Search

Italy Trip Itinerary Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2022, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Trip Itinerary Suggestions

Hi there.

I'm wondering if my itinerary is even moderately realistic. I am in Italy for about 15 days with a couple friends at the end of September,

We fly into Rome plan to travel from (ROME>FLORENCE) - (FLORENCE> VERSILIA) - (VERSILIA> AMALFI) - (ALMALFI>POSITANO) - (POSITANO>SORRENTO) - (SORRENTO>CAPRI) - (CAPRI>SICILY) & LAST 4 DAYS iN SICILY BEFORE RETURNING TO ROME.

We plan to spend a few days in Versilia and a few days in Sorrrento other than that its a lot of location changes day by day,
I'm nervous at the idea of this being too much travel and getting burnout over a 15 day span.

Might it be better to just go south or Rome and space out our trip more generously in Naples, Almalfi, Sicily area.

Sorry this is so convoluted I am simply a stream of consciousness at this point.

Thanks!!!!!

Last edited by tarmstrong2478; Jul 26th, 2022 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 10:53 AM
mjs

Have you ever been to Italy before?
Old Jul 26th, 2022, 04:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Too much for me.

It would help if you flew into Pisa or Florence and home from Palermo to eliminate all the backtracking. It would also help if you had 3 weeks instead of 2. Maybe I'm not understanding your plans, but TBH I can't figure out how you have enough days for all of these destinations. Are you spending any time in Rome at all? Will you be burned out? Who knows. But you will run out of clean clothes by the time you get to Amalfi.

FYI, Viareggio to Amalfi would take 8 or more hours (train to Salerno + bus or ferry).

It would be better to travel Positano to Capri (ferry), then Capri to Sorrento (ferry), then Sorrento to Naples Airport for flight to Palermo. Ferry service in the area can be suspended under certain weather/water conditions. You could get stuck on Capri and miss your flight. It's not a high risk, but a risk nevertheless.

Sicily is huge. It covers 10,000 square miles, so I wouldn't be thinking of it as an "area."
Old Jul 27th, 2022, 04:20 AM

To answer your first question, no, your plan is not realistic.

Without knowing your priorities, it’s hard to give any meaningful feedback. What I would do might not be what you would do. But a few thoughts, I would eliminate Sicily from this plan. There is already so much to see in the mainland that adding Sicily, worthy of easily 15 days (and more!) on its own, just is too much in the time you have for your trip. You would not do Sicily justice and you’ve skipped over so many places in Italy’s mainland.

Are you interested in beach time? food? Museums? Small towns? Large cities? How many of you are there? Are you renting a car? Taking public transport? Where and what kind of places do you plan to stay? Rome (a fantastic city) and points south might make a much better trip, but September is still quite busy so you need to focus your plans sooner than later.

I would sloooooow down, list priorities, and then plot travel times between places. And then make a more realistic plan that you can do.

Old Jul 27th, 2022, 04:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
list it out by nights and where you are, assume every hotel change kills half a day on average based on travel, check in, check out, waiting etc. Then see how many actual hours that leaves to enjoy yourself.

Sicily looks like the outlier, Versilia is just little beach resorts with the odd town
Old Jul 27th, 2022, 07:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was thinking Florence and Versilia (Forte dei Marmi, Viareggio, etc.) were the outliers... (At least the list doesn't include the (usual, predictable) Cinque Terre...)

tarmstrong2478, perhaps you can tell us why you've included seemingly very brief stops in Florence and the Versilia. Both destinations beg for several days to both explore/enjoy and (I have to say) justify the time to get there and then time to travel so far south.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -