Search

Italy/Portugal Planning Assistance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2016, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy/Portugal Planning Assistance

Hello,

I am planning a trip for a friend and for all of my travels have received some great advice here, so I figured I'd ask for some more help.

The travelers are a VERY active, recently retired couple who love great food and shopping, being outside, the ocean, and some cultural activities, but not too much. My biggest concern about their plans so far is if they will have enough time in the Cinque Terre and in Florence.

Any feedback on their travel plans, itinerary, or suggestions for places to eat/things to do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Leave Tuesday, from Newark, 6:30 PM and arrive in Milan at 8:40 AM nonstop.

1 night in Milan
Train to Cinque terre, possibly Monterosso?
3 nights in Monterosso
Train to Florence
3 nights in Florence
Train to Venice
3 nights in Venice
Fly to lisbon, rent a car
6 Nights in Lisbon area (this portion of the trip isn't optional - they are receiving a free stay in a friend's vacation home as a retirement gift.
Fly home nonstop to newark
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 06:20 AM

What time of year is this?

But it is impossible to answer your question about whether this is enough time for these two people in le Cinque Terre and Florence. If they like great food, the seaside, being outdoors and not so much museums, all sounds fine for me but you know them, no one here does, and since they are both adults who like to travel, not clear why they can't answer this question for themselves.

Monterosso al Mare is the least scenic of the le Cinque Terre villages, although it is the flattest. But since they are spending 3 nights in Venice and 6 nights in Lisbon, I'm guessing they don't have a problem with stairs and steep hills, so they might be happier in a different village in le Cinque Terre. I think Manarola has the better places to eat.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 06:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
doable, I've driven in Portugal but they need to be just a bit aware of the odd driving issue there, a little use of google will highlight my concerns, other than that they will be fine and the plan makes sense in a general way.

Time of year is crucial though for CT
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi!

Thank you for the feedback. They are going in April, which I have read is good?

Bilboburgler - that is what I am looking for. Just some general confirmation that this makes sense, since I have been to Venice and the CT but only for a short time and I am by far not an expert!!!

I will definitely have them read up on the driving in Portugal, and I will do some research also.

Sandralist - They want to travel - but they haven't very much at all up to now!
They are very active, so yes, hills are no issue. I wasn't sure about the CT towns - she mentioned Monterosso, but is not stuck to it and I have no idea why she chose it. I have only visited each town once, and actually stayed in Camogli instead, so I am very unsure. At that time of year, Manarola is a good choice?

Thank you!
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 02:24 PM

April is very early to go to le Cinque Terre. Even in the last week of April, they will still run a fairly high risk of rainy weather, and any time before that, the risks are even higher. It is still a time of year when, if it rains, it could rain for the entire 3 days. There is less to do in the 5 villages than there is to do in Camogli when it rains (and as you know, there is nothing to do in Camogli). So they should think about how they would feel if they booked le Cinque Terre and got stuck with a couple of days of rain.

You or the traveller might want to ask on the TripAdvisor forum for le Cinque Terre about whether they will get what they want out of visit there in April (and tell them which part of April -- the exact dates). I would think the trails are too damp for hiking and not sure how often the boats run. Spring weather on the Italian Riviera is quite unstable.

If they are not happy with the answers they get about the weather and overall conditions in le Cinque Terre for their time frame, from Milan it is easy to reach Venice by train and many towns in between if they would prefer Verona or Mantova or such with fewer tourists-- or Bologna where it becomes possible to have food adventures plus visit the beautiful smaller towns of Modena or Parma or Ferrara before moving on to Florence.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 02:26 PM

Sorry -- I forgot they were going to Venice after Florence. So if they don't want to see Verona (from which they could visit Sirmione on Lago di Garda on a nice day + other towns of beauty) then Bologna is a nice destination in any weather.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 11:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bologna is blessed with many (many kms of them I think) ancient covered pavements so that when it rains you can stay dry and when it is sunny you can stay cool. Also such a great train hub.