Search

Italy- Train Amalfi to Siena

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2017, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy- Train Amalfi to Siena

Hello,

My wife and I need to plan our travel from Amalfi Coastr to Siena. Thinking we would need to take a train from salerno or naples to Siena. Or would we need to go to Florence then take a train to Siena? Obviously looking for quickest most direst route. Trip is already planed and will need to get from Positano to Siena in one day travel. I realize we will likely need to leave Positano very early.

Thank you!

Joe
Old Mar 20th, 2017, 01:10 PM
J62

You can look at schedules at trenitalia.com.
Old Mar 20th, 2017, 02:12 PM
ekc

If you are traveling from Positano, I would have a driver take you to Naples, then ctrain from Naples to Florence, then bus from Florence to Siena. The bus drops you in the middle of Siena, while the train station is on the outskirts of down, down the hill.
Old Mar 20th, 2017, 02:22 PM

By train - train Salerno to Naples to Chiusi- change to train to Siena- no hassle changing to bus from train in Florence though that route may be quicker because high-speed trains do not serve Chiusi I believe -for lots on Italian trains (and discounted tickets available on faster trains- regional trains have a flat fare and accept no reservations)- check www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

The bus drops you in the middle of Siena, while the train station is on the outskirts of down, down the hill.>

Yes one advantage of bus from Florence-but there is a lift of some kind from train station to upper old part of town that could take you as close or closer to your hotel perhaps.
Old Mar 20th, 2017, 08:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
That's a long day of travel.

One possibility is to head to Salerno, catch an Italo train to Rome Tiburtina (not Termini) station. Switch to the Sena bus at Tiburtina to Siena. The Sena bus will drop you at the historic center.

http://www.italotreno.it/en

http://www.sena.it/Home/78-1-en.html

>>>but there is a lift of some kind from train station to upper old part of town that could take you as close or closer to your hotel perhaps.<<<

There's a series of escalators, but the part of the old town is unlikely to be near where most people decide to stay. It can be quite a trek to your lodging if you use the escalator. You are usually better off catching a bus from the train station (last time I caught it you had to go in the underground parking to catch it) up as it will drop you at Piazza Gramsci.
Old Mar 20th, 2017, 09:04 PM

Received 28 Likes on 4 Posts
Some useful information here, if you decide to go via Florence :
https://www.discovertuscany.com/sien...out-a-car.html
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 03:17 AM

I imagine you'll be traveling with luggage. Therefore ease of travel is important. I'd suggest you train all the way to Siena, and then take a taxi from Siena train station to where you need to be in Siena. A taxi should cost a little over 10 Euros.
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 07:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Reading54, esp. if the train connection in Florence is shorter than the train-to-bus connection.

Here's the timetables for the bus from the Florence SMN station.

http://www.tiemmespa.it/var/ezdemo_s...f494957c9f.pdf
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 07:28 AM

I would agree with Reading, except if memory serves me (and it doesn't always), I thought the bus and train terminals were very close in Florence, so getting from one to the other might not be such a chore, especially if you're traveling light.
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 07:38 AM

OP, I came on your thread to see what advice you got because the thread title, "Amalfi to Siena" would have been a bit easier to pull off than Positano to Siena.

From Positano, you need to get to Salerno or Naples (or Sorrento which adds an extra leg: Sorrento > Naples.

In this case, I do think a driver to Salerno or Naples is your most convenient option. And coming from Positano, I think I would choose the direction of Naples. However, I would also check train times from both Salerno and Naples.

The busses, IME, on the AC are too unreliable for pursuing transport connections.
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 08:14 AM

except if memory serves me (and it doesn't always), I thought the bus and train terminals were very close in Florence, so getting from one to the other might not be such a chore, especially if you're traveling light.>

Yes they are - and I think you need no reservations for buses and as they go all the time probably get one without a long wait but check on that.
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 10:05 AM

>>> Therefore ease of travel is important. I'd suggest you train all the way to Siena, <<<

I've done this and it's not as simple as it sounds. If you take the train, you will either have to switch in Rome to a regional train which requires another change at Chiusi Chianciano (my train left Rome way behind schedule and we almost missed the Chiusi connection). Or you take the train all the way to Florence, change to the regional train or transfer to the Florence bus station to catch a Sita bus (rapid bus is faster than the train between Florence/Siena).

If you switch to the regional train in Florence, you may have to wait an hour or so in Florence to get a train that does not require a change between Florence and Siena. If you travel on a Sunday, it will more likely be 2-3 hours between for trains that don't require a change between Florence/Siena. Ditto for Sita bus schedules on Sundays.

The Sena bus from Rome to Siena is also faster than the train from Rome to Siena.

I've done all of the above in all the various options. By far, the easiest was train to Rome and then catch the Sena bus outside Tiburtina (luggage goes under the bus and you don't have to worry with it again until you reach Piazza Gramsci). YMMV

Connections depend on which option you pick, but odds are you will have to hang around an hour or two somewhere.

No matter what you chose, you will have a long day of travel. The Sena bus or the regional trains between Rome/Siena will give you a bit of the Tuscan views (don't know if you are planning Tuscan countryside trips from Siena). The fast train to Florence stays in tunnels quite a bit so not as much views if that matters to you.
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 10:05 AM

Naples - Siena by fast train (Frecciarossa): 4 1/2 hrs, change at Florence
Naples - Siena by Intercity and regional train (much more scenic itinerary): 5 1/2 hrs, change at Chiusi, for example Naples dp 14.31 - Siena ar 20.03
You may also go by direct train from Naples to Roma Tiburtina and change there to a direct Siena bound bus.
Trains from Sorrento to Naples every 30 min
Old Mar 21st, 2017, 12:51 PM

By far, the easiest was train to Rome and then catch the Sena bus outside Tiburtina (luggage goes under the bus and you don't have to worry with it again until you reach Piazza Gramsci)>

sounds like the way to go-Q- are seats guaranteed on bus or do you have to book in advance?

Anyway sounds like the best route and probably cheapest as well if you get a discounted Naples or Salerno to Rome Tiburtina train ticket.
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Hello Everyone,

this is very helpful so far and thank you! I should have mentioned that we are staying at a B&B style inn the Frances Lodge just a bit outside the city of Siena. So we will need to taxi from either bus or train station in Siena to the Inn. The other option I wouldn't be against would be driving from Florence to the Inn we are staying at in Siena. Unless you folks think that would be a painful drive to do/ figure out??

Truly we are just looking for the quickest route from Positano to Siena without risk of missing trains, buses, etc....

Sounds like maybe hire a driver from Positano to Salerno- train to rome- bus from rome to Siena might be a the best option?... How long does the bus take from Rome to Siena?

Thanks Again!
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 09:51 AM

About 3 1/2 hrs
https://web.busbookingline.it/index....nza/13-04-2017
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 11:01 AM

Unless you folks think that would be a painful drive to do/ >

out of Florence maybe depending on time of day- might be your best idea if you are going to have a car anyway. Or for a more scenic drive take train to Orvieto -rent car near station and drive via mountain passes to Siena (same way train goes).
Old Mar 22nd, 2017, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You could rent a car in Sorrento. The drive is 5+ hours not counting any stops but very easy. There could be a one-way rental surcharge. One advantage is you load your luggage once and don't have to deal with it again until you reach your lodging.

There is also a rental office a few blocks from the Siena train station.

The Hertz office in Orvieto, the only car rental in the town, is no longer affiliated with Autoeurope.com so you'd have to book directly with Hertz. Most other Hertz offices in Italy are still in the Autoeurope system.

If you want to book with Autoeurope, Chiusi works.

http://www.autoeurope.com/

Check open/closed hours wherever you decide to pick up the car. Many offices are closed for a few hours in the middle of the day, Saturday afternoons and all day on Sunday.
Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 04:51 AM

>>>About 3 1/2 hrs <<<

Some runs are 2:45. There are perhaps a few longer that make more stops.

***19/04/2017 09:15 ROMA 19/04/2017 11:50 SIENA BALTOUR-EUROLINES Orari e Fermate
AUTOSTAZIONE TIBURTINA - 09:15
-:-
11:50 - Viale Toselli (Penny Market)
12:00 - Pza Stazione FS-Fta SENA
12:15 - Piazza Gramsci (fermata Sena)
12:20 - Stellino fermata Sena***

Random date in April selected which departs Tibutina at 9:15 am. You would want to get off at Pza Stazione FS (the train station) instead of going on to Piazza Gramsci since you are staying outside of Siena. Depart 9:15 and arrive 12:00.

>>>neckervd on Mar 22, 17 at 1:51pm
About 3 1/2 hrs <<<

If you look at your link, the time listed says 1:40 (that is am), but if you look right below it, there is also 2:00 am departure. Both claiming to arrive at 5:25 (am) so I'm not certain there are 2 buses. If you look at the rest of the schedule, you will find the majority are about 2:45.

>>>You could rent a car in Sorrento. The drive is 5+ hours not counting any stops but very easy.<<<

I like this idea. Rent the car, stop somewhere for lunch (Orvieto? Montepulciano? Pienza?). Since you are staying outside of Siena and will need transport anyway. I would keep the car until Florence and turn it in at the airport (a one day rental often costs as much as a 3 day rental). There is a shuttle bus from the airport to the bus station (6€) or a taxi to your hotel at a set fee of 22€ (plus maybe 1€ per bag charge).

If you rent a car, you will need an IDP from AAA. You will also need to make sure your luggage isn't visible while parked for lunch. There is a free lot at the Orvieto train station (free last time I parked there) and you can take the funicular up or you can go to a paid lot up top (watch for ZTL). If you choose Montepulciano for lunch (get off at Chiusi to head there), there are quite a few paid lots.

>>>sounds like the way to go-Q- are seats guaranteed on bus or do you have to book in advance?<<<

PQ - I book on the website. You print your ticket and the driver tears or marks it. I don't think the Sena/Baltour buses let you select a seat online like Marozzi buses do. You need to keep any ticket until you get off.
Old Mar 23rd, 2017, 07:47 AM

bourbon - thanks for info- excellent advice as usual.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -