Reload this Page >

Italy itinerary suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 09:44 AM
the turnip

Greetings fellow Fodorites! <BR> <BR>First and foremost a big THANKS to all who weighed in on the "where would you go?" dilema. My wife and I have decided to go to Italy next May despite the possibility it may be crowded. <BR> <BR>Here is our initial itinerary. I'd love to hear your suggestions. Also, at this point in time we're planning on renting a car as we leave Rome. <BR> <BR>arrive Roma <BR>3 days Roma <BR>3 days hill towns, Orvieto & Sienna? <BR>2 days Venice <BR>2 days Dolomites <BR>3 days Cinque Terra <BR>depart from Milan <BR> <BR>We're debating if our time in the Dolomites will be well spent or if we would be better served exploring some small towns in Tuscany and Umbria. We certainly don't want to spend our whole trip in big cities! <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance!

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 10:14 AM
Kris

Hi there Turnip - <BR> <BR>We just got back from a great trip to Italy - our first. We had two nights in the Cinque Terre and thought that was too much. Definitely don't make is a weekend there if you can help it. It's pretty touristy. <BR> <BR>We spent a good deal of time in Tuscany and Umbria. We were absolutely enchanted by the ancient towns of Assisi, Cortona, Gubbio, Montepulciano and Todi. I would shave days off Cinque Terre to make time for these special places. <BR> <BR>Also - reasonably close the the Cinque Terre is Lucca - an incredible ancient walled city. <BR> <BR>Buon Viaggio!

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 10:24 AM
Carol

Turnip: sounds like a good itinerary--BUT--I can't believe you're leaving Florence out completely. I'm not saying that you have to stay in the city, but it seems a shame to be so close and not spend time there.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 10:32 AM
martha python

Carol, you bad girl, quit it! "We'll be so close it seems a shame not to spend time there" is the sure path to madness and overpacked itineraries. <BR>Congrats to the Turnip for planning a trip as though it's just one of many to come. <BR>What are you going to do with the car in Venice?

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 10:50 AM
the turnip

That's a darn good question! Where do I park my car while in Venice??? Anyone?

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 11:06 AM
Richard

I think I would spend another day in Rome,pick up the car, a day trip to Tivoli (Hadrian's Villa) and another to Pompeii. Drive to Orvieto, (1 night, leave next afternoon for Siena. 2 nights in Siena, to La Spezia (1 night) walk the CT, stay in Monterosso (1 Night), train back to La Spezia to your car that you've parked at the rail station. Drive to Pisa, drop off the car and train to Venice and then to Milan (buses from the Milano Centrale to Malpensa). As beautiful as the Dolomites are, they are out of your way.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 11:07 AM
Richard

I think I would spend another day in Rome,pick up the car, a day trip to Tivoli (Hadrian's Villa) and another to Pompeii. Drive to Orvieto, (1 night, leave next afternoon for Siena. 2 nights in Siena, to La Spezia (1 night) walk the CT, stay in Monterosso (1 Night), train back to La Spezia to your car that you've parked at the rail station. Drive to Pisa, drop off the car and train to Venice and then to Milan (buses from the Milano Centrale to Malpensa). As beautiful as the Dolomites are, they are out of your way.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 12:40 PM
andrea

there's a parking garage by the water taxi that was pretty reasonable. I'm sorry I can't remember the name, but try not to leave valuables in the car because you have to leave the keys. It was about $37.00 (US) overnight. 2 days is just enough in Venice, enjoy!

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 12:51 PM
mwg

I agree that the Dolomites are too far. Otherwise, the plans are fine and leaving a big city (Florence) out to see other things is fine. I find Florence incredibly touristy - of course other places are touristy too. With the time not used to go to the Dolomites, you can pick up some other sites around Rome or perhaps Lake Garda, in Northern Italy and beautiful with mountains nearby but not quite as far as the Dolomites.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 12:58 PM
Carol

It's me again. Turnip, I didn't want to overload you. It's just that I'm such a fanatic about Renaissance art that I assume everyone else is too. As far as I'm concerned, art is the only thing Florence has to offer, and if art's not high on your list, forget it!

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 01:16 PM
Patrick Ashton

I think your original itinerary sounds great. But maybe drive north to the Cinque Terra from Roma, then the rest, dumping the car in Venice and taking the train to Milan, if that's possible. <BR>And please don't stay in Monterossa and think you've been to the Cinque Terra. Are you into hiking? We stayed three nights in Manarola and spent both days hiking the coast trail in either direction and returning by boat or little train. Vernazza is the other option for a place to stay. Monterossa is indeed very touristy and has the least to offer, unless you like big rows of hotels. Perhaps, Lucca would be a good one night stop between the Cinque Terre and the rest of Tuscany or other "hill towns."

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 02:11 PM
Richard

Gotta totally disagree with Patrick re Monterosso. We arrived on a Friday night, everything was full, drove down the coast and returned on Sunday afternoon. Stayed at La Spiaggia, my wife checked us in and this big, surly guy told her "no plastic, cash only". Went for a walk behind the hotels and found a street fair going on, squeaky band, ladies selling fried dough (Texas funnel cakes), games, reminded me of the fireman's carnivals we used to have. Ready to leave, a bride comes walking down the street, a tradition we later found out, so the neighborhood could give her good wishes. Next morning, checking out, same burly-surly guy, "of course we take credit cards", told him we were heading for Sicilia and he insisted we wait while he had the cook make us two huge sandwiches, they lasted for 2 lunches. This all took place 4 years ago, so maybe it's changed, I hope not.

Old Oct 22nd, 1999, 02:22 PM
lola

Turnip- I'd trade the Dolomites (or Cinque Terra) for the art treasures in Florence, which are unique in the world. Those natural regions of Italy, while beautiful, are not as incredible, relatively speaking--to me-- as David, or the Doors of Paradise. Even if you are not an art lover, you may leave Florence as one. You can't find that kind of Renaissance art anywhere else, but you can find glorious hiking and mountains and lakes. So please at least consider a switch....