Italy to Greece how to

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 08:19 PM
pamela

Italy to Greece how to

I am traveling to europe in a few weeks and would really appreciate any info on trains and ferries I will leave from Rome by train and I'm sure some of you wonderful travelers would be able to give me some tips,I have enjoyed reading all your messages,you all seem to know everything. would I use europass or not? also need some help on a hotel in Paris ,called the Ideal? do you know it? Thanks Mate! pamela

Old Apr 18th, 1999, 07:53 AM
wes fowler

Pamela, <BR>You can find information on the Italian-Greek ferries at: <BR>www.strintzis.gr

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 09:29 AM
Amy Beth

I don't know your budget or time frame, however, I took a similar trip last year and we flew on Eurair from Rome to Athens. It was well woth the extra cash. We didn't have 2-3 days to spare. Additionally, once you get to Athens, you then have a a very long and uncomfortable ferry tip to whatever island you are going to (assuming that you are!) Feel free to e-mail if you have any other questions!

Old Apr 21st, 1999, 01:57 PM
Bob

In the off-season, you may have less choice of ferries, as I discovered. Friends who travel this route frequently told me to opt for Greek ferries over Italian when possible. Having taken both, I now agree. The service was better. But, that's a few years ago - perhaps things have changed.

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 04:19 AM
lARRY

Pamela: <BR> <BR>From Rome you can take a train to the port of Brindisi on the southeast coast of Italy. From there youy can catch a ferry to Patras, Greece. This is about a 11-12 hour ride. I believe they have both day sailings and overnight sailings. To check schedules go to Greekferries.com (I think) or type in Greek Ferries in any search engine. From Patras, you will have to take the train into Athens - approximately 3 hours. Hope this helps. If you need any other info my wife and I returned from a trip to Italy/Greece & the Greek Islands last fall and would be happy to share our experiences. <BR> <BR>Larry

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 10:51 PM
Ray

Another e-mail address that will get you <BR>schedules for ferries from Bari, Italy <BR>to several port in Greece <BR>