Itinerary for 8 days in Puglia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (in our early 60s) are planning a trip to southern Italy in mid-October. We have booked 8 days on the Amalfi Coast and are now planning 8 days in Puglia. We have been very interested to read trip reports for this area on the forum.

We plan to rent a car in Bari and spend the first 2 days in Trani. Then 2 days in Matera, 2 days in the Ostuni area, and lastly 2 days in Lecce.

My question is: are we trying to do too much? Would we be better to skip one of these places and spend more time in the others? My husband enjoys driving in Italy...our last trip was driving from Rome to Tuscany for 10 days. But we also enjoy hiking and exploring, rather than spending a lot of time sitting in a car.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 07:39 AM

I think changing hotels every two days in an eight day stay is too much. A lot of time spent packing, unpacking, checking in, checking out etc. Why not rent a car as you leave the Amalfi Coast and drive to Puglia, stopping in Matera? You don't need two days there. You could also drop the hotel in Ostuni and just have two Puglia bases, one in Trani and one in Lecce and make daytrips from them.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply Grinisa. I agree that changing hotels every 2 days is too much. However, I'm anxious to spend 2 nights in Matera since some recent trip reports have recommended that. Unfortunately it doesn't make a good home base. Also, I don't want to spend a lot of time driving each day from a home base to spots of interest. I guess i need to somehow get a better idea of driving times from one place to another. Any idea where to get that information?
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 06:13 AM

Try Viamichelin.com for driving times. When we went to Puglia, we had two bases; one in Monopoli near Bari and the other just outside Mattinata on the Gargano. From our base in Monopoli we easily drove to Ostuni, Lecce, Gallipoli, Otranto and Alberobello. From the base in Mattinata, we saw Andria, Canae, San Giovanni Rotondo, Monte San Angelo and Vieste.
Old Jul 17th, 2009, 07:08 AM

Traveling there in Mid-October, you'll have NO problem getting a room. I suggest that you wing it. Go to Matera with the names of a few hotels in hand where you'd like to stay. When you get there, get a room (or not), walk around, and THEN decide if you want to spend one, two, or no nights. Freedom like that is great! We went to Sardinia in the off season. We checked into a room in Castelsardo that we loved and ended up extending our stay by two extra nights there. We later heard about Stintino and decided to check it out. We ended up staying two nights there. Conversely, we went to Lipari in Sicily on the same vacation with the intent to stay 3 nights but left after one night.

Why tie yourself down now? Bring a list of towns that you'd like to visit. For each town, have list of sights, restaurants and hotels. Then when you actually get there, go where the wind takes you. Buon Viaggio!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 08:16 PM

I know it takes a big effort to switch hotels, but given the opportunity to get a good overview of the area, I think the effort is worth it! All of the cities that you mentioned are great - I wouldn't miss staying the night in Matera and absolutely loved Trani and Lecce. Here is a map to some additional sites in Puglia that could provide good day trips: http://bit.ly/rQgoe
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 09:38 PM

We visited Puglia during May about a year and a half ago. We had 11 days to spend so a bit more than you do. But we based in three places - Trani, Conversano and Lecce (i.e, beginning, middle and end of the area). I suggest you read my trip report on this site (called My Party in Puglia) and you may get some ideas. Have a great time. It is a wonderful area.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Flame123, thanks very much for your reply. I've been away and just saw it today. I've tried to find your trip report on Puglia without success. Can you give me the link to it? Right now I'm trying to find a recommendation for a hotel or B&B in Trani for 3 nights.

I really appreciate all the helpful hints I've read on this forum.
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 07:26 AM
kja

Hi, Oscar -

I stayed at the Hotel Royal in Trani two years ago and it suited my needs well. It is closer to the train station than it is to the harbor, but it was only about a 15 or 20 minute walk to the cathedral. The rooms were a bit dated, but clean; the breakfast was great and the staff were helpful.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 1st, 2009, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion kja. I was considering the Hotel Lucy since it's closer to the harbour, but it has had mixed reviews on Trip Advisor. We just want something reasonably priced, clean and with a good location for exploring the town. Has anyone stayed at Hotel Lucy recently?