Search

Italy Shopping

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Shopping

Hello,

I am going to Italy in a month for my honeymoon. We are going to Rome, AC, Florence, and a vineyard outside Florence. I would really like to come back from my trip with a beautiful gift to give a friend who is getting married. Something that won't break the bank. Any recommendations of something special and shops would be appreciated!!!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM

You can find some lovely pottery. Bring some bubble wrap along with you and carry it home on the plane. I picked up a set of 4 small plates from different places. They don't match but have the same main colors. I love using them when I entertain.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 08:52 AM

I adore the salad bowls and cutting boards made from olive wood. These should be fairly easy to find in Tuscany; I bought my salad bowl in Florence in the shop of Dino Bartolini on via dei Servi, 30r, a street leading northeast from the Duomo. Bartolini is a large and respected kitchen supply store; they have a good selection of olive wood wares as well as all kinds of great tabletop accessories and cooking utensils. Make sure to go upstairs to have a look. The salad bowl cost me about 90$ USD in 2001 and I use it literally every day! It is one of my favorite purchases from Italy. You can get a smaller size, or a cheese board, for less money.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

That sounds good...can you also suggest any interesting places in Italy that sell beautiful glass blown objects? Will that break the bank???
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Venice is the place for glass.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Venice is the place to buy glass, although you will find shops selling Murano glass all over the country. The good stuff is very expensive; I would shy away from it for a gift due to both cost and transport issues.

How much do you want to spend on this gift? Is it for her or for the couple?

What about an album covered in hand-made Florentine paper and bound in leather? I bought one for a wedding gift in a shop in Florence and they sent it to the bride to be... the name of the shop:

Abacus, Via dei Ginori, 30R (near Mercato Centrale)
(I would recommend a shop such as this one rather than the ubiquotous Il Papiro chain..)
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

I am willing to spend $250. It is for my brother and his future wife. I hate to hear that glass is super expensive!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:32 AM

There is all kind of glass in all kinds of forms and qualities and prices. I did not realize your budget was that high...a set of 4 glasses or a vase should be within reach but why not get something from the area in which you will travel? You will see some lovely ceramics on the Amalfi coast...you could even take a trip to Vietri where many of them are made, it is on the A/C.

Another idea would be his and her robes from an upscale company like Frette.

Or a velvet or leather-bound camel hair blanket from the same company...both of these would need to come from outlet stores to stay within the budget but it is fun to dream, right?

You will find great frames in silver and pewter in Florence...the store I mentioned above should have them.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks...I am in the middle of planning my wedding, quitting my job, and moving to a new state in a different part of the USA....your help is much appreciated...it makes my life a little easier! I am excited to shop at the places you suggested!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:17 PM

I haven't been there so can't comment directly, but I saw this on "Inside the Tuscan Hills" on PBS. Bookmarked it for our trip in August. Colle di Val d'Elsa is supposed to be known for its lead crystal and is located between Florence and Siena.
http://tinyurl.com/37bwrs