Italy -Question about Regional Train from Rome to Naples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I want to travel on the regional train from Rome to Naples, but can't seem to buy it online @ the trenitalia site. For those with experience, can I ask:

1) Does anyone know the saving I would make travelling on Regional as opposed to non-regional, which I know costs about 20 euro.
2) Is there a way to book regional trains online? Is it even necessary or will I get a ticket easily? I am travelling in August (peak).

Hope someone can help me!
Thanks!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 06:59 AM

The Regional and InterCity trains are generally less expensive than the Eurostar. I was able to do a search on the Trenitalia site and it is possible to purchase a ticket for a Regional train. This is the site that I used:
http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/
I've traveled the Rome/Naples route many times. In my experience, I've never needed to purchase the ticket in advance. If you're worried, you can buy the ticket at the station a few days before you plan to leave.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:03 AM

On a regional train, you cannot reserve a seat, so any purchasing in advance is pointless. You are in exactly the same situation whether you have bough the ticket 2 months or 2 minutes before departure.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:05 AM

Hi SA - The regional train fare Rome-Naples costs only € 10.50.

It's a big saving ... but it takes over an hour longer - 3 hrs approx.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 07:20 AM

These are long trains and there's rarely a problem getting a seat, except at peak commuting times. Even if you leave Roma in the evening peak time, most passengers will be getting off at intermediate stations, so you won't have to stand for long. The trains are likely to be quieter in August because fewer people will be commuting to and from work.
If you aren't in a hurry, these trains give a chance to read a book or relax. Their punctuality used to be erratic because priority was given to the faster trains, but it may be better now that the faster trains use the new inland high-speed line.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 08:25 AM

slide away,

Based on my experience, I would highly recommend spending the money on the ES train!

On my last trip, I had a ticket for the ES train Rome-Naples, but in my jet-lagged stupor, boarded the wrong train. It was the regional train to Naples and was on the same track, but left 10 minutes earlier.

The train was filthy I didn't even want to sit on the brown tinged seats, smelled strongly of urine, and forget even getting near the restroom! Also no A/C. Was not crowded in the mid-morning, but did take nearly 3 hours, stopping at every town along the way.

Spend the money!!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:22 AM

My experience has been like Dayle's, those trains especially going to the south can be filthy, esp. in the toilets at the end of the day.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 10:27 AM

And graffiti at times is even painted over the windows

The ICp trains are nearly as fast as ES trains on this route and are rather cheap - i took ICplus trains both ways one day last january and they are up to snuff. Reservations required and i made one just minutes before my return to Rome so should not be a problem
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone. I decided to book the ICplus train - although I'm having trouble with the trenitalia site! I'll post my problem in a separate message - hopefully someone can help!