Italy - Which sector to drive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, we are booked for Italy (Rome) on May 28th and so far here is the plan -
4 days in Rome, 3 nights in Venice,
2/3 nights in the lakes region (Two in case we have to spend the third night in Milan to catch our flight back) This still leaves us with 2 extra nights. I do not want to add those nights to the cities already mentioned. I wanted to visit the Amalfi coast but have dropped that idea based on advice for Fodorites. I was thinking we could rent a car to travel one of the above sectors and then stop by on the way in some smaller, quaint towns. What part of the trip would be better to rent a car for - Rome to Venice or Venice to the Lakes? Would we need a car to get around the lake Como area or maybe go into the mountains? Or is it better to stop at some towns along the way to Venice? I know renting a car can be problematic, please advise on the best places to rent from so I can check the rates. Is it possible to rent a car for a day in case we want to take a day trip once we are in Bellagio where we will probably be staying?
Also, what is the best way to get to Milan airport from the lakes, is it better to stay overnight in Milan before a 10.30 am flight?
Thank you again for everybody's help in planning this trip. Bear with me, I am sure I am going to need a lot more!
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 07:59 PM

i would pick the car up as you exit venice and use it through your departure from milan
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 11:53 PM

The Amalfi Coast is a very spectacular area of Italy so perhaps keep it in miond for your next trip. I would definitely rent a car in Rome and drive through Tuscany to Venice. The countryside is fantastic with Montepulciano,Siena,San Gimignano and Florence being "must sees"
I would then take the train from Venice to Como ( change at Milan) then the ferry to Bellagio. On the return I would stay in Milan for a night as 10.30 flight means the airport at 8.30. You don't need a car for Lake Como as it is a magnificent place best viewed from the ferry or hydrofoil on the Lake. Also the roads are very winding and slow.
http://www.bellagiolakecomo.com/inglese/italiano.html
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 03:06 AM
ira

I agree with DU.

Old Nov 8th, 2008, 05:49 AM

At Lake Como, we stayed in Varenna and made an 11:00am Malpensa flight with some time to spare.

My point is that some towns on Lake Como are better for early am flights than others. There are options on the west side of the lake as well. You also might considering hiring a car to drive you to the airport (maybe $150US Lake Como to MXP).

We like Lake Como a lot and if I were you, then I would try for two full days there.

The best use of your rental car days is propably the Rome to Venice thru Tuscany idea. Lake Como is less stressful without trying to park a rental car. Barendelli in Bellagio rents Smart cars, but you will have plenty to see and do without a rental car.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all, I think if we do the Rome to Venice through Tuscany by car and then can find a place to rent a car for a day if necessary in the Lakes area, that would be perfect. Would we rent the car in Rome in the city or go back to the airport? Any recommendations for car rental sites? Would Varenna be the best place to stay to be able to make it to Milan in the morning? Thanks for your recommendations DownUnder, any other opinions on places along the way to Venice for an overnight halt?
Thanks again.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 12:23 PM

Renting a car at Rome airport is the easier option as you can then take the ring road and on to Tuscany eliminating the stress of driving through the hectic Rome traffic.
Varenna is directly opposite Bellagio and has the advantge of a railway station. You could catch the train from Varenna to Milan Central and then the airport bus to Malpensa. www.trenitalia.com for train timetables.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, I will check to see how long it will take by train and bus though I think it might be a little nerve-wrecking for us!
Big_Red, did you drive or take public transportation from Varenna to Malpensa? Also, where did you stay in Varenna? I had already narrowed it down to a couple of hotels in Bellagio but if Varenna is the better option, I would love some hotel recommendations there. Thanks.

Not sure why my post is not showing up under Italy.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 02:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Using public trans, Bellagio to Malpensa v. Varenna to Malpensa is only about 15 minutes longer (the duration of a ferry ride). Train to Milano Centrale and then bus to Malpensa, which will take about 2.5 hours. You can also take the fast ferry from Bellagio to Como and then train directly to Malpensa (change at Saronno). But I'm too much of a worry-wort to rely on public trans when I have a flight at 10:30 a.m., and if I want to get to Malpensa by 9:00 a.m. or earlier that means starting off too early for me. I'd spend the last night near Malpensa. But that's just me.

I can recommend the Hotel du Lac in Varenna, the Hotel Florence in Bellagio and the Villa Malpensa at the airport.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Have you considered either Florence or Bologna? There's plenty to do and see in Florence and it's a very walkable town. In fact, you really don't want a car there as there are strict rules about vehicles in the old town. We just stopped in Bologna for lunch, but I wish that we had had more time there.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, cferrb, I have considered Bologna and Florence but was hoping to find a more off the path place. We are more into scenic beauty than museums, monuments etc, if that is any help. I do not know much about Bologna though a friend also recommended it, what did you like about it?
We will definitely want to stay in/near Milan for the last night, we are not morning people and in any case, we will be too tense to sleep the night before if we had to leave that early. Will check out the hotels, I had already picked Du Lac as one that I liked, will check out Hotel Florence too. But now that the distance to Milan is not a factor, which one should I pick, Bellagio or Varenna?
The Villa Malpensa is a little beyond my budget (200 euros) although it looks really nice, any other recommendations for a hotel in Milan with easy access to the airport
By the way, is 300 euros for a 2 day car rental (automatic) pretty typical?

Old Nov 10th, 2008, 08:08 AM

There are other hotels near Malpensa that have been recommended here. Just do a search.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 04:45 AM

Excited,

In Varenna, we stayed in the Albergo Olivedo. This is a two star place (no elevator, etc). I believe that half board is mandatory (good food tho') also all rooms are lake-front. We have stayed there twice.

For Malpensa, you might look for hotel in the Cordona area. I believe that the Milan commuter rail links Cordona with MXP by trian.

The decision between Bellagio and Varenna depends on what type of experience you want.
A) Varenna is small and picturesque, with almost a fishing village feel. Not much night life in Varenna. The hotels are probably a little more affordable here.

B) Bellagio is a tourist center with a dozen hotel choices, shopping and dozens of eating choices. Bellagio would be a good choice.

Are you just one couple or a larger group?

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 04:55 AM

If you are looking for an "off the path" place, you will not want to consider the main towns on Lake Como. Or maybe I misunderstood your meaning..

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 07:26 AM

If I was traveling from Rome to Tuscany by car I would rent car in Orvieto or Chiusi.

Take train from Rome to either one.

Besides being the wrong direction, there is absolutely no reason to go to an airport to rent a car. In fact, renting car at an airport is typically more expensive than renting local.

From either Orvieto or Chiusi you are in Tuscan hill towns.

On Lake Como you may consider Menaggio too. Wherever you decide to stay, buy an all day ferry pass to visit Cadenabbia, Bellagio, Varenna, Lenno, Menaggio, and Tremezzo - the "ferry-go-round" as we call it.

If you use last day / night in Milan, which I would, to go from Milan to Malpensa it is very easy to take the shuttle bus from Milano Centrale train station.

For a 10:30 flight I would take a 7A bus. It takes about one hour and cost is about 8 euro. Here's the link to the shuttle from Milan to Malpensa:
http://www.malpensashuttle.it/e-default.htm
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, I think I like the sound of Bellagio more, I will concentrate on hotels there. Hotel Du Lac, Bellagio is 205 euros per night for a quad which is within my budget but the quad room does not have a lake view which I really had my heart set on. Two doubles are too expensive. Hotel Metropole has a family room with a side view of the lake for 230 euros but they are not sure they will have air conditioning. Not sure which one would be better? Any other recommendations?
I think 2 double rooms at First hotel in Milan should be fine for our last night.
Big_Red, the lakefront view in Varenna sounds great, maybe if I cannot find one in Bellagio I will look into Albergo Olivedo, were you satisfied with the hotel, quality of rooms etc? We will be traveling with my 18 year old daughter and 20 year old son.
Motorino, thanks for your suggestions, any idea which car rental agencies would rent from those places? I will have to do some research on that.
ekscrunchy, I am not looking for 'off the beaten path' places everywhere, just thought that instead of stopping in Florence along the way to Venice,maybe we could find some place different since we will be driving and Florence does not really excite me though of course, I could be wrong, since I have never been there.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 12:39 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I am confused about your itinerary and when you will have a car (and why).

I see that the essentials of your trip are that you are flying into Roma, will be visiting Venice and need to fly out of Milano.

I see that you would like to add something other than a big city tourist destination for 2 days in your trip, and that you are attracted to Bellagio on Lago di Como.

I don't see any reason for you to rent a car. You won't need it or use it in Rome, Venice, Bellagio or Milan.

If you want to visit Bellagio, you can take a train to a town on Lago di Como (either Varenna or the town of Como) and take a ferry to Bellagio.

In your original post, you expressed a desire to drive to smaller, "quaint towns" as part of your trip. Bellagio is really a tourist resort with a beautiful view.

If you would like to see something of rural Italy, what would make sense is for you to take a train from Roma to either Orvieto or Chiuso and spend two nights in a Tuscan town. Use the car to drive to Venice when you're done. Skip the lakes. Go directly to Milan for your last day in Italy, and fly out from there.

Hope that helps.

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 04:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi excited; Try this hotel in Bellagio hotelflorencebellagio.it We had the ajoining rooms, with a large terrace on the second floor. If you look at the hotel picture, the rooms were just above the tables and chairs on the ground floor. Great view of the lake. ENJOY Iris
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 06:39 AM

No A/C at the Hotel Florence in Bellagio.

If you don't need the amenities of a hotel, try an apartment:

www.residencelalimonera.com
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

zeppole, besides the 4(Rome)+3(Venice)+2(Lakes)+1(Milan), we have 2 extra nights which I am trying to decide where to spend. As I said before, I would rather not add them on to the above mentioned places, this is where the 'off the beaten path' comes in. My thinking is that if we drive from Venice to Rome, maybe we could visit a couple of places like that along the way. We are 4 of us so I'm not sure taking the train would be much cheaper than renting a car. Ideally, I would love to get down to the Amalfi coast from Rome for 2 days but I do agree that will make the trip very hectic - hope the desire to see it all does not get the better off me!
Cam you give me a sense of Orvieto or Chiusi - I will do some research too
Anyone have recommendations on car rental agencies? Does anyone else feel Rome airport is not the right place to rent a car?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -