Reload this Page >

Italy in spring with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:37 PM
Mary Kay Bersrducci

We are flying into Rome and travelling up to Milan over the course of 2 weeks. We plan on staying in Tuscany for awhile. Our kids are 15 12 7 and 16 mos, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 06:45 PM
Dean Gold

We just returned from a trip with out nephews aged 12 and 13. This trip was a great reason for my wife and I to remain childless. <BR> <BR>Tuscany was great with the kids. They liked big things. Big like the Duomo and leaning tower in Pisa. The David in Firenze. San Gimignano and the towers. Montalcino. <BR> <BR>The coloseum in Rome. San Clemente in Rome (three levels dating back almost 2500 years with a Mithraic temple below a 4th centuary Christian church under the present day Basilica. The Vatican (take a guided tour in English, reserve over the internet thru Il Sogno <BR>http://www.romeguide.it/MONUM/ARCHEOL/ARCHEOIN.HTM). The Foro Romano and Foro Palantino. <BR> <BR>Near Milano is the Certosa di Pavia, an incredible monastery. <BR> <BR>A few more tips: Stop for Gelato every afternoon. Don't dine too late. Even ok pizza is a great meal for a kid. Remember, you eventually will be able to go to Italy without them!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 02:43 AM
jg

We just returned from a trip to Italy with a 12 year old and a 10 year old. We read two books before leaving: "Vendela in Venice", by Christina Bjork and "The Diary of Melanie Martin or How I Survived Matt the Brat, Michelangelo, and the Leaning Tower of Pizza", by Carol Weston. These were huge hits. My kids loved looking for and experiencing some of the same things the characters did. I really recommend reading these to them before going. Also, if you're looking for recommended towns in Tuscany -- they loved Lucca because they could ride bikes on its walls, plus it's very close to Pisa.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 11:37 AM
Susan

Just spent time in Tuscany with my 8 and 6 year olds and here's what they enjoyed: staying at a place with a pool, lighting candles in the churches, eating gelato every day, the leaning tower, riding bikes on the wall in Lucca, eating pasta and pizza every day. The roads are a little windy so if you have anyone prone to car sickness bring medication. If you can stay in one place for a week I'd recommend renting a villa. We booked through initaly.com and stayed in a phenomenal place just north of Siena and near Monteriggioni. It was nice to go shopping at the coop and cook some of our own meals. And that location was central enough for us to make day trips to Chianti, Montepulciano, San Gim and many others. Enjoy!

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 10:45 PM
Gar

hi there,<BR>a nice place for kids is the village Vinci - where Leonardo da Vinci was born. They have a nice museum there with models of his famous inventions. Just great for kids and adults to look at. And not too touristic.<BR>have fun<BR>Gar

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 12:40 AM
Sara

To Dean Gold - why did the trip give you a reason to remain childless? Seriously - was the whole thing too much for them cuz I was thinking of bringing my young'ins. Were they tired or just not "into it?" How long was your trip?

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:28 AM
matt

Last May my wife and I took our four children and a nephew to Italy (ages 17,15,13,10,8) We stayed a week in the Cinque Terre. Everyone loved the swimming/snorkling in Riomaggiore<BR>(When the sun was out, the water was nice) I think the snorkling equipment went for about $5 US for the day. Paddleboats in Monterosso al Mare.<BR>And the short hikes along the coast.<BR>For us, the piazza at Vernazze was nice for the outdoor cafe, and the ample play area for all the kids (they even have an old watchtower that you can climb for a small fee).<BR>This February we are taking our kids back to Rome (no nephew this trip).<BR>We plan on taking the 15 year old through the Underground Scavi tour at St. Peters. all the kids will climb to the top of St. Peter's Dome (Cupola)<BR>And all will go to the Colesseum and Ostia Antica<BR>Oh, Gelato breaks are manditory at least three times a day.<BR>Enjoy

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 11:29 AM
xxx

Good luck with the 16 month old. sounds like a good way to ruin a trip.<BR><BR>xxx

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 12:09 PM
sandi

My 12 yr old son loved the catacombs at the San Clemente church too, along with just about everything in Rome. He was in awe for hrs in the Sistine Chapel.<BR>Gelato can make any day a good day.<BR><BR>In Florence, he discovered the best pizza of his life, the incredible Museum of Science, climbing the stairs to the top of the duomo, seeing David and the Piazza della Signoria.<BR><BR>San Gimignano is great also with the wonderful towers to climb. Stop off in Vinci and go to Leonardo's home and museum. They'll love that.<BR><BR>Sounds like Dean and I had the same trip!<BR><BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 07:35 PM
Dean

Sara<BR><BR>It wasnt that the whole thing was too much for them but that they were almost too much for us. We were constantly dealing with their needs one way or another. Actually it was fun and we loved being with them. We could see their growth in our 2 short weeks with them (something their parents have reported back to us post trip). But it was exhausting nonetheless.<BR><BR>They loved the trip but in a very different way than we did. to them what made it wonderful was stuff. Big buildings, big crowds etc. They did not like the small stuff like the beautiful church in themiddle of newhere. They did love the gelato best. Make sure you go to BIG monuments like the leaning tower, the duomo in florence or Pisa, St Peters, San clemente etc. FOrget teh subtle.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 07:36 PM
Dean

Kay<BR><BR>Lots of gelato and wine. You should have some too!