Italy trip - need suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2018, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is traveling to Italy this summer. We are 2 adults and 3 tween/teen children who are seasoned travelers. We have booked the tour through Cosmos. I know it is always a lot more fun to go on your own and not be confined by a tour, but we have health issues to consider and we have determined this to be the best way to travel for our needs. We specifically booked Cosmos because there is a lot of free time to book optional excursions or do things on your own. We did a similar tour in California last summer and sometimes we did the excursions and sometimes we planned things on our own, like a surf lesson in Malibu for our kiddos.

We are starting in Rome, moving to Florence via Pisa, and ending in Venice. We like art, history, activities central to the locale, and food. We will go to museums to see specific things, but we don't spend lots of hours in them. We especially like knowing what the locals do and eat. My son especially wants to see a gladiator arena. I would love to go to church in Venice.

Here are my questions for you:

1. We will have two full days in Rome on our own. One of the days we will opt for an excursion to the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel. What else do you recommend for our other full day there?

2. We are staying at the Santa Costanza hotel. Any restaurant suggestions nearby?

3. In Florence, we are staying in the Italiana Hotel. we have 2 nights free for dinner. My husband is particularly looking forward to the food here. Any suggestions for where we can find a tuscan meal or meal experience?

4. We will hit the highlights via walking tour in Florence, through Cosmos. Wondering if we should do Highlights of Uffizi as an excursion? Or something else?

5. We will head to Venice via Verona. There is an optional excursion the day after we travel to see Verona. Since we will be passing through on the way to Venice, do we need to go back?

6. Venetian Lagoon? Yes or no?

7. What else is there to see and do in Venice?

8. Restaurant recommendation for Venice? We are staying at Antony Palace Hotel.

Your feedback is so appreciated!
Old May 16th, 2018, 07:31 AM

I recommend picking up a guidebook - Rick Steves's books are good for first time travelers. You will then have a better idea of the options and be able to decide what appeals to you most. The DK Eyewitness guidebooks have gorgeous photos which you can thumb through to get exited about what you will be seeing.

The Roman Coliseum will be a must for your son if he wants to see where gladiators fought.

The Uffizi museum is wonderful but, if you only have time for one museum, I would opt for the small Accademia Gallery and see Michelangelo's statue of David. Try to get tickets in advance so you don't waste time standing in line.

The San Marco Basilica in Venice is the main church on the plaza. Try to get advance tickets for this as well and when inside go upstairs to the balcony overlooking the square. The square and area around the basilica is very crowded during the daytime. During the day, I would wander around the island or take a boat to the island of Burano and enjoy the beautiful, colorful town there. In the evening, be sure to visit San Marco square again and listen to the outdoor orchestras playing (and competing against each other.) You don't have to pay to listen but can just stand in the square. I bet your kids would like to take a gondola ride.

I hope this is helpful.
Old May 16th, 2018, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

This is SO helpful! We have a guide book, but really everything looks fabulous and it is hard to figure out what are the "must dos." Your suggestions are great, thank you!
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:16 AM

I took my tween to Italy last summer. She loved exploring Venice, much of which can be enjoyed just wandering around (esp. Piazza San Marco). Skip Palazzo Ducale. The kids might like a quick trip up the campanile in Venice. The views are really cool. gondola ride would probably be a hit-but if it’s $$$ just a waterbus ride is still interesting. You could hop on and off the waterbus walking around experiencing the sites in different areas. Venice is so unique. My pro tip for food is trying cicchetti (like tapas) in a small place.Not too expensive and parents can have a glass of wine while you relax.

Florence-
ypu might want to look into the Firenze card.
definitely see David (as stated book ahead!). Also I bet the kids would enjoy climbing the duomo. Make sure to explore the other side of the ponte vecchio. Although the Pitti Palace Tour is dry, the gardens are very nice and there is great food with casual ambiance in the area...
i do recommend a trip to uffizi-prebook!
the main sites in Florence are pretty compact, so although you MUST book some sites, wandering around is also enjoyable.

We we really liked Verona with its easy going vibe. Plenty to see/do but nothing that felt “mandatory”. I bet the kids would intrigued by, (and they can run around in) the arena there. All of the piazzas are enjoyable, and castelvecchio had a mix of indoor/outdoor spaces to explore. Can you see that I tried to keep my 12yo engaged by allowing lots of movement? We stayed on lungadige rubele and found the small streets near porta Leoni very nice-with ice cream shops, pedestrian only areas, and even an area where you could view an excavation.

Enjoy!!! And let us know what you decide.
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:31 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We liked this restaurant in Florence, recommended by DD's home-stay family: La Cucina del Garga

We sent foodie friends there, who liked is so much they ate there twice.
Old May 16th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

This is great! Thank you all so much. I will definitely let you know what we end up doing and planning. Keep the ideas coming!
Old May 16th, 2018, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have heard that the Teatro del Sale is quite something. I haven't been to Florence in 50 years, but when I do get there, I want to try it.

Welcome - Teatro del Sale

https://www.yelp.com/biz/circo-lo-te...l-sale-firenze

It looks like the ultimate in dinner theater.
Old May 16th, 2018, 04:04 PM

How could I forget? Your family will definitely want to try the gelato in Florence and most likely will "need" to compare the offerings from multiple locations. Here is an article to get you started: https://www.visitflorence.com/eating...-florence.html.
Old May 16th, 2018, 09:08 PM

You mentioned attending church in Venice. The Anglican Church, founded by the Archbishop of Gibralter around 1650, has a service Sundays at 10:30. St Georges, Campo San Vio, Dorsoduro.

If you go, there will be a minister in a clerical dog collar, and his assistant, one Philip Gwynne Jones. Phil has written two novels set in Venice, “The Venetian Game” and his most recent, “Vengeanc in Venice”. If you go to St Georges, say hi to him from Peter and Louise.
Old May 17th, 2018, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for these suggestions. I appreciate the recommendation for St Georges and I will read those books before going! What fun!

Sadly, after falling in love with the restaurant website, I tried to ask about the reservation policy at La Cucina Del Garga to find out they will be closed for the week we are there (they didn't say why). So sad about this but I bet there are some other great options. I will definitely look into the dinner theater, and I am open to any other suggestions for dinner in Florence as well.

OF COURSE we will have t sample ALL the gelato! LOL! Thanks for that link.
Old May 18th, 2018, 06:58 AM

That's bizarre that Garga is closed during the summertime. It's the Italian attitude for you. haha. Sorry!

As others have said, do not miss David. It is probably the most impressive piece of art I've ever seen in person. Another one is at the Uffizi, Botticelli's Birth of Venus. But, seeing the 'real' David is really special. It is breathtakingly real.

Another restaurant we liked in Florence was Acqua al 2 (prounounced "duo")
Acqua al 2 | ...dal 1978 It gets crowded and busy, for a reason. Their balsamic steak is well-known.

Have fun!
Old May 18th, 2018, 07:28 AM

MoBro...too long away from Italian class but should that 2 be pronounced 'due aye'?

Bargello is a nice museum.
Old May 18th, 2018, 03:39 PM

One of the best suggestions I ever got re Florence came from a Fodorite.

In the very late afternoon, go to the bus station in the centre of town and take a city bus from Florence up the hill to Fiesole. When we were there in 2005, it cost something like one euro. Get off at the Bar Blu, sit on the terrace and have a glass of wine (sodas for the kids), and watch the sun set and the lights come on in Florence below. It's magical.

We ended up eating dinner at a restaurant in Fiesole but I don't remember much about it and wouldn't be able to recommend it. I'd suggest you make your restaurant reservation at someplace wonderful in Florence and go there after your drink in Fiesole.
Old May 18th, 2018, 04:01 PM

No, not duo or due-aye, assuming it's meant to be the Italian number two. 2 is doo-ay (as in the letter "a"). If it has a more subtle meaning, e.g., referring to a couple or pairing, all bets are off.
Old May 19th, 2018, 01:38 AM

I think TDudette is correct. “2” is pronounced like ‘due-aye’. Which sounds the same as StCirq’s spelling ‘doo-ay’.
Old May 19th, 2018, 01:47 AM

Yes, I realized after reading it again that TDudette's pronounciation was the same as mine, just with different spelling (when I read due, I was thinking in terms of Italian pronounciation)
Old May 19th, 2018, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Oh mercy, I am sure I will butcher all correct pronunciations. However, the restaurant looks exactly like what we will enjoy. We have a 2nd open night for dinner there as well, so keep the suggestions coming!

These are such great suggestions. You all never disappoint. So many of our best travel memories have come from suggestions here on Fodors. Thank you!
Old May 19th, 2018, 07:43 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>We are starting in Rome, moving to Florence via Pisa, and ending in Venice.<<<

Can you link your tour? I only see one tour on Cosmos with this itinerary/hotels and it barely has any time anywhere. It's only a 7 day tour with only one day in Rome, one day in Florence and one day in Venice. Additionally, the hotels are not centrally located so you can't just walk to things. You will need to taxi. you have to keep in mind that the historic centers are pedestrian. Perhaps I didn't see your tour and you actually have more days than this. Do you actually have two full days in Rome in addition to the tour company planned days?

https://www.cosmos.com/tour/rome-florence-venice/6350/
Old May 19th, 2018, 08:03 AM

In Florence near the central market there is also a large food market, on the top floor there are lots of stalls to grab some lunch; everyone can pick what they want- thought that might work well when traveling with teens. as others mentioned Florence is quite compact, so from the central market you can get to the David, and other major sites quite easily
Old May 20th, 2018, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

That’s great info about the market. I have two tween girls and my boy is a teenager — he eats all. the. time.

Kybourbon our trip has another title but seems similar to what you posted. However we are coming in two days early so, yes, we have the extra time in Rome. I do understand a tour is not ideal but in the case of our family, it’s either travel this way or don’t travel at all. The tour portion of the trip is paid for so at this point we are just looking for suggestions for restaurants and what’s best to do in each place. Sometimes we will opt for tour excursions and other times we will opt out and explore on our own. We are totally fine taking taxis into town or even hiring a car service, both of which we do often. We are fine with walking around within the town. I wish we could take more time in each place and lengthen the trip even more but again, that’s just not ideal for our particular situation. My hope is that those of us who are able will get an overview and can return again to stay longer at the places they enjoyed most. We are really looking forward to this and I am so grateful for all your suggestions! Keep ‘em coming!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -