Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy -- Rome to Florence to Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
So I'm traveling to Italy for my second time in late-August, and unfortunately only have about 6 days. We fly into Rome, plan on going straight to Florence/Tuscany for 2 days, plan on ending with Rome for 2 days. So the question is how to spend the middle 2 days of the trip... Cinque Terre or head to the Amalfi Coast?

CT seems like the easier, more practical option, but I'm worried we'd be missing out on the AC.

Any feedback would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 09:55 AM

Well, Cinque Terre is nearer to Florence but requires good walking shoes. It's basically 5 small villages linked by a trail- there's lots of climbing up and down steeply terraced hillsides- tough at any time and particularly in the heat of August. The railway links all the villages but you'd still need to walk in and out of each place.
Amalfi coast is just as beautiful and perhaps offers more options such as boat trips to Capri, Amalfi, Positano or a day in Pompeii.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 10:37 AM

You can't do everything! With such a limited amount of time, how do you plan to see anything of Tuscany outside Florence? If you arrive in Florence on Day 1, you have only part of that day and the following one, to see the city. I think it would be much better to stick to Florence and perhaps the Tuscan countryside since you have only 4 days before you travel to Rome.

Or forget Rome and go to Florence/Tuscany and CT.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback guys. What do you think about forgetting Rome and doing 3 days in Florence and 3 days in the Amalfi Coast? I know it's totally subjective depending on whether you are a history/religious buff or looking for good scenery... but how would you all rank Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, and Amalfi?

Thanks again.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 04:16 PM

You cannot rank these places. Everyone has their own taste and opinion. If you actually have to ask the question, I imagine that you are not all that interested in art or history. I know this is an assumption on my part, so let us know if it is, indeed, the case.

It makes no geographical sense to me to do Florence and the Amalfi Coast in 6 days but of course it is possible. Fly to Florence and then take the train to Naples from there, then make your way to the Amalfi area.

What is it that is attracting you to the Amalfi Coast--the scenery? Do you understand just how jam packed that area will be in late August? If you are determined to go there, perhaps you ought to spend the 6 days in that area, perhaps combining with Naples. Or combine with Rome.

But I am sharing only my own opinion. The way I see it, it is much better to see one area in some depth and leave the rest for next time. The fact that you will be traveling at the highest of the high seasons for the coastal resorts complicates matters.
Old Jul 12th, 2011, 06:14 PM
JBX

Okay .... let me get this correct. It's now the middle of July, and you're just now planning your trip to Italy which is for next month, Aug-2011 ???

You do realize this is high season, and that both Amalfi Coast and Cinque Terre will be crazy busy? Okay, it's prime time for most places in Italy .... that being said, your decision may be dictated according to where you can find available accomadations.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 05:42 AM
ira

Hi R,

Ditto JBX.

>What do you think about forgetting Rome and doing 3 days in Florence and......

Given your restrictions, I would do 3 days in Florence and 3 on the CT, assuming that you already have your plane tickets.

Old Jul 13th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Yes I have the plane tickets, just sorting out the agenda.
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. This was extremely helpful with our planning.
I think we're going to do 2 Florence, 2 CT, and 2 Rome.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 07:57 AM

You do realise you'll probably be spending at least half of your time travelling, unpacking & packing ? 3 destinations in 6 days - especially when 1 of them is in the opposite direction from the airport to the other 2 - is madness.

Do you even have 6 full days ? Are you including your arrival & departure days in that ? Will you be arriving off an overnight flight and so possibly good for not much the first day ?

With only 6 days - in August - flying into Rome, I'd stay the full time in in 1 place, either a) the Amalfi Coast or (better) somewhere on the coast nearer Rome or b) Rome with 1 or 2 day trips to a nearby coastal town. Personally for me (and most people I reckon), August would be too hot in any Italian city so I'd stick to the coast.

As someone else said, you may in any case be dependent on what accommodation you can get now - especially in the Cinque Terre which doesn't have much.
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Caroline. Any favorite coastal towns near Rome that you'd recommend?