Reload this Page >

Italy - woman traveling alone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 10:13 AM
Ieda de Oliveira

I live in Rio de Janeiro/Brazil and I intend to travel to Italy next year alone (in setembro/2000). My itinerary will be Rome-Naples-Florence-Siena-Venice-Verona-Milan-Como. In Milan I will be accommodated at friends' house. In the other cities I intend to be in the Youth Hostel (albergues da juventude), because I cannot spend a lot. I intend to be from 12 to 15 days there. <BR>I would like to know which the attentions I need to take in this adventure. <BR>I thank in advance, Ieda <BR>

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 05:04 PM
cheryl

Ieda--I traveled to Rome and Florence on my own and felt very safe. I also made certain that I carried my valuables--passport,credit cards and cash in a moneybelt rather than in my bag. I left jewelry at home. I was approached by gypsies in the usual spots--the train stations and outdoor cafes. A firm No! or Basta! made them scatter. <BR> <BR>I was with a group through Tuscany but would go out on my own at night and again, felt safe. I think just paying attention to what is going on around you is important as in any city. The incidence of violent crime in Italy is very rare--the common crime of pickpocketing is what you should be on the lookout for. Keeping your hand on your bag and your valuables concealed should be something you are conscious about especially in the tourist areas such as the Vatican, the markets,buses, trains, etc. <BR> <BR>I haven't traveled to Milan and have heard it closer to a big city in the sense that there is more crime. Perhaps some other fodorites will help with their views on Milan's safety. <BR> <BR>If you have any other questions, please ask. <BR> <BR>enjoy your trip-cheryl

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 04:20 AM
Paulo

Regarding accomodations, I've only visited a few hostels in Italy. My daughters have used a couple of hostels belonging to the IYHF Hosteling International in Italy. On your itinerary there are IYHF hostels in Rome, Naples, Florence, Venice and Como or Mennagio. There isn't any at Siena. Appart from the one in Venice, which is very conveniently located in the Giudecca Island, all the others are retired from the city center but with convenient public transportation close bye. You should be paying about Lit 25,000 for a bed in a dorm (6 births). Some of the hostels have 2- and 3-bed rooms at higher rates. The hostels in Naples, Rome, Florence and Venice are bookable through the IBN system. There's a charge (it should be US$2, but here in Brazil my daughters payd R$ 10 for each reservation) and you prepay your nights here in Brazil, getting vouchers. I have no idea on how to go about reserving in Verona and Como/Mennagio. Most hostels have a curfew at 11:30pm (doors are locked). You'd need an international youth hostelling card, which you may get in Rio. <BR> <BR>Now, a possible problem may come up ... I have no idea if this hostels accept travellers over 28 years old. You'd have to check with them. In some of the cities you're planning to visit there are dorms run by catholic nuns (some of which only for women). This could be an option if the hostels' age limit cuts you out. <BR> <BR>Whatever you decide to do, be sure to have a reservation at least in Rome, Florence and Venice. Otherwise chances are you'll get stranded. <BR> <BR>For some more info on these hostels, refer to <BR>http://www.hostels-aig.org/shop-it/it-map.htm <BR> <BR>For info, eventual IBN booking and getting a hostelling card contact: <BR>Federaçao Brasileira dos Albergues da Juventude <BR>Rua General Dionisio 63, Botafogo, <BR>CEP: 22271-050 <BR>Rio de Janeiro RJ <BR>BRAZIL <BR> <BR>Tel: (55) (21) 2860303 <BR>Fax: (55) (21) 2865652 <BR>Email: [email protected] <BR> <BR>Abraço, Paulo <BR> <BR>PS. Sorry for not having answered you directly ... I didn't understand your quest about trip cancellation insurance. What exactly do you mean? BTW, how much are you willing to spend excluding your overseas flight? <BR>

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 07:51 AM
Ieda

Paulo, thank you for your clues! <BR>I already associated to IYHF last month. And they allow any age. <BR>My preoccupation is the distance among them (IYHF) and the tourist centers. Excepting Venice, of course! <BR>Do you have some address of the churches or of authorized houses in lodging? <BR>As I intend to travel in setembro/2000, I am researching details. <BR>In which city of my route is it interesting to rent a bicycle? <BR>As I will have only 12 to 15 days of trip, how can I divide the days among the cities (just taking into account the visits to the main tourist points, because it is a lot of ground to know and little money)? <BR>I would like to include Parma: I have a brother-in-law that lives there. <BR>I am not sure, but perhaps I cut Naples.. : - ( <BR> <BR>I await more clues. Thankful, Paulo! <BR> <BR>Ieda <BR>

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 08:04 AM
Ieda

Dear Cheryl, <BR>Thank you for replying. You are right. I think we should act as if we were in our own city (I was born and I live in Rio de Janeiro/Brazil - it is a big city too : -)! <BR>Cheryl, what do you advise me to do in Rome and in Florence without having to lose a long time? <BR> <BR>Grazie mille, Ieda <BR>

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 10:19 AM
Paulo

I usually recommend visitors to Italy interested in seeing as much as possible regarding art to spend 4/5 days in Rome and 3 each, in Florence and Venice. If you indeed want to visit Milan and Parma, at most you'll be able to squeeze an extra night in somewhere. If you do, you should strongly consider Verona. You may eventually visit Siena on a bus day trip from Florence (not ideal but nevertheless worthwile). Maybe your friends in Milan may drive you to lake Como. If you wish (and if you're lightly packed) you may stop in Orvieto for a short visit on your way from Rome to Florence. A stay in Naples, Siena and/or in Lake Como would be therefore ruled out. <BR> <BR>If you're flying into Rome and departing from Milan, you're train itinerary could read something like: <BR>Rome-Florence (possible stop at Orvieto) <BR>Florence-Venice <BR>Venice-Parma (either with a short visit to Verona or, if you spend a night there, with a possible quick visit to Modena - superb Duomo) <BR>Parma-Milan (possibly your brother in law would drive you there). <BR> <BR>If you use "normal" trains (except for the Florence-Venice piece when IC trains are more convenient) you should be spending not more than Lit 100,000. If you ellect to take an IC train from Rome to Florence this would rise to no more than Lit 120,000. Hostels should cost you Lit 25,000/day. Local transportation + monument entry fees should cost you approx. Lit 25,000. You shouldn't be spending more than Lit 40,000 for food. If you allow Lit 10,000 for daily unaccounted expenses this will add up Lit 100,000/day. Considering that you'll be staying with your friends & brother in law in Milan/Parma, I estimate that Lit 1,600,000 would be enough for 15 days. <BR> <BR>Regarding the hostel locations, you shouldn't worry. In Rome, the hostel is straight north of St. Peter's, very close to the Tiber. The bus station is next door. It will take you about 45 minutes to go either to St. Peter's (bus + 450 mts walk) or to Piazza di Spagna (bus + subway). In Florence, you'd have to walk about 400mts to the bus stop. The trip to Sta. Maria Novella train station shouldn't take more than 30 min. From there you may walk everywhere. I certainly wouldn't want a bicycle in Rome, Florence or Venice. I think I could use one in Verona, though. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 01:41 PM
Paulo

Oops ... for some info regarding religious institutions in Rome give a look at <BR> <BR>http://www.euromatica.it/Case%20ferie%20Roma.htm <BR>http://www.romeguide.it/files/cas_rein.htm <BR>http://www.ceida.com/religiosi.html <BR>http://www.euromatica.it/Case%20ferie%20Roma.htm <BR> <BR>A limited number of institutions have their rates disclosed (considerably higher than at hostels). For rates on most instituutions you'll have to call. Beware of curfews. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 26th, 1999, 03:49 PM
cheryl

Ieda-- <BR> <BR>Paulo has set you on the right track with both Rome and Florence..I agree <BR>that you should spend much of your time <BR>seeing the main sites in each city(most of which is art). My suggestions would be as follows: <BR> <BR>Rome <BR>The Vatican-St Peter's, the Museums-get there early and plan to spend at least four hours. <BR>Galleria Borghese--open for the first time in 20 years-just beautiful-call ahead for tickets. <BR>Forum/Palatine--I found this a nice diversion from the crowds I found at the <BR>Vatican--the ruins were beautiful and the Palatine was very quiet. Also you pass the Colosseum--so you can choose to take a tour or just view from the outside--I was pressed for time so I didn't tour. <BR>Museum of Modern Art--an interesting contemporary collection--you can walk to this museum from the Galleria Borghese through the Vila Borghese--I was there on a Sunday and it was filled with people rollerblading,cycling-- wonderful place. <BR> <BR>Also,Rome is filled with beautiful fountains,piazzas..Navona, Campo dei Fiori--under construction when I was there;-(, obelisks--ruins everywhere--do walk about and experience the city--the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain were very crowded, but the sight was well worth the crowd--also early mornings are great to avoid the crowds-- <BR> <BR>Florence <BR> <BR>Bargello--no crowds and wonderful collection of sculpture <BR>Accademia--David! <BR>Uffizi--crowded, try to get reservations <BR>so you don't have to stand in line--late day usually is the best time. <BR>Duomo <BR>Museo del Opera--Ghilberti's real doors <BR> <BR>Siena--do not miss the Duomo--marvelous floor (should be uncovered this time of year)and Pinturicchio's frescoes. <BR> <BR>Finally, enjoy great food, wine and gelato (affordable options abound in both cities)--search here under Rome and Florence and you should find lots of ideas for your trip. Enjoy! <BR> <BR>Should have any questions--feel free to email me-cheryl <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 03:27 PM
Sharon

Stay at the "Gould Institute" in <BR>Florence...I have never stayed <BR>in a hostel in my life (53 yrs.old) <BR>and This place is like a hotel... <BR>clean room and fresh sheets. <BR>Beautiful building and very safe. <BR>Cost me around 33,000 lira. <BR>I am going back to Italy Nov 26 <BR>with a friend this time, last time I <BR>went alone....(one month)...and <BR>I would go back to stay there. <BR>You will have a great trip and <BR>God bless you.... <BR>

Old Oct 29th, 1999, 07:20 AM
lucy

Florence seems to be blessed with excellent hostel opportunities. I stayed at the Ostello Villa Camerata which is in a big yellow villa perched on a hill and hung with purple wisteria blooms (in Spring, at least). The views of the Tuscan hills surrounding it were, as far as I can remember, the best views I have ever had from any lodging, including some of the fanciest, priciest in Europe and the U.S. Breakfast was a treat - huge bowls of perfect caffe latte, fresh breads and jams, which you could have on one of the many terraces outside in the hazy sun. They showed movies (in English); when I was there it happened to be A Room With A View-how perfect is that? And at the bottom of the (long) path from the bus stop to the villa there's a little old woman who will do laundry for cheap. The only thing less than magical about the place was the large crowd of people; it's a huge hostel, very bustling, and the showers are communal. Not co-ed, but no privacy. The lobby feels like a train station. But other than that, it was my favorite hostel, and I stayed at plenty. (It is a ways away from the center of town, but that's no problem, and it's in a nice little neighborhood with sweet shops and cafes, and again, those views! That wisteria! Some of my best pictures of Florence are of the hostel!) <BR> <BR>One note about traveling as a single woman: be careful if you take overnight trains. I never had anything stolen, but I did wake up once to find a (young, handsome, well-dressed, obviously middle- or upper-class) strange Italian man kissing me! I thought I had locked the compartment door, but it turned out to be broken. He didn't seem to want anything more, but I -obviously- was a bit shaken.