COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Itinerary help

Old Dec 19th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Itinerary help

I wasn't planning another trip to Rome but my friend has asked me to go, and it would be rude to refuse �� so yay, back again, in April. It's a hard life.

We are staying beside Villa Borghese, a few minutes from the gallery. I wonder if anyone may be kind enough to help me with a schedule? 

We arrive in Ciampiano at 11 on Thursday morning, so by the time we've been processed by arrivals, caught a Terravision to Termini and a taxi to the apartment, it will be early afternoon. We go back on Sunday at 9pm, and I like to get yo the airport early. So in effect we have 2 full days bookended by two half days.im in charge of scheduling.

The things I would like to do and see are:

- Borghese park and gallery
- Trevi
- Spanish steps 
- Via Margutta
- Pantheon 
- Piazza Navona
- Jewish Ghetto
- Trastevere
- Gianicolo hill
- the fountain from the start of the great beauty
- Ara Pacis
- Domus Aurea
- st John in lateran
- The Vatican 
- a glancing visit to the outside of the colleseum 

My questions are#160;
1) how wouldn't arrange your time?
2) subjective but...what would you include that I haven't? 

Thanks so much x
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 10:36 AM

2) subjective but...what would you include that I haven't?>

going into Colosseum and adjacent Roman Forum for a quick look around.

What do you mean by 'Vatican' - the museums and Sistine Chapel and St Paul's - if so takes much of a day though you can skip the museum and go right to Sistine I guess.
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi there, yes the whole lot. I love the bascilica and Sistine, cam take it leave the museums but it's my friends first time and she is interested in religion and theology so she will probably appreciate it. I'm glad you agree it is a full day, most of the guidebooks say allow 2-4 hours! I must walk slowly haha
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 10:53 AM

Can you book a visit time for Vatican Museum?
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 02:06 PM

St. Peter's at the Vatican, not St. Paul. I think the fountain is the Acqua Paola. It's on the Gianicolo.
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Palenq - yes I think so.

Bvlenci - oops yes I meant st Peter's. Thanks for the fountain name.

Any scheduling ideas?
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 04:16 PM

Be sure you meet the dress code for entry to St Peter's -not sure what current but may have to cover certain parts of arms - no shorts for anyone that I knew or whatever.
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 06:12 PM

I would include the Scavi tour under St. Peter's.

You'll need to make reservations for the Borghese and Domus Aurea and would probably want reservations for the Vatican Museums. (Domus Aurea has very limited days.) Since you only have two full days, your schedule each day will be dictated somewhat by those reservation times. I wouldn't make any reservations for your arrival day in the event your flight is delayed. Do the open-air things like piazzas, Spanish Steps, Trevi, etc., that afternoon and evening. Leave the morning of your departure day for anything you're able to squeeze in. FWIW, I don't think you can accomplish your list in the time you have, so I suggest prioritizing. For me, that would mean dropping Via Margutta (charming but not much there, there) and Gianicolo/Trastevere (would probably be a time-eater).