Itinerary for Fall trip Amsterdam-Munich

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2013, 11:00 AM
chb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary for Fall trip Amsterdam-Munich

Hi All,
I'm looking for advice on filling a fall 2013 trip.
We fly into Amsterdam September 13 and out of Munich October 6. i need a few days in the Netherlands this is the country of orgin for my ancestors. Our apartment is booked in Munich beginning October 1.
We have a moderate budget that allows for 150 Euro/night lodging.
any trip suggestions between The Netherlands and Munich are appreciated.
thanks
chb
Old Jan 26th, 2013, 11:29 PM

What mode of travel are you using between Amsterdam and Munich? If by car, beware of the drop fees!
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 05:56 AM
chb
Original Poster

Travelforbeer (love the name) thanks for that advice. Do you have any idea on the fees? like an approximation?
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 06:18 AM

Consider stopping by the Rhine Gorge - the best part of The Rhine, between Rudesheim and Koblenz and take K-D boats along the river, hop off to trek up to castles or to visit a winery.
www.k-d.com for boat schedules.
Check these sites for lots of info on the Rhine boats - www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

And yes check car drop-off fees - you may want to take the train from Holland to say Cologne and pick up your car and also visit the world-famous Gothic Cologne cathedral right next to the Cologne trains station. See www.bahn.de - the German Railways web site for schedules and fares, including deep discounted ones if you book far in advance.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 09:20 AM

trip suggestions between The Netherlands and Munich are appreciated>

Great stops pretty much on the main route:

Cologne (for the cathedral)
The Mosel Valley - Cochem makes a very sweet place to stay and everyone raves about it - on one of the prettiest river valleys in Europe - the Mosel Valley and close to the Rhine Gorge so you can base there - if no car then trains and boats will get you everywhere
Heidelerg - one of the few cities in Germany not suffering major war damage in WW2

From Heidelberg drive down the Castle Road - a river valley studded with old towns and castles - to Rothenburg - one of the nicest walled towns in Europe

Then take the Romantic Road via Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen - two gems of old towns - to Munich.
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:22 AM

chb-

I just checked a major car rental company on-line and it looks like the drop fee for renting a mid-size car with stick shift in Amsterdam and dropping in Munich is $400-$500 for a 2 week rental in May2013. You can check other car rentals on -line to compare rates, drop fees, etc.

PalenQ provided very good advice for the rest of your trip.

I did a trip similar to yours several years ago with the exception of throwing in a few days in Paris. I took the train from Amsterdam to Paris then to Frankfurt. I picked up the car in Frankfurt, toured the Mosel and Rothenberg, then on to Munich where I returned the car. The in-country drop fee was about $20.

If you do rent a car, be sure to return it as soon as it is feasible when you hit Munich. The public transportation there is very good. Depending on your hotel, you may have to pay a hefty parking fee ($25-$30 per day)if you keep the car. And I hope you already have hotel reservations for that time in Munich...
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:24 AM

Forget my last comment, I see you alreay have an apartment rented in Munich. The car return comment is still valid ...
Old Jan 28th, 2013, 11:42 AM

Yes once in Munich you can return the car and take local transit - excellent in all regards - and if going to Fussen you can go by train on the Bavarian Ticket for 29 euros total for up to I believe 5 people - from Fussen train station take amini-bus or tax or bus to the castle complex. Be sure to have booked a time slot or face a long long wait in line.