Reload this Page >

Italy Quandary ?

Search

Italy Quandary ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 08:44 AM
Ron

Italy Quandary ?

We have 11 nigts to spend in Italy in May. We were thinking of spending 4 Nights in Rome on the Via Veneto then on to Florence for 3 Nights and then back to Rome for 4 additional nights staying near the Pantheon. Is eight nights too many to spend in Rome? We are planning on taking a full day tour to Pompeii and Naples, and figured on losing 2 half days for travel back and forth to Florence by train. We are allocating a full day for the Vatican and therefore thought the 8 days would allow for a relaxed stay with time for some late wakeups and lots of coffee and meal stops along the way. <BR> <BR>The alternate option is to stay 5 nights in Rome (skipping Pompeii), 3 nights in Florence, and then on to Venice for 3 nights. <BR> <BR>Also how difficult is it traveling by train with one rolling suitcase and one carry-on per person. Is the transfer from the Venice train station alot more difficult with luggage as compared to Rome or Florence? <BR> <BR>All opinions welcomed. Thanks in advance. <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 09:05 AM
elaine

Hi Ron <BR>I have not been to Rome, I'm sure it's wonderful, but why would you want to split your time there into two segments? <BR>I just think that's more wear and tear, more packing and unpacking, more time lost on traveling. <BR>I'm sure you'll get differing opinions here, but however long you decide to spend in Rome, here's what I would do. <BR>If your plane arrives in Rome, continue on to Florence that same day, either by plane or train. You'll be tired, but at least you get most of the travel over in one day. Spend the time in Florence (or wherever) and then return to Rome for the final part of the trip, assuming you'll be departing from there. <BR>As much as I love Florence, I love Venice even more, and wish you could do it all. I do think that with 11 nights, splitting them among 3 cities including inter-city transportation is <BR>bound to tire you out more, not to mention the time lost on transport. If you do all three, your three nights each in Florence and Venice will probably turn into two days each, and that's not much. <BR>As for luggage, I didn't find handling it in Venice to be any worse than handling it in Milan where I first arrived. I wore myself out getting myself and my heavy bag from the Milan airport onto a bus to the Milan train station, off the bus, onto the train, off the train at Venice. My Venice hotel was a five minute walk from my vaporetto stop and that was the easiest part of all. <BR>Pack light, and spend a little money on local laundry or dry cleaning if you need to. Even my little Venice hotel was able to arrange for laundry. <BR>If you would like any sightseeing notes, email me. <BR>good luck

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 09:42 AM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>I agree with Elaine, don't do Rome twice. I like your alternate plan but I'd probably opt for only 2 in Venice and tack on the extra to Rome. Your baggage should be ok. When we used to do the trains, we each had a duffel bag and small carry-on. <BR>It does force you to pack light (which you should be doing anyway.) We didn't do the train to Venice so can't help you there.

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 09:55 AM
Beth

My trip was more like your second option, we did Rome for 4 nights, plus 3 in Venice and 2 in Florence. And I even made the same decision, I could have skipped Venice and fit in Pompeii. I don't think you go wrong either way. Rome is wonderful, and you could easily fill 8 days there. But I wouldn't have wanted to miss Venice. I agree with other posters who suggest grouping all the nights in Rome together. Travelling and checking in and out of hotels wastes so much time. Also, if you stay a full 7 nights in Rome you might consider a weekly rental, an apartment or something. <BR> <BR>If you do go to Venice, no the transfer is not bad at all, and you should be okay with your luggage. If anything, getting from the train onto the Vaporetto is easier in Venice, then Rome or Florence. Just make sure your hotel is not too far from the vaporetto stop. And if they say its a 10 minute walk, or 1/2 mile or something, than take your baggage and walk 10 minutes at home and then decide if its too heavy.

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 02:46 PM
Patrick

Your question has been pretty much answered above, but the question I have is, "Have you ever been to Rome?" Why do you want to stay on the Via Veneto? Since the days of La Dolce Vita, it has simply become the expensive and convention run part of Rome. Of all the areas of Rome one could stay in, that would be my last choice. I'm not opposed to luxury hotels, some wonderful ones are scattered throughout Rome, but staying in that area seems to me like the most Un-Roman place in Rome to stay. But then, I'd never want a hotel on the Champs Elysee in Paris either -- sort of the same idea.

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 06:39 PM
Steve

I'm assuming that you'll be flying in and out of Rome and that's why you're planning on staying there twice. My choice would be upon arrival in Rome take a train to Florence have your 3 nights there then go to Venice for the 3 nights and then train back to Rome for the remainder of your trip. <BR>The "pack light" advice is something you should really consider. It's really not difficult to handle light luggage in Venice-just ask your hotel to give you detailed instructions on how to walk from the nearest vaparetto stop to the hotel. <BR>All 3 cities are wonderful in their own way and no matter what you choose to do I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 08:01 PM
David

We travelled to Italy last year and had the same itinerary as Beth described. Wouldn't want to miss Venice! For us 3 nights in Venice and 2 in Florence was right. I assume you made airline reservations already but Flying into Rome and out of Venice would work great. We left Venice for Rome for our return flight; so we caught a very early morning train to Rome in order to get us to the airport on time. Train travel was easy. If you make it to Venice look for the ramps on each side of the stairs leading from the station to the canal. It's sort of amusing watching everyone go bumping down the stairs without realizing there's ramps on each side! <BR>However, if going to Pomeii and Naples and spending more time in museums is a priority you may want to skip Venice. Either way you can't lose <BR>enjoy

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 08:38 PM
lisa

Hi Ron, I definitely think that you should go to Venice. Personally I preferred Venice and Rome over Florence. I would stay a few days in each place. Go early to the Uffizi in Florence, we waited in a two hour line-up in October ( and I wasn't that impressed when I got inside). I much preferred seeing the David and the prisoners at the Accademia (also quite a line). But if you really want to go to Pompeii which is awesome. I would recommend staying in Sorrento and perhaps a day trip over to Capri. Oh and if you're interested in seeing the Pope in Rome try to be there on a Wednesday morning. You can pick up a free ticket somewhere in the square (i'm not sure where) a few days before or just show up and stand behind the seats and you can still see and hear everything. Good Luck.

Old Feb 8th, 2000, 05:58 AM
Betty

As you exit the Venice train station, turn right and you'll see a very nice ramp which is great for rolling luggage. You can bump them down the stairway, but the ramp is easier. Getting on the Vaporetta is very easy with good ramps. Just BE SURE of the best Vap. stop for your hotel. You don't want to be dragging baggage up and down over bridges.