Search

Italy vs France

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 09:13 AM
Lou

Italy vs France

Please suggest the perfect place for week long get away to enjoy: peace and beauty of location, food, history/museum...old world charm, shopping - in that order. Italy or France? Specifically where? Many Thanks!

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 09:28 AM
cathy

Italy! Italy! Florence & Venice, the smaller towns in Tuscany. Beautiful country, friendly people, unforgettable vacation. Enjoy

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 10:05 AM
elvira

France, the Dordogne Valley.

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 10:09 AM
Carol

Lou--which do you prefer, pasta or crepes? Seriously, not for nothing are both countries tourist meccas. Try to figure out which you'd like to visit first, based on what you know/have heard about the respective cultures, cuisines, history, etc.

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 10:13 AM
Carol

Both countries have plenty of all the things you're seeking. I've just been in the Dordogne (aka Perigord), stayed in Sarlat-le-Canada and fell in love with the area; this spring I'm planning to return to Italy--Assisi, Siena, Spoleto, Orvieto.

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 11:01 AM
Rex

...the perfect place for week long get away... <BR> <BR>This implies you want to stay in one place - - is that correct? Many of us really like to move around. Will you "day trip"? How big is the radius in which you are willing to move around? Is it defined by a reasonable taxi ride? How do you feel about the freedom of driving yourself from point to point? Or can your "perfect place" include nearby attractions easily reached by train? <BR> <BR>Since you list "peace and beauty" first, I am going to assume a willingness to consider a suggestion outside a major city. If I am wrong, then you should stick with Paris or Venice. <BR> <BR>Otherwise, with a certain willingness to move around, I am drawn to suggest Lake Como, especially Bellagio. You might not find enough "history/museum" component unless you include Milan as part of your week long stay there. <BR> <BR>Talloires (France) would also fit the bill; but again you might need to include Annecy, Geneva or Lyon to add a little more "zing" and diversity to your week there. <BR> <BR>The Amalfi coast would certainly work for a week, especially if you are inclined to explore the nearby islands, Pompeii, Caserta and other parts of Campania. <BR> <BR>And in France, you can certainly scratch a lot of these itches by staying in or near Monaco (though not "peaceful"? - - unquestionably beautiful, all the same) with excursions out to Nice, Antibes, St Paul de Vence and others. <BR> <BR>And last of all, if peace and beauty means the splendor of the Alps (particularly in winter), then Chamonix - - with the inclusion of Meribel, Albertville and maybe even Montreux (Switzerland) - - though this area is a little short on "history/museum". Even outside ski season, this is a great area and overlaps with the Talloires/Annecy suggestion. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 01:13 PM
Jackie

I think I trip to Italy, especially Tuscany and Umbria, would be the perfect answer to this recent inquiry. History/Museum=Florence (and Rome if you can get there during the week) and Siena. Old world charm=Florence, Siena, and Assisi (in Umbria). Shopping would also be in Rome (yeah you should probalby go to Rome too, so add Lazio to that list of Regions). The food in Italy is excellent--as long as you like Italian food. The pasta is the best ever, and if you are a vegetarian like me, Italy is the place to be. And the pizza...did I mention the pizza??? Buon appetito! <BR>Also, Umbria is perfect if you are into hiking, etc. I've heard wonderful things about Orvieto, which is a hill town in Umbria, and also I've done much hiking in the mountains and hills in Umbria, and its absolutely beautiful. Italy is my destination of choice--I think it would be perfect for the things you suggest. <BR> <BR>geocities.com/j_goyette/t.html