Reload this Page >

Italy railpass question?

Search

Italy railpass question?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 06:38 PM
Stephen

Italy railpass question?

Hi, I need help with a simple question. What reservations or additional ticket or boarding passes, if any, are needed to ride Italian trains if you already have a railpass? Simple huh!

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 07:09 AM
Mike

Ha, but this is a very good question. You will need to pay a supplement and make reservations on all Eurostar Italia trains - ES for short. These trains run between Rome and Florence for example. This is a pain because you will have to stand in line - which in Italy can take awhile. Cisalpino Premier trains also have these requirements. To avoid this, you could take a regular train, however on some routes they are few and far between. For example, between Rome, Florence, and Milan, a regular train leaves in the morning and takes about 3 to 4 hours to get to Florence. IC and EC trains are also an option on these routes - no reservations or supplements required. All other routes do not require a supplement or reservations. In general, if you are traveling between large and popular cities, watch for Eurostar Italia trains - otherwise get on the train with your pass in your moneybelt. Good luck. Email me if you have any further questions.

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 12:28 PM
Monica Richards

I had a railpass for my honeymoon three years ago (today!). We never made reservations, just hopped on the first train going where we wanted. My advice is to get the first class pass, as those cars don't get as full. We never took the Eurostar, so we got along fine going to small towns and big on just the regular express trains. Try to stay off of the "local" trains if you can, because they stop EVERYWHERE, which can really slow you down.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 05:34 AM
Mary

I will also be needing train info. <BR> <BR>We will be doing the train from Florence to Rome, Rome to Positano area, Positano to Sicily. Perhaps stopping in Calabria before Sicily. <BR> <BR>My questions are: <BR> <BR>If I want to take the IC's, will I be able to buy a pass here in the States and not have to bother with checking in at the various stations? Is this the best way to go? Any other ideas? <BR> <BR>I'd prefer to get my tickets in advance and other than validating at the station, just hop on and go! <BR> <BR>Thank you! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 06:44 AM
Mike

Hello...it looks like you would be better off from a financial point of view buying your tickets as you go. You could, if you wish, purchase tickets prior to departure in the US for Major routes in Italy...Florence to Rome. However, this option will cost more and tighten your flexibility. I suggest you get your tickets in Italy. Getting your tickets in Italy is not difficult, it just requires a bit of patience. Note your route on a piece of paper and about what time you would like to depart so the person who helps you will have an easier time of it. In Florence, they may speak English. Although Italian train personel have a bad reputation...for good reason. I have found a few Italian pharses and a gentle approach works wonders..most of the time. In short, get your tickets when you arrive. A pass simply will not pay off based on the itinerary you noted. Good luck!! Email if you have any other questions

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 04:43 PM
topper

!