Italy Itinerary- Will somebody critique?

Jan 26th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Italy Itinerary- Will somebody critique?

Mid-May. I will be alone most of the trip. I have lots of stamina, so I can go-go-go. Venice is the place I want to see the most (plus I am meeting a friend there.)

I like cities, churches, walking, people watching, some museum-ing. I am not much of a shopper or a diner. I would like to see some small hill towns but not immerse self in them. Will travel by train.

4 nights Rome (Vatican is #1 on must-see list)

3 nights Florence, will take a day trip from there but not sure where

2 nights....not sure where....Siena? Or an alpine lake town? Or add an extra day to Venice or Rome and do some day trips?

5 nights Venice

Does this sound OK? Is there time in there for CT or some place on the beautiful coast on the days between Florence and Venice maybe?
Jan 26th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Well, since you are heading north and east, how about Rome, then Florence, keeping the same number of nights, then someplace totally different. Maybe Bellagio or Varenna for 3 nights, considering getting there is a little slow, then Venice for 4 nights.

Or Verona for two nights after Florence, then all of your 5 nights in Venice.

Twer me, I don't think I would day trip from Florence, as there is just too much to see. If you need to get out of town, go to Fiesole, or walk the long way around to San Miniato al Monte.

I here you on the go go go, but do take the time to actually see what there is to see in each place that you are visiting.
Jan 26th, 2007, 06:56 PM

How many actual days do you have in Florence? if you have 3 and depending on your tastes, you may like to do a day tour? I'm not really an arty person and one day in Florence was enough for me. type in " day tours from florence to cinque terre" or "day tours from florence" on the google page and you will get lots of ideas and companies offering such. I used this company http://www.appianline.it for a 3 day tour from Rome to sorrento, capri and pompeii, but they also do day tours aswell- just a thought!
Hope you have a good trip
Jan 27th, 2007, 07:57 AM
ira

Hi V,

>2 nights....not sure where....Siena? <

Good idea.

Jan 27th, 2007, 08:23 AM

On your overnights in Siena you could take a side trip to San Gimignano, a postcard-perfect hill town...or maybe even a day trip that includes several hill towns.

May is a great month in Italy.