Reload this Page >

ITALY: RESTAURANTS THAT ARE A MUST?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 1999, 06:31 AM
Laura

I will be leaving for Italy next week. I have found so much useful information on this site, including numerous restaurants. So many that we won't be able to go to all of them. Which restaurants would you say should definetly not be missed in Rome, Florence and Venice? <BR>Thank you.

Old May 5th, 1999, 06:36 AM
cheryl

I haven't been yet (going on this trip), but everyone I know who has been says don't miss Cibreo in Florence.

Old May 5th, 1999, 06:46 AM
HENRY V.

VISITED FLORENCE IN 9/98,IT SEEMED IMPOSSIBLE TO GET A BAD MEAL.HERE ARE SOME WE LIKED:TOSCANA,ANGELINO'S,LUMA DI LAMPE AND OSTERRIA DE BIANCA CINIGALE.I THINK ALL ARE LISTED IN FODOR'S GUIDE. ENJOY.PS.PIZZA AT PIZZA PARADISIO.

Old May 5th, 1999, 08:01 AM
Paulo

It really depends on how much you're intending to spend <BR> <BR>Very Expensive/Expensive (approx. price/person) <BR>Venice: Da Fiore (Lit 80,000) <BR>Florence: Enoteca (Lit 150,000) <BR>Rome: La Pergola (Lit 110,000) <BR> <BR>Moderate <BR>Venice: Vini da Gigio (60,000) <BR>Florence: Cibreo (Lit 60,000) <BR>Rome:

Old May 5th, 1999, 08:17 AM
Paulo

It really depends on how much you're intending to spend <BR> <BR>Very Expensive/Expensive (approx. price/person) <BR>Venice: Da Fiore (Lit 80,000) <BR>Florence: Enoteca (Lit 150,000) <BR>Rome: La Pergola (Lit 110,000) <BR> <BR>Moderate <BR>Venice: Vini da Gigio (60,000) <BR>Florence: Cibreo (Lit 60,000) <BR>Rome: Piccola Roma (Lit 50,000) <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old May 10th, 1999, 03:24 AM
Laura

Thank you for the suggestions. Looking forward to the excellent food. <BR>

Old May 10th, 1999, 03:48 AM
Laura

Thank you for your suggestions. We can't wait for the excellent food. <BR>

Old May 10th, 1999, 06:39 AM
Beth

Paulo, <BR>Great suggestions. I've heard or read about the restaurants that you mention in Florence and Venice. I don't know anything about the two Roman ones. Where are they located? what are they noted for? any more info would be most appreciated.

Old May 10th, 1999, 12:19 PM
Paulo

I haven't really been to the La Pergola yet The best restaurant I've experimented in Rome was the Agata e Romeo, with the Convivio a close second. Other two restaurants we also found very good were the Pappa Giovanni and the Cecchino dal 1887. All kind of expensive and rated among the best in Rome by some Roman friends of ours. Among many others, we know the Piccola Roma first hand. <BR> <BR>The La Pergola, in the Hilton Hotel (via A. Cadlolo, 101 - tel 06/35092211), has just made it to the top of the Gambero Rosso Italian gourmet magazine (and I have personally never disagreed with it in the past ...). Strangely or not, it's the first Roman restaurant to achieve it! It is a grand restaurant with a superb view from the terrace. It may be classified in the group of "cucina criativa" with menus changing all year round. The Gambero Rosso, gave it 10/10 rating for service, 9/10 for ambience, 18/20 for the wine cellar, 51/60 for the cuisine and 2 bonus points, for a total of 90. For comparison, the Enoteca Pinchiorri, in Florence, got 92. <BR> <BR>The Piccola Roma (via Uffici del Vicario, 36 - tel 06 6798606) is an unpretentious old trattoria with a typical old Roman cuisine (somewhat "improved" here and there) and a quite big wine list. The ambience is very warm and confortable and service is more on the informal, friendly, side. There's a big table of antipasti on display and prosciutto, cheese, etc. hang from the ceiling. After and assorted antipasto plate, I had risotto ai funghi and trippa; my wife had tagliolini and abbachio ... delicious. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>