Italy's lockdown is over.

Old Jun 5th, 2020, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy's lockdown is over.

On Wednesday, the 3rd of June, Italy's lockdown finally ended. It lasted almost three months, and was one of the world's most stringent. For two months we couldn't go more than 200 meters from our homes, except for strict necessity. It was especially difficult for people living alone, and for people forced to live with people they didn't get along with. One of our relatives practices family law, and she says the number of new divorce cases is much higher than in past years.

My husband and I lived peaceably. He got to be an expert in making caffè al latte, and I started making all of our bread. We took boring walks within our 200-meter limit and went out to do shopping once a week. I couldn't go to my favorite fruit and vegetable vendor, because it was in the next town, and it was forbidden to leave our town except for medical necessity.

It seems that it's all paid off. Italy, one of the hardest hit countries, is now mostly virus free. Our province hasn't had a new case in a week, in spite of extensive testing. Milan, and most of the Lombardia region, continues to have an active outbreak going on. I hope they can get it under control before all those Lombards with summer homes in Le Marche start migrating here.

There are still rules about sanitation and crowd limits in bars, restaurants, supermarkets, and shops. People are still wary in social situations. No one greets a friend with kisses on the cheeks.

All in all, the Italian people adhered to the rules and were quite disciplined.There weren't really important protests, except those organized by political organizations. I think we all deserve an applause. And I hope people continue to follow the guidelines so that we don't see the beast come roaring back.

Last edited by bvlenci; Jun 5th, 2020 at 02:21 PM.
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 03:52 PM

Congratulations!

And good luck in the coming weeks/months!
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 04:20 PM

So happy it has paid off. Wish we in the US had done a better job early on. Please be careful about letting people in now.

Old Jun 6th, 2020, 02:52 AM

"I hope they can get it under control before all those Lombards with summer homes in Le Marche start migrating here"

All European holiday areas usually overrun by tourists from Lombardy (like Croatian and Greek Islands) hope the same too!

ACTUAL COVID SITUATION IN THE SOUTHERN ALPS
New infections detected Friday (positive tests):

Aosta Valley: 0
Valais (Switzerland, Glacier Express line): 0
Verbano-Cusio-Ossola (Lake Maggiore, Centovalli-Express): 0
Ticino (Switzerland): 0
Varese (Malpensa airport): 28
Lake Como: 22
Valtellina (Italian side of Bernina): 10
Grischun (Switzerland, Bernina Express - Glacier Express line): 0
Milan-Brianza: 107
Bergamo-Orobbian Alps: 73
Brescia-Lake Garda: 90
Trentino (South-Western Dolomites): 0
South Tyrol (Northern Dolomites): 0
Cadore (Cortina d'Ampezzo, Lavaredo): 0
Tirol (Austria): 0
Carinthia (Austria): 0

Old Jun 6th, 2020, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
So happy it has paid off. Wish we in the US had done a better job early on. Please be careful about letting people in now.
I agree with you Sassafrass! Our government should have and could have done a better job early on.

Good job, Italy! And good luck during the summer months. Are foreigners allowed into Italy now that the lockdown has ended?

Last edited by Moderator1; Jun 7th, 2020 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted political comment
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 07:41 AM

Well done! Enjoy your summer.
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 08:08 AM

Does this mean you can go to your summer home now and visit your family? That would be so nice, after all this time.
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StCirq View Post
Does this mean you can go to your summer home now and visit your family? That would be so nice, after all this time.
Our family in Emilia Romagna came here today. We hadn't seen our grandson (2 years old) since late February. He remembered us, thanks to video calls, and he remembered where we keep his toys. He made a beeline to the toys.

I think we'll go to our summer home, DV.
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 01:41 AM

Well done. An amazing performance.

In the UK the BLM crowds are going to spike our numbers but at least the weather has worsened so the beach crowds will stop.

Last edited by Moderator1; Jun 7th, 2020 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Deleted political comment
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 04:43 AM

Yes, congratulations to Italy.

neckervd - ref those figures from Lombardy I was part of an italian Zoom on Thursday which included a participant from Milan who talked about how there are many people there who are pretty ill with it and she is still WFH. She said that people she knows are being very cautious.

So nice for you to be able to see your family, bvl especially the grandchildren. I have just started seeing my mum but we have to be outside and 2 metres apart. But much better than not seeing her. And we don't have to worry about toys.

Last edited by Moderator1; Jun 7th, 2020 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Deleted political comment