Italy trip planning help needed

Old Apr 20th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy trip planning help needed

DH and I are planning a trip (with three children - 1 teenager and 2 kids) to Italy en-route to India from US. We will have 11 days (not including flying days in/out of Rome). We plan to arrive in Rome in the morning and take a train to Venice by afternoon (that day is not included in 11days) and start our trip from Venice and finish in Rome. Want to see Florence and some countryside on the way back. How do I start planning? I am just starting my research so, please give me ideas.

TIA
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 07:31 AM

You start with a good map, some guidebooks, and the internet, including Fodors - read the thousands of posts about traveling in Italy here. If you want to see countryside, you'll need a car, but you do NOT want a car in the cities.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 08:04 AM
jgg

Here's a link to my trip report from our first trip to Italy when our kids were 9 and 12. http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...or-2-weeks.cfm

We had a few more days, but with 11 I would probably do 3 Venice, 3 Florence and 5 Rome. I think doing the big 3 - Rome, Venice, Florence with a daytrip to the countryside is a great first trip to Italy. We've been back to Italy twice since then.

I agree with StCirq's recommendations to get a guidebook and start reading there and through the internet, particularly Fodors trip reports. Lots of good suggestions, and I think your plan will start to formulate on what you think you're family would like to do.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 08:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You have to decide what you want to see/do in Rome, Venice and Florence to decide how much time to spend in each. (We can't know what will interest you most.) Understand you lose nearly half a day moving from place to place. If there's any time left after you've made those decisions, consider any possible day trips from each city into the countryside using public trans or local tour companies. For example, while in Florence, you could use trains to see Pisa and Lucca or join a day tour that will take you by bus to Siena and San Gimignano. It's also possible to get to Siena and SG by public trans, but moving 5 people around might be easier in a tour. That's your call. You know your family best.

When is this trip? Considering you'll need multiple rooms, I wouldn't leave hotel booking too late.
Old Apr 20th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

I completely forgot to add that we will be there in the second week of July. I am planing to look into apartment rentals, is that possible?