Italy or France - Too many options for spring

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to take a trip to Europe at the end of March when air/hotels are quite reasonable. I had wanted to go to Nice.Monte Carlo and Aix in June but it is too expensive. The end of March it is doable. I wont' be able to swim, which I wanted to do, but I can walk on the beach, look at the water, and do all the 'French' things. Would you go for this trip or my original plan of Florence-Lucca-Siena and San Gim?
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:37 AM

Either would be FABULOUS!!!!
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:36 AM

Both sound great, each is different. Somehow I think that Nice and Montecarlo are better in the warm summer months, since the beach in Nice and the water views in Montecarlo are fun in the summer. Florence is definitely better not in summertime, and touring Siena and San Gimignano also are easier to visit when it isn't so hot. Maybe make it an Italian spring trip and plan for France when you can get here in warmer weather.

Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 09:42 AM

Tuscany in March is quite nice. If you want to do Florence crowds are going to be bit thinner. In the countryside the crowds should be very light. We were there in early March a couple of years ago and had good weather. chilly at night but quite pleasant during the day.

As always during springtime anywhere plan for the possibility of showers.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 10:09 AM

I'm doing almost your trip the end of March-first part of April. I am staying in Siena for 2 nights with a day trip to San Gim. I will skip Florence and Lucca as I have been there several times. Then I am taking the train to Santa Margherita Ligure for 2 nights in route to Nice. I am staying 5 nights in Nice and flying out of Nice.
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 12:30 PM

You have no guarantee of pleasant weather in March, either in Italy or the coast of France. By choosing a place rich in indoor activities you can hedge your bets about not having your vacation "rained out."

I would opt for your Tuscany trip, and hope that the weather favors a trip to San Gimignano.