Reload this Page >

Italy Itinerary February

Search

Italy Itinerary February

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 06:20 AM
Kelly

Italy Itinerary February

This will be our first visit to italy. We'll likely fly into Rome (if price is right). Wondering if we can manage one night and the next day in Rome, two days in Venice then the remaining 4 days in Florence area and maybe drive down as far as Siena (we'll stay outside of Florence in a smaller hill town and use our rental car to explore). We're not into big cities but feel like we should at least see a couple of sites in Rome and want to experience the romance of Venice and some sites in Florence. Since it will be in mid to late February I'm guessing it will be cold maybe rainy, but much less crowded. I'm a little worried about driving around on our own (no europe driving experience). Would this itinerary be manageable? <BR> <BR>Any thoughts? <BR> <BR>-Kelly

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 09:09 AM
Paulo

A few things to consider, Kelly. <BR> <BR>I'm not going to try to talk you out of your plan to visit the big three, having only 7 nights to spare. If you indeed maintain this and considering that in February your days are kind of short, you should make an effort to minimize travel time within Italy. This would call for flying into Rome and out from Venice or vice-versa (even if the ticket price turns out somewhat higher). <BR> <BR>Venice will be very expensive from the 16th to the 28th. From the 23rd to the 27th it will be completely crowded and I wouldn't try to get there without a firm room. Ever heard of Venice's Carnival? <BR> <BR>Don't worry about driving in Tuscany. The roads in February should be empty. If your plan is mainly visiting Siena, it may be better (and much cheaper) to go by SITA bus. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 01:15 PM
howard

Why bother with Rome at all? Save that for your next trip. Instead fly into Florence or Venice. <BR>If you are intent on hitting Rome first, you have not planned out a logical route. If I understand your itinerary, you plan to make the long drive from Rome to Venice and then backtrack to the Florence/Tuscany area. If anything, I'd reverse the Venice and Florence sequence and fly out of your last destination. It may cost you more money to fly, but weighed against spending all that time in a car to drive back to Rome, it might seem worth it. With only seven days, you should try to minimize your travel time.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 01:31 PM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Kelly <BR>Hasve to agree with Howard, leave Rome <BR>for your next trip. Flying into Florence, three nights there and then <BR>by rail to Venice with an additioinal <BR>three nights there. Either rail back <BR>to Rome or fly out of Venice. Do not <BR>try to see too much in too short of a <BR>time. There is so much in either city <BR>that even three days can not be enough. <BR>If the dates of carnival conflict with <BR>your visit to Venice, would forget Venice and return the three days in Rome. Need any ristorante recommendations drop me a line. Richard of La Grange Park, Il...

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 01:36 PM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, again, Kelly <BR>Florence has a very lot to offer not <BR>only in sightseeing but exceptional <BR>hotels and ristorantes. Staying out <BR>of town in an off seasom will certainlyu <BR>limit the hotels and ristorantes available. Rail service from Firenze SM <BR>is excellant to Siena and also to Piza <BR>and other towns in Tuscany. You should <BR>not drive into Florence by car as it can <BR>be confusing , a lot of streets are one <BR>way and getting to your destination can <BR>be difficult and then the parking. <BR>Siena can also be a rough town to drive <BR>into also. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il..

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 02:02 PM
Kelly

Yes, we agree Rome is probably too much. But now I wonder if we CAN get decent accommodations in Venice during Carnival time frame. Hmmm. We want to be in Italy during that time because of a special birthday celebration (main reason for the whole trip). Does anyone have experience with Carnival in Venice? I think I read one other post but I'll have to find it again. We could try to do Florence first and do Venice after Carnival (but then it will probably be in a state of

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 04:02 AM
Paulo

In my old good student days I went to Venice over the Carnival festival once. It sure was fun and a memorable experience. Many events take place every single day (from free parades in various Venice's quarters to quite expensive private balls in palaces). I've never seen a report of somebody going there in that period and not loving it (even though expensive). Hotel rates in the Carnival period are at their (highest possible season in Venice). One has to book well in advance. There are some hotels that plainly won't book for the Sunday and Monday, or Tuesday and Wednseday nights only (one has a better chance choosing either Saturday/Sunday or Monday/Tuesday). Many rooms are blocked by tour companies from Saturday to Tuesday. On Ash Wednesday the visitor number is cut to about half. If you decide going to Venice after Carnival, don't worry ... it'll be as beautiful as always <BR>Paulo