Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy off the beaten path - Le Marches , Abruzzo or Apulia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just looking for anyone's experience in these two areas as they are somewhat off the beaten path - did you enjoy it, what were your favorites, etc? thanks
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:26 PM

I have enjoyed the visits to these three areas very much, Puglia most as more varieties in sceneries and architectures.
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

thanks Judy - what villages did you visit, what were the most enjoyable things you did?
Old May 25th, 2009, 05:10 AM

I love Puglia, but I also love Abruzzo and go there frequently. There are never many foreign tourists there, so it feels genuinely off-the-beaten-path. Scanno and Pescaserroli (and the Parco d'Abruzzo Nazionale) are lovely. There are lots of scenic hilltowns to see in the area and prices are generally quite reasonable. All quite close to Rome, so you can combine it easily with a trip there.
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:29 AM

I can't compare it to the other areas since I haven't been, but Le Marche was a highlight of our 2007 trip to Italy. Urbino was charming - and hilly! Driving through the northern part of the region was, to me, even more picturesque than Tuscany. Mountains not hills. Not a lot of English is spoken but the people were friendly and patient, and we managed.
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Puglia and even Basilicata (next door) are by the far the nicest off the beaten track
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:57 AM

I've only been to Le Marche so I can't compare, but I can't help but think it all depends on what you are looking for -- other than being off the beaten path.

Le Marche is quite a varied area with an amazing range of experiences to offer, all connected by some of the best -- if mountainous roads -- in Italy. From the art treasures of Urbino, the charm of nearly unknown towns like Santangelo in Vado

http://www.ancientdream.net/borgo.php?id_bor=204

or Visso

http://www.deliciousitaly.com/visual...&regione_id=10

or the incomparable Ascoli Picneno

http://www.prenotazioni-online.info/...eno-piazza.jpg

to spectacular natural scenery in the mountains, and in the Conero area on the sea, or the grottoes near the Gola di Fulro, plus great fortress hilltowns like San Leo, or food destinations like Norcia or Acqualagna or Castelluccio, or true curiosities like Loreto -- and need I say, most of these places do double or triple duty, even quadruple duty as beauty spots, food destinations, historic locales with artistic treasures?

But it depends on what time of year you are going and how much you want to drive.
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

We'll probably go in either late April or late September. Trying to decide now if the best thing is to fly into florence and out of rome or just in and out of rome. Will two to three weeks be enough to really enjoy it?
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:36 AM

I think if you are going in late April it is possibly too early to get the most out of Le Marche, but September would be ideal.

I think two or three weeks would provide you with a memorable trip in Le Marche.
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:37 AM

By the way, the Marche Voyager website is very well organized with helpful information about the variety of towns in the region.
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:48 AM

cmeyer54,
See http://www.le-marche.com/rental/html/pieve.htm
and
http://www.le-marche.com/

Henry