Itinerary Help Driving Avignon to Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - 4 of us (2 couples) flying into Paris and out of Barcelona 9 days later. We are considering taking the TGV to Avignon, then driving close to the Spanish border (probably drop the car at Perpignan to avoid multi-country car charge) and taking a train to Barcelona. We have 3 days/2 nights to spend doing this. Recognizing this route couple probably use more like 20 nights...any suggestions for must-see cute towns between Avignon and Perpignan, and 2 places to spend the night along the way in the 100 euro/night range? This trip is in the first week of March 2010, fyi. Thanks!
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

That 100 euro/night rate is per couple, btw. Thanks.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Hmm...perhaps not a popular topic. I did find some information in other threads and am thinking about taking the TGV to Montpellier now instead of Avignon...it doesn't sounds like early March is the best time for Provence.

Would pick up the car in Montpellier and drive to Minerve, then Carcassonne for the night. Is there anywhere else along this route you'd recommend stopping? I think we'd get our car around noon, and I'd want to get to Carcassonne by 5 or so since everyone says it's better at night.

The next day, drive to Collioure stopping at the Peyrepertuse castle en route. This will take place the 2-4 March...is it too cold to go to the castle?

Spend the night in Collioure, then drop the car in Perpignan the next afternoon and catch a train to Barcelona. Would love to know any other cute Med towns we could stop in along the way.

Thanks!
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 08:45 AM

I think your best bet would be to rent a car in Avignon and explore the area and then take an overnight train to Barcelona from Avignon.
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 09:44 AM

I agree with dodo. I certainly would try to minimize your long drives. The direct route is not scenic.

There are 2 trains that go directly from Montpellier to Barcelona Franca station - or you could take a short train from Avignon to Montpellier to catch the Montpellier/Barcelona train.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 01:41 AM

Why not explore locally - Avignon / Uzes / Pont du Gard / Arles / Nimes / Montpellier / St Remy / Aix etc - then take the train.

By road, you won't have time to see too much, and the train has better views.

Peter