Italy with Daughters in April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2017, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On daughter is in Florence, Italy for study abroad. We plan to visit with another daughter, 28 in April for 10 days. We have been to Florence albeit older daughter has not. We have been to Rome, Pompeii, Sorrento, We have no flt plans so open to suggestions. We hav been to cinque terra but again older has not and she would like to visit it.
I see other cities that are mentioned:
Padua, Ferrara, Ravenna, Bologna
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 05:46 AM

Venice, Vicenza, Verona.
Keep your time for CT flexible and have alternate plans in case you have very rainy weather.
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 08:47 AM

There are hundreds of cities in Italy that make for a good visit. What do you and your 28-year-old daughter wish to see and do? You should both be reading guidebooks and studying maps and asking your daughter in Italy what she would recommend. Me? I'd rent a car and tool around Tuscany and Umbria, but can't speak for what might interest you.
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

And dad/spouse going too.
We like everything -since we will be in Florence 1/2 the time, we would prefer simpler
Days for rest of time.
I'll check out noted towns.
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 01:11 PM

Venice for sure!

and other towns sassafrass mentions are cool - stop by Lake Garda- nice day trip from Verona -take a lake boat tour on your own with a day pass - Sirmione is one of the nicest Roman archaeological sites in Italy IMO.

For lots on Italian trains check www.trenitalia.com; www.ricksteves.com; www.seat61.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com (their online European Planning & Rail Guide has lots of rail itineraries in its Italy chapter).

Or go south to the Amalfi Coast/Pompeii/Capri/Naples area for better weather for sure - lots of neat stuff to day trip to from a base.
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 01:41 PM

Do I understand that you have 10 nights in Italy, and will spend about 5 of them in Florence? You'll have five more nights in Italy?

I hear you say that you like everything, but seriously? No preferences, such as nature, scenery, art, architecture, Roman or Etruscan sites, opera, museums, medieval or renaissance? Cities or small towns? Car or train? Heck, if you're that wide open, throw a dart at a map. I'm kidding but...

I would go north or south, and I'd probably go south in April.

My favorite trips have been to the Val d'Orcia area of Tuscany, to Capri, to Matera in Basilicata, northern Umbria with a day at La Verna (especially for lovers of San Francesco)...

I could expand on this list, but there was something in each place that I was anxious to see and do, and it became easy to center a trip in the region.
Old Jan 31st, 2017, 06:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Five days away from Florence aren't really very many, esp. since you need to return to Florence. I'd pick a nice town in Tuscany and explore the surrounding area by car. I like the Val d'Orcia area mentioned by tuscanlifeedit and the Chianti/Val d'Elsa area. If you don't want to rent a car and haven't been to Venice, go there. If you have been to Venice, although Bologna isn't at the top of my list, I recommend it for its good train connections for several day trips.
Old Feb 1st, 2017, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all the helpful comments. There numerous factors with various schedule to consider so I don't have all the answers yet.

(No Thanks to the snarky Tuscanlife-no one wants your rude comments- find another way to vent.)
Old Feb 1st, 2017, 06:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ah, BAH, the struggle we have in answering a question is understanding what you want. For me, I'd go, by train to Bologna, Ferrara, Padua, Mandova. But you might not like the city based trip looking at 1400/1600 architecture that I might want.

Others would suggest Milan/Turin looking at 1600+ large cities (for Italy).

While others might like truffle hunting in Alba and then Parma for the Balsamic vinegar.

There is so much to do and see that you can go anywhere and have a good time, or end up in a polluted city with nothing of interest.

For you guys I'd look at the usual favorites of a car and visiting Siena/St Gim, Montepuliciano, etc which can make for a fantastic Tuscan trip, with great food and wine. I'd probably move to a Agriturismo in Buonconvento as my base. But... we all want to see something different. This sort of Tuscan trip will leave the girls with good memories and if you chose the place well with owners who speak your language you will feel like family.

Come back with your ideas and we can help a bit more.
Old Feb 1st, 2017, 10:27 AM

We have been to Florence albeit older daughter has not.>

Leave that to her - on weekends from school -just over an hour by train.

Venice again and its area would be my first choice-do more than just Venice itself but boats to the outer islands- day trips to Padua, Vincenza, etc.

Venice is especially nice at night after day tripping and bus tour mobs have departed.
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Also, we have been to Milan, Venice, Siena and Bolzano. It may be chilly in April so maybe not too far north, just nearby Florence.
What about Cortana, Arezzo, or Umbria region- never been to any of those areas?
Need something fun, less Florence like, heavy renaissance since we will be in Florence for some of the time.
We could drive some but this time hubby prefers trains since it can be precarious driving although less so in some areas.
Thank you.
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 01:32 PM

What about Cortana, Arezzo, or Umbria region- never been to any of those areas?>

I based once in Perugia, a lovely lively hill town with a large university-neat old town.

And day tripped by bus from there to Gubbio - really nice old town;
Cortona - iconic hill town; Assisi - for religious buffs but still nice old town and Todi- spiffed up hill town catering for the rich and famous who live in estates all around it-not your typical crumbling old Italian hill town but nice.
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

That sounds intriguing-Perugia- university town will have some youthful activities, need to keep the 20 and 28 yr olds interested. They like food and wine.
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 03:24 PM

Oh BAH, I wasn't being rude or snarky. I was joking about about the darts, but trying to better understand your tastes.

I apologize for coming across as rude and snarky. I sometimes think I'm funny, but I guess in didn't strike you that way.
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 03:28 PM

Rats, now I feel bad.
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 03:42 PM

tuscanlife I've never known you to be snarky, and I understood what you were saying.

I'm sure BAH will come around
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 06:41 PM

Thanks sundried. I've been reading your report and enjoying it.
Old Feb 3rd, 2017, 08:20 PM

If your daughter is off from university in Florence then the students in Perugia will also be off from university, and most of them will be visiting other places. Arezzo and Cortina are part of the Florentine renaissance, so it won't be a change of pace.

Ravenna and Ferrara would be truly different, and Bologna too if you want to stay there and do day trips. There is a lot to see in the area including the Ferrari factory if anybody is interested, and plenty of bike riding.
Old Mar 4th, 2017, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Looking at driving.
l nt Florence Ariive
2 nts Lake Garda- Verona, Siemione
3 nts Florence- Uffizi, day trip to Tuscany, Siena
2 nts Cinque Terra-Lucca
1 nt Florence Depart

any thughts?
Old Mar 4th, 2017, 07:31 AM

Bah would be nice by having a nice word with Tuscan.
That poster is a helpful one and yes posts can be misunderstood.
However Bah attack on Tuscan was quite clear and aimed to hit.
And yes I didn't comment due to vagueness bordering on naivety from OP.
I like everything is not the best way to elicit precise answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -