Itinerary for a cruise

Search

Itinerary for a cruise

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary for a cruise

I’m taking a 7 day cruise to Spain, Italy and France and am wondering if I should take the excursions provided by the cruise ship or try to see the sights on my own. The stops are Barcelona,Palermo, Palma de Mallorca, Savona, Marseilles and Civetacchia/Rome. I will be traveling with my parents that are 74 and in good shape. How far are the cruise ports from the sites of interest? We don’t mind doing some walking. We will at each port 1 day.

Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 07:59 PM

hi,
It all depends on what you want to see. Research in each city what you like to do. You can always contact some local tour agents. From my experience, the tours provided by the cruise line are mostly large in group size. So check if you can find a local tour agent who offers tours with smaller groups or even private. This is not always more expensive than the tours offered by the cruise line.
The cruise ships are mostly docked outside of the centre area and the cruise will provide a shuttle service. In Civetacchia, if you are planning to go to Rome I suggest going by using a tour, so you can see most of it without worrying about how to get everywhere.
My opinion is research is the key to a great vacation. So keep asking questions in all these forums and contact tour agents.
Good luck and have fun!
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suggest reading this: https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/...n-cruise-ports

Also, you might want to spend some time on cruisecritic.com - maybe join the roll call for your cruise.
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 08:30 PM

Post your question in the cruise forum here on Fodors and on the Facebook page for your cruise.
Old Sep 22nd, 2019, 09:18 PM

The best way is private tours, smaller groups and much cheaper than the cruise line’s big bus tours. Suggest you sign up on your sailing’s Roll Call on Cruise Critic where you will find many others on your cruise. You’ll get tips on what to do in the various ports and will find people to share tours.

Most of your ports are in Spain, check out Spain Day Tours for a multi city package, they are well reviewed.
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 01:50 AM

Civitavecchia is a good distance from Rome, which is what most people want to see. You can do it on your own by train and public transportation if you don't want to take a guided tour from the port.

In one cruise excursion day, it's very diificult to see much of Rome. Most of the city tours are mostly drive-by. If you tell us what you most want to see, I'll try to lay out an efficient way of seeing it all in one day. What time of year will it be, and what day of the week? What is the projected arrival time, and when do you have to be back to the port?
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 04:06 AM

One more suggestion. Not sure where your cruise starts and ends, but you may like to bookend the sailing with 3-4 days or more on land at each of these ports. That was you’ll get a more in-depth visit and experience the city in the evening/night. Then fly back home.

We have done Mediterranean and North European cruises but always make it a point to combine it with a land tour, usually up to a week at each end. Makes for a much more interesting and fulfilling experience...
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 11:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I can only speak for Marseille, but if your parents are not spry, you would probably want to take a taxi from the cruise terminal to the Vieux Port for a start. After visiting that area, you can easily take the metro, bus or tramway to other places. The unlimited 24 hour pass only costs 3.60€.
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by geetika
One more suggestion. Not sure where your cruise starts and ends, but you may like to bookend the sailing with 3-4 days or more on land at each of these ports. That was you’ll get a more in-depth visit and experience the city in the evening/night. Then fly back home.

We have done Mediterranean and North European cruises but always make it a point to combine it with a land tour, usually up to a week at each end. Makes for a much more interesting and fulfilling experience...
This is fantastic advice!
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 01:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Civitavecchia is Rome's cruise port and is 45 minutes to an hour by road from Rome, depending on traffic. A taxi will cost 100€ or so, depending on how well you you can negotiate the fare. The cabs at the cruise port will start at a much higher level, so don't get conned. Otherwise take the train into Rome. Which method you prefer will depend on your party size and the cost of the excursions. Unless you can get a good tour, you won't see much of the city but as mentioned above a lot of it is a drive by. It's unlikely that you'll have time for the Vatican because of the time spent queueing.

Palma's cruise port is right by the city, so very easy to look round, same with Barcelona. A good guide book for these places is invaluable.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 01:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I gather this cruise starts in Barcelona and ends in Civitavecchia, is that correct or does it begin and end elsewhere? The answer makes a huge difference in terms of time required to "see" things. I am sorry but "bookending" for three or four days at each port means a trip of more than three weeks. Do you really have that much time?
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 04:52 AM

Her cruise is not that long, only 7 days. She needs to be in Barcelona at least 1 day before anyway. Come into Barcelona 2 days early and stay 3 days in Rome. That is 12 days. Add a day for flights each way and the total trip is two weeks max.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 04:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Friends who cruise always book their private tours with toursbylocals.com and have used this website all over the world.
Palermo's port is walkable into town.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 07:01 AM

As previously suggested, you should register in Cruise Critic and join the Roll Call for your cruise. Usually that provides for many opportunities to join fellow cruisers in organizing smaller group excursions.
If you havent bought your plane tickets yet, I strongly recommend you arrive your embarkation port at least the day before.
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 10:07 AM

While your ship is docking at Civitavecchia following the herd heading to Rome is not your only option.

Rome deserves much more than a hectic daytrip and it can be very stressful for old people. If you want to see Rome return to Italy for a proper trip, spending at least 3 days in Rome.

Instead of Rome you could see one of the most amazing sights of Italy very close to Civitavecchia:

Italy: the painted Etruscan tombs of Tarquinia- perhaps Italy?s most impressive sight | Minor Sights
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 11:21 PM

The Etruscan necropolis at Cerveteri is even more impressive, in my opinion. It doesn't have as many painted tombs, but you walk about in an Etruscan cemetery that mostly retains its original aspect. Maybe you could get a tour to see both, and also the Etruscan Museum in Tarquinia, which is also excellent.