Search

Italy vs...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 02:15 PM
Cass

Italy vs...

Hi there! I was wondering if anyone could give me a comparison of expense for taking a trip to Italy rather than to, say, the Carribbean. Is the difference in how much is spent significant? I am researching honeymoon spots and, as we are on a budget, just thought we would get advise from people who have been. Thanks!! <BR> <BR>Cass

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 02:34 PM
elvira

I'm not being mean, but your question is like asking which do you like better, Christmas or chocolate cake? <BR>If you like white sandy beaches and water sports, relaxing in the warm sun and drinking mai-tais, being waited on hand and foot, room service, sitting on a balcony while reading a good book, eating seafood and tropical fruit while a steel drum plays softly in the background - then the Caribbean or Bermuda or Aruba or the like is where you want to be. Don't spend the extra money to go far away - if what you need is a beach resort. <BR>If you and your new spouse like European art, Gothic architecture, history, classic cuisine, a variety of scenery, getting into small villages off the beaten path, then Italy or France or Spain or wherever in Europe will make you happy. <BR>For me, there are two sorts of vacations: lolling (I go to Florida for that) and seeing stuff (Europe and northern Africa have been explored, but not nearly enough). You have to decide which you want for your honeymoon. <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 06:46 PM
Beth

As far as budget goes, it is possible to "do" Italy more cheaply, and it is also possible to find budget places in the Carribbean. I suppose you might get less hotel for your money in Europe, but then a European trip isn't really about accomadations, and a Carribbean trip is. Also I think food tends to be more expensive in the Islands. I'm with Elvira on this, you should decide what you want in a honeymoon, and make the decision based on that. Make your budget fit the trip rather than making the trip fit your budget, if you know what I mean. <BR> <BR>PS -- I like beaches and art and ruins and sightseeing. So we honeymooned in Greece and got both. And Greece is less expensive than Italy too.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 07:21 PM
Lulu

Cass, <BR> <BR>I totally agree with the other posts; however, take in to consideration another fact: if you are having a semi to a big wedding your going to need relax on your honeymoon. I was in the same position as I got married last June. We went to Italy for 3 weeks on our honeymoon. I'

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 06:29 AM
Jen

I agree with the above posts - you can't compare the 2. Since it's your honeymoon and you may be tired - anything in Europe is not relaxing like a beach vacation. My husband and I did France for our honeymoon and like very active vacations so that was good for us. We were exhausted and loved it! <BR> <BR>Don't look at $$ being the deciding factor - you need to determine what type of trip you want and the $$ is the 2nd consideration. If it's your life-long dream to go to Italy and figure this is your one shot at it, then go. <BR> <BR>One note: If you've never traveled outside the US before, you may not want to do it the first time for your honeymoon. Trust me, the stress from the wedding may not mix well with trying to make your way through a non-English speaking country. You may just want someone to bring you frozen drinks by a pool.

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 09:09 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR> <BR>In addition to agreeing with all above, I just want to say that I consider anyplace in Europe an "adventure" as opposed to a Caribbean/Hawaiian/etc resort/beach area as a "vacation". My activities (and also frame of mind) are entirely different in both places. While many newlyweds certainly have honeymooned in Europe and enjoyed it, I always feel like I need a "vacation" when I get home from Europe.