Search

itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 07:11 AM
Kerry k

itinerary help

my friend and I are taking a 10 day trip to continental Europe - we're flying into Frankfurt and leaving from Frankfurt. Does anyone have any good, fun packed itineraries that would accomodate this agenda. Also, we definitely want to stop in Venice at least for a night. Any good, inexpensive, clean hotel recommendations?

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 01:19 PM
Lee

Kerry: With 10 days, I wouldn't suggest going too far or doing too much. <BR> <BR>In ten days last year, we arrived and departed from Frankfurt. We spent two days along the middle Rhine, two in Munich, two in Oberammergau, one in Dinkelsbuhl, one in Rothenburg and two in Frankfurt. Our trip was rather hectic and we drove about 2,000 km. <BR> <BR>If you head to Venice, stopping only in one or two places for any length of time, your trip will be pretty full. Too many times people try to see too much and the consequence is missing a great deal. We tend to "target" certain areas, leaving future destinations for subsequent trips. I'm not trying to limit your trip, but only to maximize it. <BR> <BR>If you post your detailed plans, other Fodorite's will certainly help you, I'm sure. Good luck.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 01:37 PM
wes fowler

Kerry, <BR>It would help to know how you plan to travel - train? auto? Lee's is sound advice, don't try too much. You could spend your entire 10 days in the Rhine and Mosel Valleys not far from Frankfurt or on the Romantic Road and parts of Upper Bavaria. For your trip to be meaningful and memorable, I wouldn't attempt anything more than one of those two options.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 01:42 PM
amg

Kerry, <BR> <BR>I would recommend you go directly to Venice - via train or air if you can afford it (some times it is cheaper), then work your way back. From Venice you can go to Salzburg. I would recommend renting a car from there and driving to the castles in Baveria then to Munich, up the romantic road - Rothenburg then back to Frankfurt with time just north on the Rhine. <BR>Usually your first day is killed by jet lag, so if I need to travel further I do it that day. I did a similiar trip with 2 friends 3 years ago. You will be on the go alot, but we found that with a car we were able to stretch our days by traveling early or late and staying were we wanted longer. Make sure that you plan were you will be on Sunday and Monday well, if you are on the move, check the guide books to make sure the attractions you want to see are open when you are there. <BR> <BR>Have Fun! <BR>Aileen <BR>

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 02:20 PM
kam

Kerry, I like Aileen's advice just above. Venice is not a typical destination from Frankfurt, but perhaps you can even catch a relatively low cost airfare to Venice, connecting in Frankfurt. From there the route up to Saltzburg, Munich, Rothenburg and then just outside Frankfurt at a small town called Assmanhaussen on the Rhine River. That should about do it for ten days.