Italy Itinerary Quandary

Search

Italy Itinerary Quandary

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2003, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Itinerary Quandary

I want to go in June 2004, about 24 days but ony 3 Sundays. That means a Tuesday arrival.

What I want to do, a week apt in Sorrento and Rome, and then 4 or 5 days each in Florence and Venice seems to be very difficult owing to the usual Sat-Sat arrangment and my Sundays limit. Rome and Sorrento are the two places I really want 7 days.

The best solution I can think of is fly to Rome, 4 days in a hotel, (thinking a hotel right away in a new country before tackling an apt is a good plan) - then Sat-Sat apt in Sorrento, then back to Rome for a few more days, then Florence and Venice.

This probably limits apt choices for Rome and FLorence, it does seem Venice has more choices of apts for under a week. Is it totally nuts to go to Rome, go somewhere else for a week and then come back? Can anyone think of another solution?

Joelle
Old May 12th, 2003, 04:51 AM

Hi
How about flying into Venice first?
If you can't go directly from your home base, then fly into a European hub and go straight on to Venice.
After Venice you could train to Florence, train to Rome, train to Sorrento. Fly home from Rome.

I try to avoid the back and forth ideas.
It wastes too much time on intercity travel imo. and also, I prefer to finish one city experience and then go on to something different.
Old May 12th, 2003, 04:51 AM

Why not just stay in a hotel where you can't get an apartment for whatever the reason might be?
Old May 12th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention I have a teenaged son and daughter coming along. I'm a widow. So if not a two bed apartment, an expensive suite or two hotel rooms. Three of us in a room is not good for more than a couple of days.

I thought about Venice first, but my understanding is that in the summer it's better to start south and go north, and it still leaves me with less days in Sorrento than I'd like...

I'm thinking of going back to plan A - which is Tues -Sat, hotel in Sorrento (given a choice between giving up days here or Rome, I'll have to give up days here) then Sat-Sat Rome, Sat-Sat Florence and 5 days in Venice.

It's funny how no matter how many days you have (I first began thinking this would be a two week trip), there's not enough time.
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:56 AM
dln

Try looking at www.sleepinitaly.com. They have apartments available for as little as three days. I can't personally describe their apartments because we haven't made our trip yet (in Sept. 03) but I've booked with them and thus far my dealings with them have been efficient & courteous. We are planning to stay at Hotel Il Nido in Sorrento. My parents have personally recommended them. The rates are reasonable, views are wonderful, they'll feed you breakfast. Plus, they're set up for accomodating families, which might suit you. Their website is full of useful info even if you don't stay there!

Old May 30th, 2003, 07:36 AM

I'm booked thru sleepinitaly.com, also, and have so far found the service great for my upcoming four night stay in Florence.

An idea for Venice is venicerentals.com. I'm using them for an apartment for four nights, as well.

I have also seen that both websites/companies offer three night stays, too.

Good luck.
Old May 30th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the new responses. Kind of thinking of a new plan now--fly into Florence (maybe even Pisa and see that right away) Tuesday-Sat, down to Rome for Sat-Sat rental, Sorrento Sat-Sat and don't groan - it's an adventure - night train from Naples to Venice. .

Less time in Florence, but you just can't do everything and Sorrento and Rome are the places we seem to want to do the most. But I've got a year to come up with a new plan. It's more than a year away and I think about this trip everyday! We even have Italian word stickers on stuff in our house.