Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy with 3 kids - Lakes? Amalfi? Sardinia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2010, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to go with our 3 children (8 and under) to Italy in the summer:
In Lake Maggiore or Como, where do you suggest we stay? A pool is a must...
What do you think of the Amalfi coast or Sardinia with children?
Thanks!!
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:14 AM

How young are the "and under" kids? Amalfi Coast is a very vertical place, involving lots of steps in some towns to get from place to place. For some kids (and adults) this would be great, for others less so. What other interests do you have for your vacation besides a pool?
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:58 AM

Doesn't even take a second thought - Sardinia. We have been 5 times and each time it gets better. The beach are just about one step down from the Caribbean and they are by far the best in Europe.

In my experience children need beaches not art galleries or stunning views of romantic cliffs.

What is your price range? Hotel or apartment?

Be very careful the prices on the island can be stratospheric but the quality doesn't match. There is good value out there you just need to be careful.
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:42 AM

I think they are a bit little for the Amalfi Coast which has stony beaches and very little pool availability because of the vertical nature of things. We have been twice in the last three summers and had a fantastic time but our youngr daughter was 7 the first of those times and we thought that was about the lower end of the age spectrum to really enjoy it (and thus for the parents to really enjoy it!).
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your comments. The kids are 8,6 and 5. We'd like to do a mix of visiting beautiful towns, some art/culture and beach.
I think the kids can deal with the steps at Amalfi, but not with a place where kids are not really welcome. What do you think?
Sardinia looks beautiful, but again, no idea of where to stay with children.
We'd like a 4 star hotel, luxurious, but authentic and charming.
Thanks so much!!!
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:29 AM

I'm interested in this topic as well. We're considering Italy with our two 7 year olds. Only thing is my wife and I have done the Rome/Tuscany/Florence thing, including Cinque Terre and Venice, several times and would like to try something different. Thinking about Southern Italy, but don't know how much the kids would get out of it.
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:08 AM

ztrip,

There are not an overwhelming number of quality 4* hotels in the places you mention, so Tripadvisor would be the place to start. The user reviews will give you a very good idea of whether children are welcome are not.

I have yet to see the Italian trip that is a no-brainer, with or without chidlren. I also think that the Amalfi in the summer has so many stairs your might find it less fun than other places.

CatManDoo,

You might enjoy reading this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/200...familyholidays

Something else you might consider is taking a trip that includes the volcanic parts of Italy -- Vesuvius, Stromboli and Etna. If your kids are sensitive, they might not want to dwell on Pompeii, but the active volcanoes are quite interesting (there are night tours of Stromboli), and there are other sights around, swimming, boat rides and lots of pizza. There are overnight ferries from the Napoli area to Sicily and its islands. Might be a treat in itself.