Search

Italy Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy Itinerary

There are so many places I want to go that I am struggling with my itinerary. I figured one more post and maybe I'll figure it out. It is for my honeymoon this June for 12 days!! Here are the options:

Rome - 3 nights
Train to Venice
Venice -2 NIghts
Overnight train to Naples
Positano - 5 nights

OR:

Rome 3-4 Nights
Tuscany - 3 Nights (Where is a good base?)
Positano - 5 NIghts

Besides seeing the major sites, my fiance and I really just like exploring towns and experiencing the culture! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! I know I have posted before so thanks for your help again!!!
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 02:20 PM

Have you thought of flying into Venice then going to Rome and working your way down from there? Mrco Polo airport is really quite nice and being on a honeymoon, arriving into Venice on the waterbus is so very romantic - it would get your honeymoon off to a very beautiful start.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 02:29 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If you haven't booked flights yet, fly into Venice (3 nights), fly to Naples on one of the budget airlines (EasyJet or Meridiana - watch for fees on extra or overweight luggage and they are strict about check in times) and transfer to Positano (4 nights), train to Rome for last 3 or 4 nights (you aren't quite clear on how many nights you have). Fly home from Rome.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 02:36 PM

Tiggy22 has good suggestions. Besides, this way you are not backtracking between Rome, Venice and Naples. I don't know from where you will be coming, but have you thought of an "open jaw" to Venice and return from Naples? Or, if you like bigger airports return from Rome (i.e. Venice inbound, Rome outbound; Naples airport is a bit of a mess, sometimes.)

Tuscany: You probably would like Siena as a base; many opportunities for day trips by car or bus, incl. Florence, S.Girmiano, etc.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 05:43 PM

With only 12 nites I would opt for only 3 destinations, and Positano seems to be mandatory. Sorry, but Venice may not make the cut. I like your 2nd option but you should change the order. Arrive Rome but start in Tuscany ,then Positano, and end in Rome--perhaps 4 days each. If you do not want to drive in Tuscany then use Siena as your base. Good luck!