas of various types, coffee of course, and fruits.

Rooms 201 and 301 are a little more expensive, but they are large rooms.
Some of the cheapest rooms are a little small.

But 201 and 301 are the largest ordinary hotel rooms I have found in Europe. The hotel itself is small, but the front desk staff during the day and evening is great. I think all of the day time staff members speak enough English to be helpful. The one I talked to this time was new to me, but she sounded very fluent.

The hotel itself is not a luxury establishment, but the rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable.

I like the place or else I would not keep going back.

Here is one reason I like the management staff. Two summers ago, we took a very early morning flight from Finland that landed in Munich before 10 am. We got to the hotel about 11 am. I was hoping we could leave our luggage there and go visit something. Instead, we were allowed to occupy our room almost immediately because the manager told the cleanup crew to do our room first. That rarely happens.

Because of personal attention and the breakfast, the hotel has many repeat customers, mostly German businessmen, who are known by name. We last stayed there two years ago, and as soon as I walked in, the lady at the desk recognized me by name! She had not seen me in a year.